Brexit Negotiations

Bud the Baker

On 1/24/2019 at 9:14 PM, Cornwall_Saint said:

It is indeed, Sturgeon is just biding her time. I think she’s waiting to see what happens on the 29th March when Brexit goes through, and then go from there. While Brexit deals can come and change until then I don’t think it would be wise to call one.

she can't call one without the ok from the engerlund Parliament

5 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Just saw a leaked document post Brexit which affects football.

1. UK Teams with non nationals will be permitted to keep them but compensation will be paid to the uk to accommodate them.

2. UK Teams with a player from : The Czech Republic will be awarded £1,000,000  ; Romania and Croatia  will be awarded £5,000,000 ; Denmark will be awarded £100,000

What would we do with over £2,000,000 ?

Re-hire Stubbs and Co on bigger salaries; Ask SMiSA members to up their contributions as the directors want a Vegas jolly (they'll put the money back later).

daddy, what’s brexit? - ha, well it’s a bit like if you wanted to do ballet lessons but i didn’t want to pay, so we’d discuss it for over two f**king years and eventually the government puts a finger in the arse of the economy and skull f**ks the future for you and your kids...

11 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

He forgot to say that, since Dyson moved production to the far east, not only men and women have jobs making his products, a bunch of children do as well.

Yes all those child labourer jobs in Malaysia are a disgrace.

https://careers.dyson.com/en-gb/search-results/?q=&page=1&minPage=1&maxPage=1&sort=Score&countries=23

1 hour ago, melmac said:

daddy, what’s brexit? - ha, well it’s a bit like if you wanted to do ballet lessons but i didn’t want to pay, so we’d discuss it for over two f**king years and eventually the government puts a finger in the arse of the economy and skull f**ks the future for you and your kids...

Deary me :lol:

So after all that, it looks like we at least have something which parliament can finally support.

May's deal with no hard Brexit and a fix for the backstop.

The EU will almost certainly budge on this now and when they do, it'll all go through pretty quickly and IMO we will see almost no difference in how the country works.

23 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

So after all that, it looks like we at least have something which parliament can finally support.

The EU will almost certainly budge on this now and when they do, it'll all go through pretty quickly and IMO we will see almost no difference in how the country works.

They've supported this on the basis that the EU will budge.  I suspect that the tory right have extracted a promise of an early resignation from TM once we are out.  If the EU  swallow this thing they have said is not up for discussion, then my crystal ball tells me the following

• we have an orderly exit based on the ongoing technical discussions
  • there will be chaos in parliament as we get the square root of bugger all from these discussions
  • If she hasn't already gone, the hard right in the tory party make it impossible for May to govern, so she resigns and the right's candidate takes over, making sure to appease the DUP 
  • the tories immediately withdraw from all agreements and demand the right to trade freely with Europe and the rest of the word simultaneously
  • we crash out of any deal with the EU, probably never to return

All of the above is based on as much fact as your assertion that the country will carry on much as before

32 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I hope your right , but I get the feeling the ERG are playing her , and that they know the EU won't come round , and we'll be two weeks closer to their favoured no deal !

2 minutes ago, billyg said:

I hope your right , but I get the feeling the ERG are playing her , and that they know the EU won't come round , and we'll be two weeks closer to their favoured no deal !

Yip, thats how i read it. The ERG who Major summed up perfectly want to try and look like they are uniting their party, having knifed the f**k out of May's back for months now. The DUP (who dont speak for the majority in NI) were desperate to get something to vote on that kept the money coming. And again trying not to look like the people who only say "No" and "Situation"

most people in NI want the backstop as it guarantees continued seamless access to the EU. And May is desperate for something, anything that makes her at least appear to have her party backing, and kick the can down the road a bit further in the hope that the crackpots in her party and a few others will eventually vote for her deal, (even when the EU say 'Non' to changing the agreement), as the only option to stop No Deal.

think on this, Ireland have insisted the backstop that May negotiated and agreed with the EU has to stay, unless we are in a Customs Union that means no real change. The EU have said consistently they will stand shoulder to shoulder with their member Ireland.

so who will the EU concede to/back up..? The UK who are leaving the EU, or Ireland a fully paid up continuing member?

May will come back with a few more warm words, the ERG crackpots will vote it down, article 50 will get extended, May will go, and a cross part consensus will negiotate a Customs Union & Single Market membership, as going back to the people would be feckin chaos.

then everyone gets to blame May, we move on.

16 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Yip, thats how i read it. The ERG who Major summed up perfectly want to try and look like they are uniting their party, having knifed the f**k out of May's back for months now. The DUP (who dont speak for the majority in NI) were desperate to get something to vote on that kept the money coming. And again trying not to look like the people who only say "No" and "Situation"

most people in NI want the backstop as it guarantees continued seamless access to the EU. And May is desperate for something, anything that makes her at least appear to have her party backing, and kick the can down the road a bit further in the hope that the crackpots in her party and a few others will eventually vote for her deal, (even when the EU say 'Non' to changing the agreement), as the only option to stop No Deal.

think on this, Ireland have insisted the backstop that May negotiated and agreed with the EU has to stay, unless we are in a Customs Union that means no real change. The EU have said consistently they will stand shoulder to shoulder with their member Ireland.

so who will the EU concede to/back up..? The UK who are leaving the EU, or Ireland a fully paid up continuing member?

May will come back with a few more warm words, the ERG crackpots will vote it down, article 50 will get extended, May will go, and a cross part consensus will negiotate a Customs Union & Single Market membership, as going back to the people would be feckin chaos.

then everyone gets to blame May, we move on.

And the above would be the optimistic outcome, at best....

10 minutes ago, antrin said:

And the above would be the optimistic outcome, at best....

Aye the stars need to be in exact alignment or we drift off into oblivion. Strangely we may still be counting on May's original Remain stance to get us to the place i described. The silly Brexiteers who were in big cabinet jobs all chucked it when they realised they woukd have to sell a bad deal to Brexiteers. So there influence, and therfor voice is diminished.

meaning the likes of May, Hammond, Rudd etc could conceivably set up such a cross party alliance when the EU say 'Non", as an alternative to mass cabinet resignations, and social/economic/political/civil turmoil.

the UK is the second highest consumer of FUDGE in the world! We cant get enough fudge, so a juicy big EU FUDGE would go down a treat, except of course with the 'Gammon Army' but lets face it, as long as Wetherspoons keeps knocking out pints for £2, free coffee refills till 2pm, and employs enough youngsters to throw a curry in a microwave till it pings every thursday so Gammons dont have to do that themselves..... they'll get over it citing tales to their grandchildren of the day they and 'Jimmy' nearly did go to B&Q to buy a high vis yellow vest.

Guest TPAFKATS
This is transparently obvious. It seems oaksoft ain't as clever as he likes to tell us. Or he's just gullible [emoji848]

Guest TPAFKATS
Is this the stupidest man in the country? Two weeks too late Jezza!

Jeremy Corbyn to meet Theresa May for Brexit talks

Labour leader to argue for customs union, single-market ties and workers’ rights

image.jpeg.1440f8083f08b1a88ff6c7832567a8de.jpeg

To some, he's a great 3 dimensional chess player with his approach to brexit.

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I'm not so sure, plenty EU politicians are on record as saying there will be no budging on the Backstop, it's not like "the details" are being argued behind closed doors and they can come out and say both sides gave a little bit. The PM has caved in to the ERG/DUP and is counting of the EU blinking and changing policy publicly. 

Edited by Bud the Baker

I hate all the pish about the backstop being the problem, it was never the problem.  The deal she negotiated is pish, following EU rules with no say over the formation of those rules and no veto and no freedom to strike our own trade deals elsewhere (as if they could replace what we have on our doorstep anyway).  The only thing I agree with Boris on is that it makes us a vassal state with limited options for the future.

The backstop has been the handy excuse for politicians to roll back their opposition to this deal or any form of exit and they have used it to abdicate their responsibility to pull us out of the shit we voted for.

Edited by beyond our ken

The only use of this process is to highlight how politics works in the UK, its got nothing to do with the greater good

The Tories come together to regain power, then split, then lend support to their own Leader on a deal bt deal basis- Moving  more Right by the day

Labour contradict themselves constantly, their Leader is hopeless and now has lost his last 2 motions to the House- Moving More Left by the day

The Liberals with Cable ( is he 100 yet?) Rant on again about what they think people want , trying to take a Centre Ground   looking as out of touch and dead as the polls suggest

And last but not least..... the SNPs, who clearly have no backing by Lab or the Tories ( 80% of  the House) and actually sound like a broken record, even the DUP shot them down on the devolved power line................... fecking get a back bone, leave Westminster and if required vote by proxy

Hope the EU say no, then lets see if the WTO agreement pans out, the arrogance of our govt is unbelieveable  

Guest TPAFKATS
I'm not so sure, plenty EU politicians are on record as saying there will be no budging on the Backstop, it's not like "the details" are being argued behind closed doors and they can come out and say both sides gave a little bit. The PM has caved in to the ERG/DUP and is counting of the EU blinking and changing policy publicly. 
The EU, member countries and various other politicians made this clear before and immediately after yesterday's debate.
Not sure if it's denial or just being competely gullible from those touting this line that this is a win for UK.

I'm not generally a Guardian reader, I leave that to my leftist leaning friends who will occasionally send me the odd gem or two from the paper. So it's not that often that I find that their offerings ring my bell, but the attached certainly did!

I think most of us are totally pi**ed off with the performance of our politicians of all shades but with only a few weeks to go and to have no clear plan is beyond belief. Plan A was all they had, and plans B,C & D are still in the melting pot!

History will damn the architects of Brexit.docx

Edited by The Original 59er

10 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I'm not generally a Guardian reader, I leave that to my leftist leaning friends who will occasionally send me the odd gem or two from the paper. So it's not that often that I find that their offerings ring my bell, but the attached certainly did!

I think most of us are totally pi**ed off with the performance of our politicians of all shades but with only a few weeks to go and to have no clear plan is beyond belief. Plan A was all they had, and plans B,C & D are still in the melting pot!

History will damn the architects of Brexit.docx

The architects of Brexit (20 odd tory crackpots) insist now that a big boy built it, then ran away.

And are now saying, (like the morning after the referendum when one of thise crackpots was pointing over his shoulder to the HoP) "they... (the EU) need to come up with an alternative plan!"