Lewis Morgan

Lewis may play a blinder, again,  against England next month. So say in Jan 5 Clubs ask the agent how much does your boy want and all 5 agree to pay Lewis what he wants - and its not necessarily who may pay a bit more but who is best for Lewis's career - several Clubs matching a player's terms is quite common. So Lewis has to decide which suitor to go for.  Burton Albion for example want him but they are in a relegation place in the Championship at the moment - why would he want to go there even if they meet his terms when maybe Stoke in the Premiership are interested? But will he be anywhere near the first team for Stoke? And where will Stoke be at the end of the season?

Considering the money awash in the Championship I would offer a decent amount to SMFC to secure the deal a January then and there because at the end of the season there may be 10 Clubs interested and the chances of wooing him decrease.

I am aware we do not hold many cards but I still believe there will be a bidding war and a chance to secure something half decent rather than nothing in May. But who knows. Personally if I was Lewis's agent I would do nothing until May and hope his form doesn't drop or he breaks his leg.

Edited by Sonny

Dedicated to our "Star Man"

There's a starman waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
There's a starman waiting in the sky
He's told us not to blow it
Cause he knows it's all worthwhile
He told me:
Let the children lose it
Let the children use it
Let all the children boogie

Edited by Lord Pityme

I've been trying to work out what the development compensation would be for Morgan. Think we picked him up from Rangers so I don't think he's been with us as long as McGinn was.

Reading the rules it suggests clubs are due £10K for each season the player was developed with us whilst the club was in the Premiership, and £9K for each season whilst we were in the Championship.

That doesn't really stack up though with the papers reporting that a development fee of "around £200K" would have been payable in the McGinn case. John was only 20 so unless he signed for us as a baby I'm not sure how we'd have been due £200K based on the numbers in the rulebook.

I must be missing something!

25 minutes ago, Greenhill Road said:

For me the most important thing is keeping him till the end of the season. Lewis leaves with a league winners medal, we get £100k development fee (or whatever we are due) and I'll be a happy buddie.
There is no chance of his agent letting him sign again for us. Let's just enjoy him terrorising our opponents all season emoji469.pngemoji471.png
COYS

I believe Lewis has the same agent now as Kyle McAllister. :huh:

42 minutes ago, div said:

I've been trying to work out what the development compensation would be for Morgan. Think we picked him up from Rangers so I don't think he's been with us as long as McGinn was.

Reading the rules it suggests clubs are due £10K for each season the player was developed with us whilst the club was in the Premiership, and £9K for each season whilst we were in the Championship.

That doesn't really stack up though with the papers reporting that a development fee of "around £200K" would have been payable in the McGinn case. John was only 20 so unless he signed for us as a baby I'm not sure how we'd have been due £200K based on the numbers in the rulebook.

I understand that compensation is set based upon the cost associated for the "buying" club for developing the player themselves. So if he moves up to a championship side down south the compensation would have been set based upon the amount in a table related to that league, as opposed to ours. That would bump it up a few pounds I would imagine.

Can find the categories and amounts per association, but not by leagues. Scottish Leagues have categories 2-4 with compensation set at €60k, €30k, and €10k respectively. English association also has category 1 which has €90k followed by the same as Scottish Leagues. Training up to 16 is always set at category 4, with the compensation after 16 set at the level of the "buying" club. So if he was to leave us for a Category 1 club we would get €400k (4 x €90k and 4 x €10k - compensation is only from age 12), of which The Rangers would be entitled to €40k. So for a "buying" club it might make sense to get us to agree a deal, given exchange rates, at £300k with add-ons and/or loan deal.

Edit to add - Derby is a Category 1 club as an example, with Barnsley a Category 2.

Edited by madball

He should look at what has happened to Mallen and McAllister and see what could happen. Best to stay put and develop rather than waste away in reserve football.

Wee bit harsh.

Kyle was signed specifically to play in the Derby Academy initially, and was injured for the whole time after he joined. He's now in the academy where he is being developed for the reserve and ultimately first team.

Mallan will be a bit disappointed not to have featured yet but he's not been there long. It's a big jump from our Championship to the English one. Wee bit of patience and he will get the chance I'm sure.

If you look at Ryan Fraser who left Aberdeen for Bournemouth at a very young age, didn't hear anything about him for ages and yet now he's holding his own in the EPL.

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Or Maybe he might realise Fitzy's dream and go after Celtic's crown next year...................

We keep talking about English clubs

In last season cup he impressed against them and someone already remarked shows more promise than Forrest

In the last 2 international games he has got MOTM so must be in a shout as regarded the best young player in the country

I think they will be interested

Just now, windae cleaner said:

We keep talking about English clubs

In last season cup he impressed against them and someone already remarked shows more promise than Forrest

In the last 2 international games he has got MOTM so must be in a shout as regarded the best young player in the country

I think they will be interested

Yeah they could save £30m on Roberts........................

McGinn had been with us since he was 6.

He'd also captained Scotland u21's and won a national trophy. I think these things meant a bit more.

Lewis had only been with us 3 maybe 4 years.

Wee bit harsh.

Kyle was signed specifically to play in the Derby Academy initially, and was injured for the whole time after he joined. He's now in the academy where he is being developed for the reserve and ultimately first team.

Mallan will be a bit disappointed not to have featured yet but he's not been there long. It's a big jump from our Championship to the English one. Wee bit of patience and he will get the chance I'm sure.

If you look at Ryan Fraser who left Aberdeen for Bournemouth at a very young age, didn't hear anything about him for ages and yet now he's holding his own in the EPL.

I'm pretty certain Stephen McGinn was at Watford for 6 months before featuring regularly. The fitness levels up in Scotland are way short of what is required down south.

I think it's more things like upper and lower body strength, agility and endurance rather than simply fitness to run for 90 mins.   Midfield and forward players in the elite leagues run on average between 11 and 13 km per match , some have even managed over 15km.  In one Champions League game (last season I think) every outfield player covered more than 12km.  At Scottish and the lower two  leagues down south players have the fitness  to run similar distances but apparently not with the same power, strength and agility.  That is what I think is claimed about players making the step up and why so many "good" players end up coming back to Scotland classed as failures.

This is actually a no brainer. Keep Morgan then we have one hell of a chance of winning the league. If we do that we'll make more than we would by selling Morgan in January... Who Knows, if we go up he might sign up for a few more years with the promise of being allowed to leave if the big guns come in for him.

I think many on here aren't grasping the reality of things. If Lewis' agent negotiates a PCA with another club Saints can't do anything about it. It really is that simple. They can't stop the deal. they can't demand a fee. It would be the other club who say, "He's ours. There's nowt you can do about it. Take the 80,000 in May or we might give you a little more if you let him come to us now.

That's the ONLY choice Saints' have.

In the face of that we'll see how determined the Board are to hold onto what might be a "down tools" player who may be concerned not to get injured. The only player I saw busting a gut for us when in that situation was Big Kirk.

34 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I think many on here aren't grasping the reality of things. If Lewis' agent negotiates a PCA with another club Saints can't do anything about it. It really is that simple. They can't stop the deal. they can't demand a fee. It would be the other club who say, "He's ours. There's nowt you can do about it. Take the 80,000 in May or we might give you a little more if you let him come to us now.

In the face of that we'll see how determined the Board are to hold onto what might be a "down tools" player who may be concerned not to get injured. The only player I saw busting a gut for us when in that situation was Big Kirk.

I think its very harsh to even suggest Lewis would down tools. His work rate, attitude and commitment has always been fantastic.

46 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Only if a PCA is signed.

Others have been speculating if a situation other than him signing a PCA arises, although I know signing a PCA is probably the most likely scenario.