Lewis Morgan

All the chat about sell-on fees, we may never know if there is a sweetener in there but I'm sure we've said in the past 'undisclosed fee + add ons' which we didn't say yesterday. Worth pointing out though that we will be entitled to a small amount of any future sale anyway due to development rules. I think it ranges from 0.5 - 2.5% of future fees. Queens Park benefited from this rule with the Andrew Robertson transfer.  

21 minutes ago, shull said:

Maybe we could give a discount for today's match for Celtic Season Ticket Holders to come along to Greenhill Road to see their new superstar in action.

We might fill the place.

There's enough of them from Paisley anyway so they wouldn't have to travel far. Might be into it with their glory hunting attitudes as well. 

6 hours ago, notabuddie said:

I'm told by a celtic supporter that there is no sell on clause as there is an appearance fee if he plays x number of games etc.. He seems to be in the know about celtic contracts if Morgan does become an established first team player the contract is weighted in our favour if he does not make it then all we get is the 300k plus the loan this season

I was told by someone who is in direct dialogue with Morgan that there is in fact, a 15% sell on fee. There is of course a possibility that the details of the contract changed , but for now I know which source I prefer to believe. 

I think a few Celtic supporters will pop along to St Mirren Park this afternoon to watch Lewis.

I met my Celtic supporting neighbour last night and was talking to him about young Lewis and telling him to come along today and watch his new signing in action. He said he might give his St Mirren supporting mate Hammy a call and come down to the game.

Whilst I understand the contract situation I feel quite dissapointed that we have now sold McLean, Mcginn, Mallan, Mcallister and now Morgan all for combined fees of under 1m. I am not sure why but that seems as if we are giving them away. Does anyone know why we can't cash in like Hamilton etc seem to have over the years. Let's be honest some.of these fees are chicken feed.  McLean 200k to Aberdeen is a joke and I realise it's related to contract but 300k for Lewis again seems ridiculous.  Seems alot of our fans are delighted tho jumping thro hoops in fact

Edited by norrie82

16 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

Whilst I understand the contract situation I feel quite dissapointed that we have now sold McLean, Mcginn, Mallan, Mcallister and now Morgan all for combined fees of under 1m. I am not sure why but that seems as if we are giving them away. Does anyone know why we can't cash in like Hamilton etc seem to have over the years. Let's be honest some.of these fees are chicken feed.  McLean 200k to Aberdeen is a joke and I realise it's related to contract but 300k for Lewis again seems ridiculous.  Seems alot of our fans are delighted tho jumping thro hoops in fact

Show me one post that suggests the author is "delighted".  Realistic, yes.  Pragmatic, yes.

No-one is happy that Morgan is leaving. I haven't read a single post that indicates anyone is delighted with the deal. What I have read is folk having a sufficient enough grasp of reality to realise that, in the circumstances, it is a reasonable outcome for all involved. The key factor is Lewis remaining at St Mirren to see this season out. All the other elements can be debated, of course, but in terms of the here and now, this is probably as good as we could have reasonably have expected.

Delighted?  Don't be silly.

Edited by Drew

18 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

Can you give an accurate breakdown of these fees? 

McLean 200k,  Mcallister 225, Mallan 250k, Mcginn 100k plus add on. Morgan 300k.

This is what was mentioned in the press who I know can be wrong but generally this is he figures. So just over 1m. Falkirk got that for one player three years back when they sold a lad to Norwich. I understand it's complicated but I wonder why they and others have had good money whilst we always seem to be on the brink.of getting nothing and having to sell. 

3 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

McLean 200k,  Mcallister 225, Mallan 250k, Mcginn 100k plus add on. Morgan 300k.

This is what was mentioned in the press who I know can be wrong but generally this is he figures. So just over 1m. Falkirk got that for one player three years back when they sold a lad to Norwich. I understand it's complicated but I wonder why they and others have had good money whilst we always seem to be on the brink.of getting nothing and having to sell. 

Circumstances  in all cases which were outwith our control,Players agents dictating most such as  if a bid of a certain amount comes in it triggers their release followed by dont sign a new deal as the buying club wont have to pay as much for you.Carve ups between agents and chairmen of buying clubs account for some of the 1m pound players you speak about.Nice little earner guv.

16 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

I don't like his choice of clubs and think it's a mistake signing for them. but I wish Lewis the best of luck in his future career. Great lad brilliant player.

Hearing of the clubs that were interested and were willing to match the offer, I think Celtic is his best chance at first-team football, as Rodgers has been giving youth a chance and he rates Lewis highly. He is at an age where he can't be part of a development team, which was probably more likely down south and he was most likely given these assurances.

Whether he gets similar to Ryan Christie with  a loan out or he goes straight into the team in the summer, time will tell, though Morgan is a Rodgers signing and Christie wasn't.

1 hour ago, kevo_smfc said:

Hearing of the clubs that were interested and were willing to match the offer, I think Celtic is his best chance at first-team football, as Rodgers has been giving youth a chance and he rates Lewis highly. He is at an age where he can't be part of a development team, which was probably more likely down south and he was most likely given these assurances.

Whether he gets similar to Ryan Christie with  a loan out or he goes straight into the team in the summer, time will tell, though Morgan is a Rodgers signing and Christie wasn't.

Who were the other Clubs Kevo ????

2 hours ago, kevo_smfc said:

It doesn't matter if other clubs were willing to match the green bigot's offer, which I doubt anyway. If you read Morgan's interviews, he said that as soon as the green bigots  expressed their interest, there was only one place he was going.

3 hours ago, norrie82 said:

It's fine to be disappointed, I think most are. But I think it's just part of football. People need to remember than Hamilton haven't sold 10/ 15 players for millions. It's three or four in the last decade. For me it's luck with contracts more than anything else. Risk and reward deals. We could of offered Morgan a 3 or 4 year contract a couple years ago or broke the bank and maybe convinced him to do it last year same as McGinn, Mallan or anyone else but we might also of done the same with Thomas Reilly or lewis McLear etc and be stuck with them. 

Young players are very savvy about deals they sign up to (as advised by agents and family) so sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but I don't believe St Mirren are anyway at fault. We've just not had the few bits of luck other clubs have had. I think a great example is Magennis, he's had a willingness to sign a long term deal last year. If he didn't get injured he could be in the same situation as Morgan right now. Towards end of last season he was unplayable on occasions. If he was playing like Morgan right now he'd easily fetch seven figures because of his contract length. Just need a wee bit of luck sometimes IMO. 

6 hours ago, shull said:

Maybe we could give a discount for today's match for Celtic Season Ticket Holders to come along to Greenhill Road to see their new superstar in action.

We might fill the place.

F*ck the discount, pay the same as the rest of us. :P

3 hours ago, norrie82 said:

Does anyone know why we can't cash in like Hamilton etc seem to have over the years.

Yes.  Hamilton got lucky and had a couple of exceptionally  talented players who caught the eyes of English scouts.

We had a couple of players who moved to bigger Scottish clubs and are still not catching the attention of English scouts to my knowledge.