Brexit Negotiations

Bud the Baker

Guest TPAFKATS
Seems to have been defined as making your own laws and not answering to the European Court. Surely, they argue, any self respecting country would want those things? 
Ah, the UK already makes its own laws though.

• 2 weeks later...

Guest TPAFKATS
Ah.. But at present these need to conform with EU Law and the ultimate Court is in Europe. 
I think that's a bit of a red herring. The 28 countries make their own laws, commonly together through negotiation however they are still sovereign nations.
The European Court which rules on human rights is something that should be welcomed in my opinion. The clue is in the term "human rights" [emoji6]
The UK could use its existing laws to control immigration however it chooses not to and then politicians dog whistle.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

I think that's a bit of a red herring. The 28 countries make their own laws, commonly together through negotiation however they are still sovereign nations.
The European Court which rules on human rights is something that should be welcomed in my opinion. The clue is in the term "human rights" emoji6.png
The UK could use its existing laws to control immigration however it chooses not to and then politicians dog whistle.

The analogy would be an adult making their own rules but those rules being subject to agreement with your siblings and also approved by mum and dad. The killer blow is that those rules can be over ruled by those established by the rest of your family.

Additionally, you can only do trade deals as a family and not individually,

These are core sovereign powers and there is genuine and understandable indignation that we need to suffer any restrictions.

As for the human rights charter, we will still have one. It's just that the UK will write it with no regard to the thoughts of any other country.

The immigration one is odd. If the UK wants UK citizens to move freely i. the EU, they have to reciprocate. Also, we need immigration to keep a wide range of businesses afloat - cleaning, nursing, farming at the bottom end and enterprise, software, IT etc at the top end. The idea that we will reduce overall immigration is pretty fanciful.

Edited by oaksoft

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Big day as British  Cabinet Approves Brexit Deal

Not really.

It's like a bunch of kids approving a scotch egg lunch as that is all they were offered by the teacher, who is wielding a tawse or cane.

They all know the real food and the real decisions are a good way down the road...

Today was an irrelevancy.

5 minutes ago, antrin said:

Not really.

It's like a bunch of kids approving a scotch egg lunch as that is all they were offered by the teacher, who is wielding a tawse or cane.

They all know the real food and the real decisions are a good way down the road...

Today was an irrelevancy.

I was being Ironic. 

The real fun starts now. 

ps

Just seen these on twitter... which put any 'Cabinet' aquiescence into perspective:

1. Nicola SturgeonVerified account @NicolaSturgeon 1h1 hour ago

1. Not long off call with PM. She tried to tell me Scotland’s ‘distinctive’ interests had been protected. I pointed out that there isn’t a single mention of Scotland in the agreement, that it disregards our interests, and puts Scotland at a serious competitive disadvantage.
  1. We had a frank meeting tonight with the Prime Minister lasting almost an hour. She is fully aware of our position and concerns.