Brexit Negotiations

Bud the Baker

14 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

The average Scot , voted in 2014 to continue governance from London.  It's distance to Berlin Brussels is irrelevant given that it is a foreign country with a different language , a different culture and a different legal system. We have only been governed by London since 1707 (not always). .

If you honestly think that the UKs loss of sovereignty has been minimal , then you are in some sort of misty eyed denial as l don't consider you a complete mug. Our sovereignty which was hard fought for twice in the last century , has been signed away by successive PM's , begining with the paedophile Ed Heath in 1968 , over 5 successive treaties , each one a further power grab by Europe , a Europe that has been trying to dominate Britian for a very long time .  If you still think there is no loss of sovereignty , just have a wee look at the front page of your passport and see what the first words are. .

Our MP's are being undemocratic along with the PM by trying to reverse the result of a referendum , we need a Party that is actually looking serve the will of the UK electorate .

Labour are clearly fcuked with rat Straw now saying that Corbyn could be a threat to UK national security ! May is being duplicite. .

How does GB handle the Great Escape ? We don't pay Europe the £39 billion but instead invest it in the entrepreneurial businesses of the country and do away with the import tax that Europe makes us impose thus raising the standards of living of the people.

Honda , lol. Honda have clearly stated that the UK leaving Europe has nothing to do with their leaving the UK ( check it out , they are also pulling out of Turkey also which is in the Customs Union). Honda now want to build electric cars , after deisel cars got such a bad name despite Tonly Liar telling us they were great , and they can do that in Japan.

The good news is that the Office of National Stats has released figures for Oct-Dec 2018 - there are 36.6 million people employed in the country , 100,000's of jobs created last year . Unempoloyment the lowest since 1975 and weekly earnings up by 3.4% , so despite the meltdown in Westminster , things are looking a bit more positive. .

The Heath thing?  You can back that up?  I only ask because noone else has been able to.

Westminster is in meltdown

Said it before, time for the 3rd largest party to put the knife in. Leave the building, return to Scotland and if required vote by proxy.

Let the EU see the split get wider, kill Brexit and hopefully finally kill off the right wing Tories pulling May's strings and that baffon Corbyn also being left high and dry...

This has been a great week for Scotland, its an open goal FFS

21 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Westminster is in meltdown

Said it before, time for the 3rd largest party to put the knife in. Leave the building, return to Scotland and if required vote by proxy.

Let the EU see the split get wider, kill Brexit and hopefully finally kill off the right wing Tories pulling May's strings and that baffon Corbyn also being left high and dry...

This has been a great week for Scotland, its an open goal FFS

I take it you do not believe in Democracy then?  Or perhaps only if it meets YOUR requirements.  So the Brexit people won the vote to leave , but clearly you do not agree,so sod democracy lets just make things worse and we might get our own way.  No wonder some English think we Scots are arseholes, because some of us are.

@saintnextlifetime Re: Honda - I don't think anyone is suggesting Brexit is the only reason for the Swindon factory closing, the trade deal between Japan & the EU that you didn't give "a monkey's fuck" about last month is probably more relevant but no matter what the company said on Tuesday (which contradicted what they'd been saying over the last few months) denying it completely is fanciful.

By my reckoning that's the Nuclear Power Plant in Anglesey & the new production line @ Nissan Sunderland cancelled and the Honda Swindon closure all announced in barely a month, but hey, ho, that Iceberg is sure to get the message & move out of the way soon!

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

No.
There is a drop in unemployment and a rise in those classed as being in employment at the same time as the parameters of how employed and unemployed are defined.
Your statement regarding vanishing small number is made up with absolutely no evidence to back it up. I expected better from a guy who claims to be an academic, a scientist and intellectually superior to the rest of us emoji3.png

There's a surprise. You criticise me for not quantifying and then do precisely the same thing yourself.

You are nothing if not predictable.

12 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Yeah, you only have to work one hour in a two week period to be classed as employed.
Its no surprise the employment figures look so healthy.

Indeed, the economic certainties of the 20th century like the Phillips Curve (the relationship between inflation and unemployment) are now outmoded. Our local chip shop now uses copies of Milton Friedman's works to wrap their product - I couldn't help laughing reading some of it on Tuesday night! 

Edited by Bud the Baker

Guest TPAFKATS
Indeed, the economic certainties of the 20th century like the Phillips Curve (the relationship between inflation and unemployment) are now outmoded. Our local chip shop now uses copies of Milton Friedman's works to wrap their product - I couldn't help laughing reading some of it on Tuesday night! 
Chippy on a Tuesday? Has brexit started early in your hoose?

Guest TPAFKATS
There's a surprise. You criticise me for not quantifying and then do precisely the same thing yourself.
You are nothing if not predictable.
I stated a link between the two things. It's a link that has been there for about 40 years since thatchers government took folk off the unemoyment register and stuck them on long term disability.
This approach has been continued and tweaked by each successive government since then. I'm sure UK isn't alone and other states also do the same to varying degrees using various factors.

3 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
48 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Chippy on a Tuesday? Has brexit started early in your hoose?

Didn't want to break into my supply of tinned foods.

My son & partner are both keen archers and have their own bow&arrows so hopefully we are in a semi-decent position to defend our precious food supplies when the brown stuff (sic) hits the fan! 

Guest TPAFKATS
Didn't want to break into my supply of tinned foods.
My son & partner are both keen archers and have their own bow&arrows so hopefully we are in a semi-decent position to defend our precious food supplies when the brown stuff (sic) hits the fan! 
Either your son or his partner called katniss or peeta?

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:
2 hours ago, jaybee said:

No wonder some English think we Scots are arseholes, because some of us are.

Considering the large amount of xenophobia steaming from England, I couldn’t give a shit if some of them think the Scots are arseholes.

I don't disagree, but lets face it ........... an arsehole does spew a load of shite. and your point does not negate mine.

57 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

I stated a link between the two things. It's a link that has been there for about 40 years since thatchers government took folk off the unemoyment register and stuck them on long term disability.
This approach has been continued and tweaked by each successive government since then. I'm sure UK isn't alone and other states also do the same to varying degrees using various factors.

Actually you are claiming causality not correlation and you are doing it without providing figures. I have no problem with that but honestly you need to stop criticising others for doing the same thing. We are just exchanging views on a forum, not engaging in deep research or trying to get elected into power. Relax.

I have no doubt that governments are abusing statistics as much as the rest of us in society. It's a question of by how much. I'd be VERY interested in knowing exactly how many people are involuntarily unemployed in all but name. I'd also really like to know many are long term unemployed (more than 6 months). I suspect that it won't be by as much as you think. If it was, a left wing academic somewhere would have done the research and published it.

Edited by oaksoft

14 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Yeah, you only have to work one hour in a two week period to be classed as employed.

I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to draw the line on what is essentially a continuous measure.

Where would you set the line?

Personally I think this is a crap metric.

A more meaningful metric would be to list those receiving Universal Credit support rather than those out of work.

That way you include low wage self employment, zero hours people etc. but because UC is a real cost that is more meaningful.

Employment numbers does not directly tell you about cost.

Edited by oaksoft

Guest TPAFKATS
I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to draw the line on what is essentially a continuous measure.
Where would you set the line?
Personally I think this is a crap metric.
A more meaningful metric would be to list those receiving Universal Credit support rather than those out of work.
That way you include low wage self employment, zero hours people etc. but because UC is a real cost that is more meaningful.
Employment numbers does not directly tell you about cost.
Blah, blah, blah
I'm using the metric that government use. If you don't like them research what you've quoted and come up with your own.

Guest TPAFKATS
Actually you are claiming causality not correlation and you are doing it without providing figures. I have no problem with that but honestly you need to stop criticising others for doing the same thing. We are just exchanging views on a forum, not engaging in deep research or trying to get elected into power. Relax.
I have no doubt that governments are abusing statistics as much as the rest of us in society. It's a question of by how much. I'd be VERY interested in knowing exactly how many people are involuntarily unemployed in all but name. I'd also really like to know many are long term unemployed (more than 6 months). I suspect that it won't be by as much as you think. If it was, a left wing academic somewhere would have done the research and published it.
Why would it only be a left wing academic? You are allowing your own prejudices to come though on this.
I didnt make this up, just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:17 AM, Ayrshire Saints said:

Laughable - So in your eyes you have to feel relevance and have an affinity towards the city where your parliament sits ???

In my 50 plus years on this earth I have been to London no more than 5 times and I'm sure the same applies to thousands of Scots.  I have been to the likes of Paris, Barcelona even Brussels as many times if not more than I have ever visited London. It is a total irrelevance to me but it is 100% fact that is where our parliament sits so no contradiction what so ever. 

I never mentioned anything about affinity and I'm not sure of the relevance of how many times you've visited London, Paris or Brussels? :lol:

Edited by Wendy Saintss

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:21 AM, Bud the Baker said:

Are they not just as much at risk if leave the Customs Union and lose "passporting" rights & isn't that why so many of them including Jacob Rees Mogg's own investment company are setting up  shop in Dublin etc.?

Yes!

Not that its relevant to my answer to Kemp's question!

17 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

14 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It's only "no surprise" if you can follow that statement up with figures stating how many of those listed as "employed" are receiving those sorts of hours.

It's going to be a vanishing small number.

7 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Your statement regarding vanishing small number is made up with absolutely no evidence to back it up. I expected better from a guy who claims to be an academic, a scientist and intellectually superior to the rest of us emoji3.png

Your statement about the employment figures looking so healthy because you only have to work one hour in a two week period to be classified as employed is made up with absolutely no evidence to back it up.

I didn't expect better from a guy who thinks he is intellectually superior to the rest of us. :lol:

:1eye

Blah, blah, blah
I'm using the metric that government use. If you don't like them research what you've quoted and come up with your own.

Why would it only be a left wing academic? You are allowing your own prejudices to come though on this.
I didnt make this up, just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong.

You really are a miserable torn-faced bastard. :lol:

On 2/19/2019 at 10:49 PM, oaksoft said:

Actually it was antrim who threw out the insult.

Perhaps you have trouble reading. Yep. that must be it.

Common people's lives going down the shitter? No melodrama there then.

I didn't see any insult from Antrim, merely a statement of fact.