Massive Fire In London Tower Block

shull

Amazingly the Building is still ablaze.

Just seen that, yet the twin towers, wider/stronger & only damaged over a handful of floors relative to the building 'fell/imploded'

It's devastated [emoji853]

ZA : Fully expect dead to be over the 100 mark by some distance

3 hours ago, zurich_allan said:

My sister in law works at one of the main hospitals that people were being taken to. She has said that the number of deaths being publicised in the news is not far off of a tenth of the actual number... :-(

Shocking but not at all surprising. They reckon up to 500 people could have been in there. A major review of tower block safety must now follow. And if that entire Kensington estate isn't now razed I'll be amazed.

1 hour ago, buddiecat said:

The external face of the clading may be fire resistant, the insulation behind the pvc face is available in many grades and not all are fire resistant, also the gap between the existing wall and the new cladding acts like a chimney, it sucks up smoke and flames. I was made aware of this by the double glazing company i used to work for, some metal windows were being replaced in a property that had been clad beforehand, the installers used an angle grinder to cut out the windows and sparks set fire to the insulation in the cavity, the fire service had to be called to deal with it. The flames did not get inside the house though (it was a 2 storey house not a tower block) My main question would be, why was the fire able to get into every flat above the original fire. Gaps not filled/fire breaks not installed ? no idea but it looks like it was too easy for fire to get inside from outside.

Each floor in a high flat is like a concrete box , concrete is fire retardent so , under normal circumstances the fire would be contained on one floor for some reasonable amount of time , probably long enough for residents to escape . However , once you have EWI strapped to the walls the fire can now move from floor to floor rapidly as seen in London, helped along by the wind of course

Over the last few years there have been massive , national programmes to insulate properties , save fuel and be green( the UK signed up to Kyoto) . .

The thing that needs to be considered now is what they will do with other flats that have EWI. .

My flat got thermal insulation put on this year, ok it's only a two storey and I can jump if need be but within weeks of completion some dick snuck in and set the wheelie bins on fire. The fire officer who visited basically told us it was a good job the bins were up against the uninsulated stair well. Joy of joys !

9 minutes ago, FS said:

My flat got thermal insulation put on this year, ok it's only a two storey and I can jump if need be but within weeks of completion some dick snuck in and set the wheelie bins on fire. The fire officer who visited basically told us it was a good job the bins were up against the uninsulated stair well. Joy of joys !

IT will depend on what quality of EWl has been used . However , these jobs usually go out to tender. .

39 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Each floor in a high flat is like a concrete box , concrete is fire retardent so , under normal circumstances the fire would be contained on one floor for some reasonable amount of time , probably long enough for residents to escape . However , once you have EWI strapped to the walls the fire can now move from floor to floor rapidly as seen in London, helped along by the wind of course

Over the last few years there have been massive , national programmes to insulate properties , save fuel and be green( the UK signed up to Kyoto) . .

The thing that needs to be considered now is what they will do with other flats that have EWI. .

The fire getting into flats from outside is my concern - if that is what happened. There may be another reason the fire got up from inside though.

The response from the local community and business's have been heart warming.
Some comfort to those who survived, I fear lots more heartbreak for many in the hours/days to come.

Possibly longer ?

I'd imagine before recovering bodies ( sadly ) they will have to map it out , photograph in situ then cross reference it to landlord/ tenant list so they know what bodies came from what property due to how badly burned they will be. [emoji853]

Unbelievably sad

9 hours ago, buddiecat said:

The fire getting into flats from outside is my concern - if that is what happened. There may be another reason the fire got up from inside though.

From the looks of the footage , initially , the fire spread rapidly on the outside of the building by reason of the EWI. After that the fire would spread inside by reason of wall vents and windows failing due to the fire/heat  . 

That highflat had no gas I suspect but many do . .

Atrocities and disasters happen all over the world, probably daily..We don't get to hear about them all obviously , but from the London attacks , Manchester attack, this awful fire it truly is heartwarming to see so many people pull together get involved/help out/donate etc [emoji4]

Wouldn't it be good if this was our normal way off life without it being attached to such tragedy?

Humanity is a wonderful thing [emoji4]

8 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

From the looks of the footage , initially , the fire spread rapidly on the outside of the building by reason of the EWI. After that the fire would spread inside by reason of wall vents and windows failing due to the fire/heat  . 

That highflat had no gas I suspect but many do . .

I thought i had heard some residents talking about new gas fired heating being installed last year.

Police and the fire department have told a local up too 150 dead. The local asked channel 4 news why the main media are playing down the numbers.

Strong And Stable refused to meet locals on her walk about today there is no substance underneath the veneer.

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

watch how many of the political elite will duck n dive in any way to cover their arses. Starting with those at local levels. Public enquiry on way bit may take too long, watch too how many will take "early" retirement before the shit flies

Guest TPAFKATS

The daily mail has fallen from the gutter to a new level of sewer press by naming and printing a photo of the guy who's fridge went on fire allegedly starting the inferno.
Still, it takes attention off of those responsible for the actual building that went up like a rag.

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Shocking some are using this as a stick to try to prove some political point.

Absolutely no shame.

I seen this sort of stuff on Facebook which, TBH, is the norm.

Sad isn't it that people on both sides of the political spectrum use this for points instead of coming together to make sure it never happens again.

Worst I saw was a tweet saying if the Syrian gentleman had stayed in Calais he would be alive.

I am a very political person but now is not the time for a catfight.

1 minute ago, Longtimecoming said:

Sad isn't it that people on both sides of the political spectrum use this for points instead of coming together to make sure it never happens again.

Worst I saw was a tweet saying if the Syrian gentleman had stayed in Calais he would be alive.

I am a very political person but now is not the time for a catfight.

I've blocked someone on Facebook who, quite honestly, made me sick/fecking angry.

Just now, faraway saint said:

I've blocked someone on Facebook who, quite honestly, made me sick/fecking angry.

Don't do fb because of vindictive ex but am deliberately staying of twitter for same reason as these people make me sick.

Regardless of their race, ideology, age or bloody shoe size not one of these people deserved this cruel death.

May they rest in peace.

Guest TPAFKATS

Interesting points on newsnight from a lawyer who represented families involved in the previous London high rise.
She stated that there shouldn't be a public inquiry, there should instead be an inquest as it will be more open and impactial, allowing the families input that they won't get at a public inquiry.

Didn't see this, supposedly on channel4...................how does this person "know" the media and "everyone" is aware of this 150 figure? Time will tell..............

CHANNEL4 News tonight. Interviewed a young lady, Lilley Allen, who grew up in the area of the Kensington tower block. She asked Jon Snow why are the Mainstream Media managing the death count, the police, the fire crews, the media all know the death toll is 150 a lot of those children, stop saying it's 17. Jon Snow stuttered..yes we have heard those figures but they're not confirmed yet. She said everyone knows its 150 not 17 stop saying 17. She was shuffled off shot at that point.