Brexit Negotiations

Bud the Baker

Guest TPAFKATS

Typical of him to react without getting facts. (Should have asked the Ambassador).
As for the call for No confidence, I would say it's a case of making the tories who voted against May in their recent secret ballot to put their faces to the vote or make their party look bloody foolish and weak by now backing her.
It's really the only thing Corbyn could do as, if he went for a cote of no confidence in the government now I doubt the MPS on the opposite side of the house would pick this time of year to become the turkeys who voted for Christmas. NOR would the  DUP vote away what little influence they have.
Yesterday afternoon labour were congratulating the tactical genius of corbyn for 'forcing' may to have a date for a commons vote on her plan. It wasn't anything great, she chose week of 14th Jan which was as late as she could and in reality corbyn did nothing.
His mps even those who don't support him were full of congratulations to him for threatening a no confidence vote without needing to do one as it wouldn't be right time...
An hour or so later he announces a vote of no confidence in pm.

It won't be a binding vote, the tory rebels and dup might vote with him, they'll probably abstain or not turn up though.
Meaningless but if he wins a no confidence vote against government then he has to enact Labour policy of support for a "people's vote" which he doesn't want as he's in favour of brexit - just so long as he's not captaining the ship through the process [emoji6]

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

Yesterday afternoon labour were congratulating the tactical genius of corbyn for 'forcing' may to have a date for a commons vote on her plan. It wasn't anything great, she chose week of 14th Jan which was as late as she could and in reality corbyn did nothing.
His mps even those who don't support him were full of congratulations to him for threatening a no confidence vote without needing to do one as it wouldn't be right time...
An hour or so later he announces a vote of no confidence in pm.

It won't be a binding vote, the tory rebels and dup might vote with him, they'll probably abstain or not turn up though.
Meaningless but if he wins a no confidence vote against government then he has to enact Labour policy of support for a "people's vote" which he doesn't want as he's in favour of brexit - just so long as he's not captaining the ship through the process emoji6.png

All of this was either out of Corbyn's hands or, in the case of a vote of no confidence in the Government, a no win situation so, whether he supported stay or leave, his options were very limited. It's ok for the Libdems or SNP to call for a no confidence vote that would be forced on the government but the know Labour won't react so it's easy for them to demand it. They also know such a vote would end in failure for the opposition so making Labour look weak is a win, win for them.

Both large parties are in a pickle here and it's us, joe public, that'll ultimately suffer. This is why I think a new vote for the people is the best way forward. If those who voted leave were confident of a repeat then they would not be fighting so hard against it when our parliament cannot agree on the strategy.

12 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

All of this was either out of Corbyn's hands or, in the case of a vote of no confidence in the Government, a no win situation so, whether he supported stay or leave, his options were very limited. It's ok for the Libdems or SNP to call for a no confidence vote that would be forced on the government but the know Labour won't react so it's easy for them to demand it. They also know such a vote would end in failure for the opposition so making Labour look weak is a win, win for them.

Both large parties are in a pickle here and it's us, joe public, that'll ultimately suffer. This is why I think a new vote for the people is the best way forward. If those who voted leave were confident of a repeat then they would not be fighting so hard against it when our parliament cannot agree on the strategy.

I agree to a great extent with Lucy, giving the nation another vote isn't a concession to a failed system. If the leave voters vote the same way, now having all the information before them, then the country has to follow a leave the EU with or without a deal. In fact the EU will probably have to soften their stance as they will know for sure that the UK is leaving.

16 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I agree to a great extent with Lucy, giving the nation another vote isn't a concession to a failed system. If the leave voters vote the same way, now having all the information before them, then the country has to follow a leave the EU with or without a deal. In fact the EU will probably have to soften their stance as they will know for sure that the UK is leaving.

Don't mean to be precious but it's a wee bit disparaging misquoting my pseudonym when I don't do the same to you buddy. Unless you used my post when replying to someone else.

1 hour ago, The Original 59er said:

It's St Lucy, not Lucy.

You'll just upset her. 

The precious wee thing. 

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

Don't mean to be precious but it's a wee bit disparaging misquoting my pseudonym when I don't do the same to you buddy. Unless you used my post when replying to someone else.

I'm sorry stlucifer, people abbreviate my name frequently, not only in the pseudonym on this site, but also my name in a general context. 

I tend not to get too upset unless they call me "baw jaws" or some disparaging comment about my looks, then I just get grumpy! :angry:

Edited by The Original 59er

1 minute ago, The Original 59er said:

I'm sorry, stlucifer people abbreviate my name frequently, not only in the pseudonym on this site but also my name in a general context. 

I tend not to get too upset unless they call me baw jaws or some disparaging comment about my looks, then I just get grumpy! :angry:

Auld Grumpy Baw Jaws  :byebye

18 hours ago, FTOF said:

The reason why we have to import lobster and cod, is because there aren't sufficient numbers of lobster or cod in our waters due to them having been overfished for decades.

Cod in particular saw an 84% drop in stocks from the '70's to 2006. The population is recovering and is classed as sustainable now. However, the numbers are not sufficient to supply the UK's obsession with it.

Salmon is largely farmed, so that's got absolutely nothing to do with our fishing fleet.

I'll admit I should have been more detailed regarding my initial comment.

I should have said, that we don't import fish unless it can't be supplied from our own stocks in our waters or is a non-native species.

These imports are actually dropping.

Maybe rising fish stocks, due to excellent EU conservation measures, and the fact that we have the second largest fishing fleet by capacity in the EU , are making an impact.

I agree with the Cod FTOF but not with the lobsters. I used to fish for lobsters, brown crab and velvet crab in the mid-90's and 95% of our catch was sold to France, Spain and Portugal purely and simply because we got a better price from those markets. Huge vivier lorries used to come from Europe at least once a week to Oban to pick up our, and others, catch. Lobsters are still plentiful just now going by the catches landed this year.

Guest TPAFKATS
He (corbyn) still decided on yesterday's course of action. That was definitely in his hands.

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:
2 hours ago, stlucifer said:

He (corbyn) still decided on yesterday's course of action. That was definitely in his hands.

I did say that in my previous post. It was as much as he could do. The point of it was to challenge those who secretly opposed May to openly do it in Parliament or make their party look weak and foolish by backing May. I don't support Corbyn but I saw his dilemma. 

Guest TPAFKATS
I did say that in my previous post. It was as much as he could do. The point of it was to challenge those who secretly opposed May to openly do it in Parliament or make their party look weak and foolish by backing May. I don't support Corbyn but I saw his dilemma. 
Tories have came out and challenged him to call a confidence vote in government instead. He's gaining nothing here.
Would've been better leaving it

5 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Tories have came out and challenged him to call a confidence vote in government instead. He's gaining nothing here.
Would've been better leaving it

He was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He couldn't do nothing but there was nothing he could do because he can't force the government to bring the vote for the exit to the house pre Christmas. After the, probably, a negative vote there is more of a chance in getting some support or abstaining by those attached to power.

May is holding the country and those in parliament to ransom to save her own neck. She is beneath contempt.

Edited by stlucifer

Guest TPAFKATS
He was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He couldn't do nothing but there was nothing he could do because he can't force the government to bring the vote for the exit to the house pre Christmas. After the, probably, a negative vote there is more of a chance in getting some support or abstaining by those attached to power.
May is holding the country and those in parliament to ransom to save her own neck. She is beneath contempt.
She is indeed.
She's trying to waste time, he's assisting.

In football parlance she's holding the ball at the corner flag and corbyn keeps knocking it out for a throw in.

28 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

She is indeed.
She's trying to waste time, he's assisting.

In football parlance she's holding the ball at the corner flag and corbyn keeps knocking it out for a throw in.

Using that analogy,...

If he didn't keep kicking it she would still have the ball and he'd be blamed for not trying to get it up the park.

He was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He couldn't do nothing

That is ego talking. Pure and simple.

He knew he didn't have the arithmetic to win a VONC in the government and so he should have waited until he did.

What he has done is make himself look even more foolish than May.

Guest TPAFKATS
Using that analogy,...
If he didn't keep kicking it she would still have the ball and he'd be blamed for not trying to get it up the park.
He should just take one for the team and go through her two footed from behind.

Using that analogy,...

Obviously she has come down the right wing and Corbyn has come across and swung the left boot.....................

Problem is she might not have many right sided players left in her team. :blink: