Sign in to follow this  
Bud the Baker

Brexit Negotiations

13 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I met Neil Warnock a few years ago during a weekend break at Inverary, he was very nice .  He had a good laugh when I asked him if he was supporting Man U later that day at the champions league final and declined to comment.

Rumours are going around that campaign managers are now being recruited / made ready by at least one major party.  Wonder why? 
There's been leafleting in safe tory seats in England for at least a month. Seems they are expecting an election.

14 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:
Rumours are going around that campaign managers are now being recruited / made ready by at least one major party.  Wonder why? 

There's been leafleting in safe tory seats in England for at least a month. Seems they are expecting an election.

I didn't ask when I heard the comment over lunch. Thought it prudent not to. 

Looks like you may well be right. 

20 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

FFS Ricky, what are you wittering on about? :lol:

You weren't lunching with the Queen were you?

Read the comments made earlier.  There are signs that the Tory party is moving to Campaign footing ahead of Tuesday's vote. 

But.. No.. I won't reveal my sources. 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Read the comments made earlier.  There are signs that the Tory party is moving to Campaign footing ahead of Tuesday's vote. 

I didn't ask you to "reveal your sources".

So big week???

Doubt it, just another defeat for the Gov in the Commons, more waffle from Corbyn , more crying from the SNPs and more distraction from the real issues within the UK.... 

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:51 PM, St.Ricky said:

I didn't ask when I heard the comment over lunch.

Let me guess,

if lunch was pork, I'd suggest apple ?,

if it was fish, maybe tartare ?,

lamb, maybe mint ?,

and sausages probably HP.

4 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

634 politicians trying to defy the will of over 17 million people

Not sure what’s next, but hoping Brexit goes ahead.

Does this just not prove that most politicians are only there to feather their own nests, placed there supposedly to carry out the public's wishes ........ unless of course it conflicts with their own or their party's views.  May is trying to persuade the public that her fudge; which is NOT what the public voted for is 'good for the Country' I really hate to say it but Farrage seems almost sensible.

So, we move onto next Monday.

It could have been 3 days time but apparently Corbyn thinks it's better that we waste a day or so having a No Confidence vote he surely knows he cannot possibly win.

What May SHOULD do is step down immediately and call a general election but I think she'll try to delay Brexit and go back to Brussels for a better deal.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, jaybee said:

Does this just not prove that most politicians are only there to feather their own nests, placed there supposedly to carry out the public's wishes ........ unless of course it conflicts with their own or their party's views.  May is trying to persuade the public that her fudge; which is NOT what the public voted for is 'good for the Country' I really hate to say it but Farrage seems almost sensible.

Only my opinion but little of the machinations have much to do with Brexit directly. They are a means or excuse to try to advance party advantage or in the case of the Conservative Party..looking for someone to blame outside that party and so prevent a split into two parties, one of which would be further to the right. Of course. .many will take a different view. 

25 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

What May SHOULD do is step down immediately and call a general election but I think she'll try to delay Brexit and go back to Brussels for a better deal.

F*ck all chance !!

The rest of the EU are desperate for the UK to remain as part of the EU. There's absolutely no incentive for them to offer the UK a better deal so Mrs May would be wasting her time (yet again) trying to re-negotiate with them.

Devil's advocate warning !!!

As I see it the basic issue is that the vote to Brexit took place 30 months ago. That was the "will of the people" back then but would a second referendum (if it was held this week) produce the same result now that the true financial cost of leaving is clearer ?

As things stand, I reckon the UK is f*cked if we leave with a "deal" or otherwise we are f*cked if we leave without one. But, hey ho, we must leave under any circumstances as that was the result of the referendum.

Private Frazer was right after all.

The 634 aren't trying to defy the will of 17 million. Most have just decided that the deal the PM has brought to parliament isn't acceptable.
Many of these politicians who voted against would be happy with a no deal.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

So, we move onto next Monday.

It could have been 3 days time but apparently Corbyn thinks it's better that we waste a day or so having a No Confidence vote he surely knows he cannot possibly win.

I think Friday is considered as a constituency day and not normally regarded as a working day in Parliament so I don't think the VoNC affects the timetable.

It's obvious May expects to win the VoNC but by my calculations it'll only take 3 Conservative  MP's to vote against the Govt. I know most of tonight's rebel Tories will return to the fold for this vote but I don't think May would have much leverage on say 78-y-o Ken Clarke (ex-Chancellor) if he felt like he wanted to give her the fingers and there may (sic) be a few others. of a similar vintage who can afford to ignore the Whip.

Moving back to a point made earlier in the thread, career politicians who have gone from studying politics at Uni to backroom jobs with a political party or associated Think Tank to an MPs job are unlikely to ignore the Whip!  B)

54 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
3 hours ago, whydowebother said:

The 634 aren't trying to defy the will of 17 million. Most have just decided that the deal the PM has brought to parliament isn't acceptable.
Many of these politicians who voted against would be happy with a no deal.

You may well have a point there ,Mays deal does not really remove us from Europe as 'leave' would imply and all this crap about the public didn't; know what they were voting for and 'we clever Politicians' are saving the Country's collective arse, is cobblers they are Not following the will of the people and hopefully that will eventually come back and bite them in the bum.  Big time.