Brexit Negotiations

Bud the Baker

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:32 PM, Cornwall_Saint said:

The Greens have also been strong advocates of Remain, hence their improved performance in the EU elections. Whereas the Leave voters flooded to the Brexit Party and pretty much abandoned UKIP, the Remain vote was split between the Lib Dems and Greens in England. I myself opted for Greens over Lib Dems in the recent vote.

Interestingly if you consider Ukip/tories/Brexit as one pro brexit block, then this slumped from @50 %to @42 %  I did do the sums in a spreadsheet and had the exact figure, but don't know what I did with it. Equally arguements about low turn out apply both to the Leave block and the remain block.  While Labour are not a delared anti-brexit party, they have in fact been one of the main reasons that Brexit has been halted. I doubt that any serious brexiteer would vote labour and think that in the EU elections labour can quite safely be added to the anti-brexit block.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:05 AM, oaksoft said:

Yep and interestjngly, the split of the Leave support between Tories and Brexit is the only reason Labour held onto that seat.

With a 17% drop in their vote they are kidding themselves if they think that was something worth celebrating.

The problem for Lib Dem and the Greens was starting from such a low base. The Greens are not really challenging though.

Although I do actually support a lot of the aims of the Greens, there is a touch of extremism, smugness and a virtually religious zeal about them which I find seriously off-putting.

What makes you think all Brexit voters are ex tory and not ex labour. I'd guess the split is about 40 -60.

ETA  touch of extremism, smugness  about them which I find seriously off-putting.   Oh the irony

1 hour ago, insaintee said:

What makes you think all Brexit voters are ex tory and not ex labour. I'd guess the split is about 40 -60.

ETA  touch of extremism, smugness  about them which I find seriously off-putting.   Oh the irony

Not for the first time, I am unable to intepret your inane wittering.

Looks like Labour miscalculated regarding yesterdays motion to prevent a no-deal Brexit short of a winning Vote of No Confidence against the new Tory leader or some other parliamentary ruse we're now on the road to a no-deal Brexit on Halloween.

I can only hope the bulk of non-ERG Tory MPs were wanting to wait until after the leadership election before breaking ranks.

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Time to resurrect this thread.....can’t believe that the last posts were in June 2019.......

Interesting times ahead.

Save the Scottish fishing rights! 🎣 

The Scottish fishing issue, financially, is so minor that IF it's a real sticking point surely this could be overcome with a subsidy spread out over a period of years? 

There's much more at stake in the wider picture. 

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I've been quite impressed by Boris's resolve over the last few weeks to absolutely tank the remaining (sic) 99.9% of the economy over the fishing industry, as he so famously said "fuck business" however it looks like he's ready to come to a compromise...:rolleyes:

According to EU sources, under a proposal tabled on Monday afternoon by the UK’s chief negotiator, David Frost, the British demand for a 60% reduction in the catch by value in British waters has been reduced to 35%, far closer to the 25% reduction that Frost’s EU counterpart, Michel Barnier, had said he would be prepared to accept.

Split the difference, say 30% of "our fish" back, the ones we don't eat...:barf aye looking like Brexit was really worth it! :lol

Edited by Bud the Baker

Anyone doubt that Gibraltar will sever their remaining ties with the UK sometime in the next decade?

Another triumph for Boris, Michael & Nigel! :lol

Under the terms of an agreement between Spain, Britain and Gibraltar that is in its last stages of negotiation, British nationals traveling to Gibraltar from the United Kingdom would have to go through passport control, while Spaniards would be able to enter freely and Gibraltarians would have open access to Spain and the other countries that are part of the Schengen Area, where border controls have been abolished. Gibraltar would not have a land border for people going into its territory, but it would have reinforced airport border controls.

11 minutes ago, antrin said:

A brexit deal:

Kuensberg on Newsnight, “we are walking towards another milestone”.

Me, over my shoulder en route to bed, “we are walking off the end of the f**kin pier!”.   :angry:

Walking of the end of the fuckin pier and falling into a French fishing boat - sacre bleu!

Barnier said the EU had offered a six-year transition period for phasing in a 25% reduction in the catch by value taken by European fleet in British waters. Downing Street had tabled a counter-proposal of a three-year transition period with a 60% reduction.

The compromise is likely to involve a transition period of five and a half years to phase in the changes, sources said, with the UK accepting a 25% repatriation of quotas.

So we're still giving away 75% of the fish we don't like :wacko: but Boris has reduced the transition period by 6 months - top negotiating! 

Having said that I might have it all wrong cos The Sun says

THE SUN SAYS 

Boris played a blinder to secure imminent Brexit trade deal just when the economy needed it

and 

With Covid and Brexit, Boris has had a year from hell, under far greater pressure than any Prime Minister since Winston Churchill. But it looks as if he has defied his critics again.

What else can you say but Hail Boris, King of the World! :king

So, it's finally over, we're "out" and, while it wasn't my choice, it's the choice of the majority so let's get on with it.

I'm sure business's that deal in shipping stuff to Europe will be relieved.

I'm also sure the usual suspects will scrape around for some negatives when it won't have any effect on them, just for the sake of it. 

58 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

So, it's finally over, we're "out" and, while it wasn't my choice, it's the choice of the majority so let's get on with it.

I'm sure business's that deal in shipping stuff to Europe will be relieved.

I'm also sure the usual suspects will scrape around for some negatives when it won't have any effect on them, just for the sake of it. 

I was a remainer myself, both in terms of Brexit and Scexit.

At the end of the day though, Brexit is just a rounding error compared to the self inflicted destruction we’ve unnecessarily inflicted on our own economies. 

Boris - Got Brexit Done

Deal agreed

Labour and the rest can stfu

Need a deal - got one

Need rid of backstop - done

Waiting for the finer details obviously and the usual suspects the ‘ah but’ brigade....

Sturgeon was asked : Do you think we should stay part of EU ?

Yes she replied

She was then asked , but You want Scotland to split from the rest of the UK ?

Ah but she replied

Deal done

Lets got on with dealing with Covid now

EU regulations soon to be a thing of the past