Brexit Negotiations

Bud the Baker

The only chilling fact is that Britain voted for Brexit.

Period.

End of.

No need for conspiracy theory pish, any chilling prophecies or nonsense about minority views gaining power.

And certainly no need to be reading whole novels full of nonsense.

Those disagreeing with Brexit need to be focussing on how to reverse it via another referendum probably 10 to 15 years down the line and they won't do that with distracting pish or continued brainless demonisation of Brexit voters (many of whom need to be convinced to vote to re-join).

Beggars belief that all this needs said really. I thought Remainer voters were supposed to be the educated ones in all of this.

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The only chilling fact is that Britain voted for Brexit.

Period.

End of.

No need for conspiracy theory pish, any chilling prophecies or nonsense about minority views gaining power.

And certainly no need to be reading whole novels full of nonsense.

Those disagreeing with Brexit need to be focussing on how to reverse it via another referendum probably 10 to 15 years down the line and they won't do that with distracting pish or continued brainless demonisation of Brexit voters (many of whom need to be convinced to vote to re-join).

Beggars belief that all this needs said really. I thought Remainer voters were supposed to be the educated ones in all of this.

When the referendum for brexit happened I really think the government then fully expected there to be a remain majority thus avoiding this chaos.

Although we had a split vote house being mrs cs being a leaver after believing the crap over 350 million for nhs,etc and me being a remainer for many other work related reasons, etc. I think now we just got to put up with it, if we went back too early then I believe the 350 million a week to EU would jump to I'd say 500 million a week as they have made it difficult to leave, they would be just as bad if we reversed fairly quickly.

I thought this wee paragraph pretty much sums up where Scotland is right now

"The authors’ hatred of welfare could not be clearer. And how is this for a radical right-wing view of public services, in which the idea of co-operative pooling of resources for common goods like roads and hospitals is clearly anathema? ‘If you went into a store to buy furniture, and the salespeople took your money but then proceeded to ignore your requests and consult others about how to spend your money, you would quite rightly be upset. You would not think it normal or justifiable if the employees of the store argued that you really did not deserve the furniture, and that it should be shipped instead to someone whom they found more worthy. The fact that something very like this happens in dealings with government shows how little control the “customers” actually have.’"

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Agree with virtually all of the article but has something happened to Alastair Campbell, I never expected to read that sort of article from a New Labour stalwart - or have I misread him all along.

54 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Agree with virtually all of the article but has something happened to Alastair Campbell, I never expected to read that sort of article from a New Labour stalwart - or have I misread him all along.

Anyone who focusses on Brexit after reading that article, either hasn't read it properly or has an understanding of politics akin to that of a five year old.

Edited by FTOF

The drive to reduce workers rights begins...

The 48-hour week could be scrapped by the UK government under reported plans to rip up key working protections following Brexit.

The weekly cap on working hours is set to be ditched along with other protections enshrined in EU law as part of an overhaul of labour rules, according to the Financial Times.

No 10 is said to have given the go-ahead for the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (Beis) to draw up a package of deregulatory measures.

The 48-hour working week — known as the EU working time directive — was designed by the European Commission to protect workers rights by putting a limit on the amount of hours that can be worked and mandating how long breaks can be.

The policy is thought to be the main target for UK regulatory divergence from the EU by No 10. But any changes to labour market conditions could incur the wrath of Brussels who may seek redress through the post-Brexit trade deal.

Labour have pledged to fight any changes "tooth and nail" however it not yet known what the real Leader of the Opposition Marcus Rashford thinks about the issue.

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

The drive to reduce workers rights begins...

Labour have pledged to fight any changes "tooth and nail" however it not yet known what the real Leader of the Opposition Marcus Rashford thinks about the issue.

48 hour working week :lol:.....................a paper exercise that's largely ignored in the real world.

Nothing to see here. :byebye

If they weren't such a bunch of tossers whose collective mindset remains in the 17th Century I might have some sympathy for them...:lol

Sammy Wilson
image captionSammy Wilson is now shouting about empty supermarket shelves

As back bench interventions go, it was one to remember.

Sammy Wilson shouting "go to the chippy" as the SNP's Westminster leader Ian Blackford warned about empty supermarket shelves with the threat of a no-deal Brexit

Two years on, and the same DUP MP is now the one shouting about empty supermarket shelves and pleading for government intervention.

How times have changed.

On 1/15/2021 at 6:49 AM, Bud the Baker said:

Wait till you're unemployed, broke, facing sanctions from the DWP and have to take a job with poor T&Cs.

You take the job and find a new job whilst earning a wage and you stop f**king whining like a teenager.

It's called manning up.

Perhaps you've not heard of it?

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

If they weren't such a bunch of tossers whose collective mindset remains in the 17th Century I might have some sympathy for them...:lol

Sammy Wilson
image captionSammy Wilson is now shouting about empty supermarket shelves

As back bench interventions go, it was one to remember.

Sammy Wilson shouting "go to the chippy" as the SNP's Westminster leader Ian Blackford warned about empty supermarket shelves with the threat of a no-deal Brexit

Two years on, and the same DUP MP is now the one shouting about empty supermarket shelves and pleading for government intervention.

How times have changed.

Sympathy for who?

Isn't Wilson based in London?

It's the Northern Ireland people who would be suffering, not the political leaders.

Nationalist, Unionist and neutral alike.

Many of them on the breadline you keep wittering on about.

But you're OK with people starving as long as you get to make a political point.

This is an example of the left wing fakery I am accusing you of.

@oaksoft You're right to an extent on this one there is a fair degree of schadenfreude but as the article states the bile originated from Sammy Johnson so I can live with that. It doesn't change the facts that the DUP took £1Billion to support Brexit & the Tories under Theresa May before getting shafted by Boris "there'll be no red tape in NI trade post Brexit" Johnson, I don't suppose anyone is starving yet but don't let that stop you exaggerating events to get your right wing fakery across - from this and past posts it's clear you've no sympathy about what might happen to the people of NI. :rolleyes:

You're wrong on planned attack on workers rights, this is a government where 2 out of the senior 4 ministers published a pamphlet Britannia Unchained attacking workers right before they were in office. Now they are in charge they're putting these ideas into practice - as a wealthy retiree it won't affect you but I can see where you're coming from. :spud5:rolleyes:

Delving back into the dim & distant past that was 2018 and tying the two topics (NI & Workers Rights) together I seem to remember Priti Patel saying we should "starve the Irish" them in the South that is to make them more amenable to our Brexit demands, no doubt she'll lose no sleep if the same happens to the ordinary workers in the UK that she despises. 

Edited by Bud the Baker

20 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

@oaksoft You're right to an extent on this one there is a fair degree of schadenfreude on this one but as the article states the bile originated from Sammy Johnson so I can live with that.

You're wrong on planned attack on workers rights, this is a government where 2 out of the senior 4 ministers published a pamphlet Britannia Unchained attacking workers right before they were in office. Now they are in charge they're putting these ideas into practice - as a wealthy retiree it won't affect you but I can see where you're coming from. :spud5:rolleyes:

That first paragraph is exactly what I was saying. You're happy for the Northern Irish to suffer as long as you get to make a political point. As for my views on the NI people? I don't want to see people genuinely suffering but I really don't care much about anyone outside my family. I'm not claiming to be a hardcore lefty though.

Second paragraph, I am a wealthy retiree precisely because when those shitty 48+ hour jobs were the only thing I could get, I took them and followed the exact advice I've just given to you. I was working 60-72 hours a week (with no minimum wage either by the way). It took me a year to get out but once I did, I didn't look back. At no point did I ever stop studying and re-training myself to get better jobs , promotions and pay rises. Just like millions of other men who cared about bettering themselves. My story is neither unique nor special. Those who whined got left behind.

Being able to retire so young was a different story which required a lot of luck but there was also a heap of life choices which stopped me spending all my money on material things which weren't necessary or wanted. Years of materialistic sacrifices mean I can now walk away from paid work but not everyone wants to keep the same wallpaper for 25 years so they make other sacrifices like working for more years.

Edited by oaksoft

44 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That first paragraph is exactly what I was saying. You're happy for the Northern Irish to suffer as long as you get to make a political point. As for my views on the NI people? I don't want to see people genuinely suffering but I really don't care much about anyone outside my family. I'm not claiming to be a hardcore lefty though.

Second paragraph, I am a wealthy retiree precisely because when those shitty 48+ hour jobs were the only thing I could get, I took them and followed the exact advice I've just given to you. I was working 60-72 hours a week (with no minimum wage either by the way). It took me a year to get out but once I did, I didn't look back. At no point did I ever stop studying and re-training myself to get better jobs , promotions and pay rises. Just like millions of other men who cared about bettering themselves. My story is neither unique nor special. Those who whined got left behind.

As I say you have no real concern over either issue other than to prove how clever you are so rave away.....

I believe this is one one those instances where the bard got it correct...

Spoken by Lear, King Lear, Act 3, Scene 2

Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! rage! blow!
You cataracts and hurricanoes, spout
Till you have drench’d our steeples, drown’d the cocks!
You sulph’rous and thought-executing fires,
Vaunt-couriers to oak-cleaving thunderbolts,
Singe my white head! And thou, all-shaking thunder,
Strike flat the thick rotundity o’ th’ world,
Crack Nature’s moulds, all germains spill at once,
That makes ingrateful man!
Rumble thy bellyful! Spit, fire! spout, rain!
Nor rain, wind, thunder, fire are my daughters.
I tax not you, you elements, with unkindness.
I never gave you kingdom, call’d you children,
You owe me no subscription. Then let fall
Your horrible pleasure. Here I stand your slave,
A poor, infirm, weak, and despis’d old man.
But yet I call you servile ministers,
That will with two pernicious daughters join
Your high-engender’d battles ‘gainst a head
So old and white as this! O! O! ’tis foul!

Edited by Bud the Baker

23 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

As I say you have no real concern over either issue so rave away other than to prove how clever you are so rave away.....

Pointing out that your left wing credentials are as fake as f**k is not "raving".

Never have been interested in Shakespeare. Sorry.

Edited by oaksoft

Is it too much to say well done to a fellow buddie who has retired by selling his business and who looks forward to a future he deserves.

So much jealousy and hatred coming from a few.

Congratulations Oaky.

On 1/16/2021 at 2:55 PM, oaksoft said:

You take the job and find a new job whilst earning a wage and you stop f**king whining like a teenager.

It's called manning up.

Perhaps you've not heard of it?

WAFD! And just to be clear. I'm referring to you.

Edited by stlucifer

• 4 weeks later...

@antrin This ones for you, 6 weeks into Brexit and London is no longer top-of-the table....

Amsterdam has overtaken London as Europe’s top share trading hub with a fourfold increase in business in January, the Financial Times reported on Thursday. The paper says an average of €9.2bn in shares a day were traded on the Amsterdam Amsterdam Euronext, CBOE Europe and Turquoise exchanges in January, and that is four times the December 2020 total, the FT said. In London, by contrast, volumes fell to €8.6bn. The paper says the shift is due to a ban on EU-based financial institutions trading in London because the EU has not yet recognised UK exchanges as having the same supervisory status as European venues.

We discussed "The City's" status post-Brexit just before Christmas, I may be wrong but I doubt the EU will be in a rush to introduce equivalence...

Er... you discussed it.  I  wisnae interested enough to respond.  :)

UK Gov isn't interested in equivalence.  It isn't very bright.  Let them eat fish!

The City (according to other FT articles) is more focussed on being free to develop FinTech offerings and that market, which they believe will be much more (remuneratively) of expanding interest in future. 

However, parts of the City would certainly like to have equivalence and access to as much money as possible, wherever it can.

I'm not  surprised that EU financial centres would flourish more, now that the City has less access.  I am surprised that Amsterdam has prevailed above the others, so soon!

@antrin Not interested enough to respond!

antrin

• Panel pundit - Radio 4
  •  
  • antrin
  • Saints
  • 5,747 posts
  •  
  On 12/24/2020 at 4:59 PM, Bud the Baker said:

I see that there is no agreement on Services and that the City is getting a bit jittery with the other European financial hubs circling like vultures. Get Independence and maybe Embra can steal some of the keenwa from your plates too! :)

Don't think The City (And hedge-fund type shysters like Mogg) will mind the new lack of oversight from EU.  There is an 'equivalence' set up - IE Each looking to see if the others is stricter than it is. 

A race to the bottom and I'd back the Londoners to win that.  For the good of Britain, you understand?

Edited by Bud the Baker