Sign in to follow this  
Bud the Baker

Brexit Negotiations

Um, well, these aren't going too well for us with the government now prepared to pay more cash to the EU in order to get onto the next stage of negotiations. It's clear who has the upper hand in these negotiations, presently and, no doubt, in the remaining (sic) stages, :toilet 

I don't remember the "divorce bill" being an issue during the referendum campaign which is a further damnation of the half-hearted nature of the Remain campaign.

2 hours ago, rabuddies said:

No, it's just the way the hard right are stirring up trouble. The amount is exactly what the UK committed to pay towards ongoing budgeted projects a couple of years ago.

I don't think it's quite as simple as that, here's what Danish Finance Minister Kid Jensen said last month

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/08/denmark-dismisses-eu-wrangling-brexit-divorce-bill-game

Kristian Jensen told the Guardian he believed both sides should be ready to move the talks on following the concessions made in Theresa May’s speech in Florence last month.

Jensen said: “In any political negotiations, there is not enough time, not enough money, not enough this, not enough that. This is part of the game. Because what we are dealing with here is not rocket science. We are not speaking about putting a man on Mars or solving the problem of CO2 emissions.

“We are now on the same page … In my view it is rather important we get into a more close and more speedy process on concluding some of the issues.”

and

Yet, while careful not to criticise Barnier, whose negotiating mandate was set in April by the 27 other EU member states, Jensen told the Guardian that both parties in the negotiation needed to up the pace of their talks.

and finally :lol:

“This will never be a 100% win for one side or the other side. This will be a political compromise.”

What we're talking about is discussions about an eventual settlement which is up for negotiation not a figure based on previously defined criteria. I agree with you that the current mess is part of May's need to keep the xenophobes and "free marketeers" from splitting the Tory party and I'm not sure that there is a better alternative than accepting what the remaining EU states will offer I'm just pointing out the weakness of the UK's position. The final sentence from Kid Jensen seems particularly laughable.

Um, perhaps we should wait until the details are released but it seems that NI will remain in the Single Market.

The BBC's political editor said Mr Lamberts said the UK was prepared to accept that Northern Ireland may remain in the EU's customs union and single market in all but name. But, she stressed, the BBC has not yet seen the draft document nor has it yet been signed off.

I'd imagine the DUP will be upset.

From a Scottish Angle NS has already tweeted the following

If one part of UK can retain regulatory alignment with EU and effectively stay in the single market (which is the right solution for Northern Ireland) there is surely no good practical reason why others can’t.

Funnily enough I saw an item on BBC's Breakfast Program last week about a new business park somewhere in NI that was attracting attention from companies who reckoned that they could benefit from being within the Single Market on one hand while still remaining the UK.

How it'll all work is anyone's guess.

Edited by Bud the Baker

I also hear Mr Farage is going to take his EU MP Pension of 73 k a year,  lets be honest anyone, with possible exception of Fisherman, Farmers and Fannies should have voted to stay..............

This is going to get very messy and very costly, and our kids will carry this bill for decades, even though its old trouts that in the main got us out..................

13 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I also hear Mr Farage , if s going to take his EU MP Pension of 73 k a year,  lets be honest anyone, with possible exception of Fisherman, Farmers and Fannies should have voted to stay..............

This is going to get very messy and very costly, and our kids will carry this bill for decades, even though its old trouts that in the main got us out..................

Probably the first time I've ever agreed with Nigel Farage, if he's entitled to it then let him have it after all he's "worked" for it.

I consider the outrage from the left/Remain/establishment on this point as phoney although I'm sure many of those that voted leave will see it as a letdown.

Sadiq Khan wants a special deal for London if NI gets one! :lol

Nicola + Sadiq :wub:

Welsh First Minister joins the debate

We cannot allow different parts of the UK to be more favourably treated than others. If one part of the UK is granted continued participation in the Single Market & Customs Union, then we fully expect to be made the same offer.

Your turn Richard Leonard..........

Ooops latest news - no deal today!

Edited by Bud the Baker

I also hear Mr Farage is going to take his EU MP Pension of 73 k a year,  lets be honest anyone, with possible exception of Fisherman, Farmers and Fannies should have voted to stay..............

Fishermen voted leave but will find fishing rights traded back to EU as part of the negotiations.
Farmers who knew they would lose their subsidies and access to European migrant labour and still voted to leave were turkeys voting for Christmas.

Fascinating afternoon - virtually all political decisions are leaked in advance these days so there are few surprises.

Admittedly the leaks were coming from Brussels & Dublin (according to the BBC) but how incompetent is TM in not getting Arlene Fraser & the DUP onside?

I was listening to the BBC correspondent saying he'd gone from virtually certain a deal would be announced in the morning to being 50/50 only to have to finish the sentence with "there'll be no deal today"! :wacko:

18 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Fishermen voted leave but will find fishing rights traded back to EU as part of the negotiations.
Farmers who knew they would lose their subsidies and access to European migrant labour and still voted to leave were turkeys voting for Christmas.

Yup Thickasf"ck#

So basically 17 m voted with their own agendas, I don't blame Boris- so he lied- Big Deal- he is a politian

Mrs May is understood to have broken off from talks with European Commission President Jean Claude Junker to speak to Arlene Foster, after the DUP leader had held a press conference saying her party "will not accept any form of regulatory divergence" that separates Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK.

"During the call it was made plain to the PM that the DUP, whose support is vital to the government being able to pass their Brexit legislation, had significant concerns about the deal being discussed that gave concessions to the Dublin government," the BBC's political editor said.

"I understand Foster told Theresa May that she would not be able to support such a deal. It's been suggested too that there are 20 or so Conservative MPs who had serious misgivings about the compromises that were understood to be on the table."

The UK was reportedly prepared to accept that Northern Ireland may remain in the EU's customs union and single market in all but name.

Like I said TM's incompetence in not informing the DUP about what she was about to agree is staggering!

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Like I said TM's incompetence in not informing the DUP about what she was about to agree is staggering!

It seems that her bribe after the general election was not big enough! :D Theresa May's real incompetence was holding an unnecessary election.

Edited by smcc

4 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

It was never going to be easy, unfortunately Boris and co's lying machine was better than the other side's so now we're stuck with the farcical outcome, oh joy!!

Does anyone know what the roll out plan is for the £365 million per week.? Are we going to see one hospital a week get the money or is it being divided up equally each week until each hospital has enough money .

also , what happens when all the hospitals have their money and there are no waiting lists ? Do we do schools next ? Or social care for the elderly or.....

.. was it just a wee porkie ? 

<_<

I reckon the Euromob need to make it difficult to leave . Make it easy and all the other nations will bolt , leaving Germany and France in a kinda cuddly Union. .B)

I reckon that the UK gov are trying everything under the sun to stop Brexit happening. No one, not even the current government can be THIS incompetent.

15 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Does anyone know what the roll out plan is for the £365 million per week.? Are we going to see one hospital a week get the money or is it being divided up equally each week until each hospital has enough money .

also , what happens when all the hospitals have their money and there are no waiting lists ? Do we do schools next ? Or social care for the elderly or.....

.. was it just a wee porkie ? 

<_<

To be fair....... every pre vote banter  is a load of rubbish..................

Promises on both sides of GE, Brexit and Indy ........................ Trouble is people buy it, decisions have always been based on lies

As Churchill said - Lies damn lies and statitistics ......................... and he was a pretty good liar to

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Trouble is people buy it, decisions have always been based on lies

Actually I think you'll find that people make almost all of their political decisions without listening to politicians at all.

Which is exactly how it should be. They are all lying, thieving bastards so it doesn't matter to an extent which of them gets in.

Someone has to run the country though and I suspect that most people simply vote for the party which seems most aligned with their own beliefs.

For example if you broadly favour personal responsibility and meritocracy with minimal government interference in your day to day life, you'll probably be inclined to vote Tory. If you believe in independence you'll probably be more likely to vote SNP and if you believe the state should be wiping the collective arses of the population before gently breastfeeding them into a long and peaceful sleep each night then you'll vote Labour. I think most people quite understandably and rightly have far too much going on in their lives to seriously give any more than a partial f**k about the inane witterings of people like Theresa May, Jeremy Corbyn and Nicola Sturgeon.

Edited by oaksoft

Cant disagree with any of the above , I was SNP but now find them pathetic and weak, missing every target they set themselves and then blaming everyone else   also ................ Torys are abmismal creatures, Labour cant agree on the colour of sh"te, Libs are irrelevent , and Greens are one of your five a day........

So Brexit, to stay with a bunch of foreign lying b8stards , or stay  with a country totally divided, in just about everything

Where is "None of the Above" on an election slip when u need one :huh: