Lewis Morgan

Report: St Mirren to make January loan demand as Celtic and Rangers fight for Lewis Morgan

According to the Scottish Daily Mail (Press Reader), St Mirren will demand that winger Lewis Morgan is loaned back to the club for the rest of the season as Celtic and Rangers scrap for his signature.

The summer transfer window closed just a matter of weeks ago, but some clubs are already preparing for the January transfer window, with Celtic and Rangers possibly vying for the same target.

St Mirren ace Morgan, 20, has become a star over the last year, hitting ten goals in 46 games last term before really hitting the headlines this term, with six goals in 11 outings for the Scottish Championship side.

The winger, formerly a youth player for Rangers, is now attracting huge interest, with the Scottish Daily Mail (Press Reader) reporting that Celtic and Rangers are among the clubs keen to sign Morgan in January.

Morgan is out of contract at the end of the season, but it's claimed that St Mirren would only sell him in January if a club meets their demand to loan him back to Paisley for the rest of the season.

St Mirren are second in the Scottish Championship right now and want Morgan to help their push for promotion, with Jack Ross' men seemingly unwilling to see out the second half of the season without their star youngster.

It now remains to be seen whether Celtic and Rangers accept those demands, but they may be able to given that Celtic signed three wingers over the summer in Jonny Hayes, Odsonne Edouard and Patrick Roberts, whilst Rangers added three of their own as Daniel Candeias, Aaron Nemane and Dalcio all arrived at Ibrox.

Rangers will be keen to bring Morgan back to Ibrox having previously had him in their youth setup, but Celtic's lure of title challenges and Champions League football could be appealing, if Morgan ends up having to pick between the two Old Firm rivals.

42 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I would rather he left in January than end up playing for either of those scumbags.

Here is thing though, if its Celtic he wont play, just be loaned out to some 4th English mob. Look at Mallon, cant even get on the bench in the ELC , no game time, just a fee for his agent. He needs to be Hispanic  be considered for Sevco 

That's why I believe Lewis will put his trust in Jack. Hold off till the move is right for him 

I see Mallan played for Barnsley under 23's on Tues or Wed, scored. However, a few comments from their fans on their fan site said he looked lightweight and kept giving the ball away. Once their new owner comes in and starts splashing the cash, Mallan will be even further away from the first team. Maybe time for a wee loan deal.

6 minutes ago, melmac said:

I see Mallan played for Barnsley under 23's on Tues or Wed, scored. However, a few comments from their fans on their fan site said he looked lightweight and kept giving the ball away. Once their new owner comes in and starts splashing the cash, Mallan will be even further away from the first team. Maybe time for a wee loan deal.

Its a good point u make

Look how much talent just rots away from the first teams.

Celtic one of the worst of taking talent and then wasting it. Scott Allen, and now Hayes, and possibly Armstrong..... Stevie is a talent but as shown he gets better with pressure, hardly any of that with Barnsley U23s with one man and his dog watching 

A confidence thing?

Stevie without confidence at Saints was a poor player and a frustrated one at that as he himself knew he was capable of better.

Stevie feeling the love and full of confidence is a thing of brilliance..

A precocious talent capable of making the impossible look ridiculously easy.

Remember Charlie Adam at Rangers v a different player with the same name at Blackpool with a manager who believed in him?

Lewis would do very well to consider the Jack Ross effect.

Stevie Mallan benefited from it so much... and seems to be suffering for the lack of it!

On 21/09/2017 at 1:38 PM, DougJamie said:

Its a good point u make

Look how much talent just rots away from the first teams.

Celtic one of the worst of taking talent and then wasting it. Scott Allen, and now Hayes, and possibly Armstrong..... Stevie is a talent but as shown he gets better with pressure, hardly any of that with Barnsley U23s with one man and his dog watching 

Armstrong? :lol::lol:

He's been ever present and one of Brendan Rodgers' best players in his time at Celtic so far.

If so, in hindsight,  how wrong can a manager be?

I thought he worked hard and did hold the ball up when given the chance. I like the big fella and think he will play his part in our season.

I'd like to see more of Duffy, but a like for like change at a point in the game where we were under the cosh wouldn't have changed anything.

Hindsight, you say.

We won 3-1, so in hindsight, Jack got it right.

7 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

I thought he worked hard and did hold the ball up when given the chance. I like the big fella and think he will play his part in our season.

I'd like to see more of Duffy, but a like for like change at a point in the game where we were under the cosh wouldn't have changed anything.

Hindsight, you say.

We won 3-1, so in hindsight, Jack got it right.

The manager certainly did. Overall. I honestly felt Ross did nothing to hold the ball up and seemed unsure what his role was. By that time we were defending too deep as a team which didn't help.

Edited by stlucifer

I thought Ross did very well when he came on . He won free kicks ,throw ins and generally took a wee bit of pressure off our midfield . I think he looks very tidy ,especially with the ball at his feet for a big guy .

The big guy seems to be the new target for our unsatisfied customers, now that Baird seems to be slowly winning people over.