Brexit Negotiations

Bud the Baker

19 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I'm surprised a linguist like yourself didn't ....

19 hours ago, antrin said:

As a 'linguist' I recognised....

As you doubtless noticed, my great age and maturity held me in check briefly, stopped me from replying in a manner that would give Oxter the Dry Boakes.

I made no mention of my dexterity at being a Cunning Linguist.

I think I got away with it.  :P

Edited by antrin

1 minute ago, smcc said:

If you can't recognise a typo, then poor you. To anyone with an ounce of perspicacity it would have been obvious that the final "d" should be an "r".😈

I take it Santa didn't bring you what you asked for yesterday.

Begone foul beast and take your grumpiness with you.

13 minutes ago, smcc said:

If you can't recognise a typo, then poor you. To anyone with an ounce of perspicacity it would have been obvious that the final "d" should be an "r".😈

Far be it from me to become involved in a sterile, useless debate about the accuracy or correct deployment of words, of their spelling etc...

but... :)

... I believe that a quality such as “perspicacity” simply cannot be measured using Imperial units such as an ounce.

(additionally, in the case of oaksoft/perspicacity you might, more accurately, be better using micro grams)

11 hours ago, antrin said:

Far be it from me to become involved in a sterile, useless debate about the accuracy or correct deployment of words, of their spelling etc...

... I believe that a quality such as “perspicacity” simply cannot be measured using Imperial units such as an ounce.

(additionally, in the case of oaksoft/perspicacity you might, more accurately, be better using micro grams)

So a measurable amount then. I'll take that as a compliment, back-handed though it might be.

Edited by oaksoft

1 minute ago, antrin said:

Good article by Will Hutton

I was one of the millions opposed to Brexit. I’ve seen nothing here to change my mind | Brexit | The Guardian

It echoes (with benefit of now knowing what crap "deal" has been agreed) the opening three - at least - comments on this thread.

I read its ultimate message as positive. :)

One of two things will happen. Brexit will either be a huge success, in which case that's a good thing. Or it will crash and burn in which case we'll be back in the EU within a decade.

The problem isn't Brexit itself. The problem is the wafer-thin victory in the referendum.

That is the problem Sturgeon has to address when Indyref2 happens otherwise we'll see constant moves to re-attach us to the UK.

Referendums that important should require a mandatory 60% of all votes cast in favour of change for that to happen.

On 12/26/2020 at 2:52 PM, antrin said:

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt!

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Not even out of the EU yet and we're leading the way in exporting to the rest of the world.

Well done Boris.:whistle

Canada, Sweden and Spain become latest countries to report new coronavirus variant | The Independent

A bit rich putting the blame on Johnson for this?

Isn't it down to other countries to control their borders? 

With that list of countries I'm far from convinced this has all come from the UK. 

PS Just seen it's The Independent. :rolleyes:

Edited by faraway saint

3 hours ago, Scott-Leeds said:

SNP being the disgraceful party they are, quite literally acting like complete arses in HOC currently over Brexit.

It’s done, accept it ffs !

There's a difference between acceptance and acquiescence. If they'd voted Yes they'd have been accused of insincerity like Keir Starmer was by Michael Gove in his closing speech...

Michael Gove, the Cabinet Office minister, is speaking now.

He says Sir Keir Starmer’s speech was eloquent, but not sincere. It was like his attitude to Jeremy Corbyn, he says.

He says Starmer tried to keep the UK tied to EU structures. But now he is saying that he will not even mention Europe in Labour leaflets at the next election.

This is similar to the way Starmer used to support Corbyn, but now has distanced himself from him, he says.

That'll be the Tories line of attack on Starmer until the next GE - "Starmer's a remainer, always was, always will be" and will take us back into the EU by the back door if you vote Labour. Better sticking to your principles like the SNP did and either abstain or vote against!

28 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

8 days into Brexit and Boris's tariff free deal is falling apart, I'm going to start practicing with my championship bow&arrow again - no zombie/gammonista is gonna be stealing my stockpile of baked beans & toilet roll!  🏹🧟🧠

Between this and covid, you are going to end up giving yourself an ulcer. :blink:

Obsessing over all this stuff is not conducive to a content life.

13 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Have you ever written in to the BBC to complain about repeats on TV?

Have you ever written to the local paper to complain about  youngsters these days"?

Yer talkin to absolutely the wrong guy, I like repeats, there is nothing more conducive to inner harmony than watching a program, with absolutely no surprises, as George Harrison so memorably sang in My Sweet Lord

My sweet Lord (Hallelujah)
My sweet Lord (Hare Krishna)
My sweet Lord (Hare Krishna)
My, my Lord (Krishna Krishna)
My, my my Lord (Hare Hare)
My sweet Lord (Guru Brahma)
My sweet Lord (Guru Vishnu)
My sweet Lord (Guru Devo)
My sweet Lord (Maheśvaraḥ
My sweet Lord (Guru Sākṣāt)
My sweet Lord (Para Brahma)
My, my Lord (Tasmai Srī)
My, my, my Lord (Guru Namah)
My sweet Lord (Hare Rama)

I like to sing it 16 times and then sometimes 16 times more...

Edited by Bud the Baker

8 days into Brexit and Boris's tariff free deal is falling apart, I'm going to start practicing with my championship bow&arrow again - no zombie/gammonista is gonna be stealing my stockpile of baked beans & toilet roll!  [emoji1018][emoji3442][emoji3447]
Between this and covid, you are going to end up giving yourself an ulcer. :blink:
Obsessing over all this stuff is not conducive to a content life.
How could you ever take that as ulcer inducing, oaky? Didn't the "bow and arrow" part give you a clue?

[emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]