Brexit Negotiations

Bud the Baker

8 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

As a secondary point who would have been betting on the £ rising this week?:blink::blink::blink: 

who?

someone who perhaps had been told by  AN INFORMED FRIEND that May would get big support seemingly for her BIG PLAN,

The Cabinet would seem united.

heaps of money would then pile into support the £

and then that INFORMED FRIEND  would withdraw their support  from May

(perhaps resign from Cabinet after agreeing....)

the £ would plummet

anyone who bet AGAINST the £ would have seemed a mug, but suddenly someone could cash in.

I saw what seemed to be precisely that scenario being pilloried on Twitter, but I'd guess someone was already laughing all the way to the bank, by then.

7 hours ago, antrin said:

who?

someone who perhaps had been told by  AN INFORMED FRIEND that May would get big support seemingly for her BIG PLAN,

The Cabinet would seem united.

heaps of money would then pile into support the £

and then that INFORMED FRIEND  would withdraw their support  from May

(perhaps resign from Cabinet after agreeing....)

the £ would plummet

anyone who bet AGAINST the £ would have seemed a mug, but suddenly someone could cash in.

I saw what seemed to be precisely that scenario being pilloried on Twitter, but I'd guess someone was already laughing all the way to the bank, by then.

I'll stick to FOBTs,

9 hours ago, antrin said:

True.  There's nothing to say BREXIT won't improve the plight of the impoverished in the UK.  Apart from reality...

To say it WILL be a beneficial improvement are those such as Mogg, Farage, Davis, Johnson, Fox... need I go on?  They'll do well out of it.

Mogg, I know, has a BIG finger in a hedge fund that'll do very well out of Brexit.  Yes - he DOES believe there will be a financial benefit if he gets his way. BREXIT'S  announced, Greed is set loose...

The £ has fallen dramatically since Brexit was announced, set loose!  The poor are already more impoverished. With us crashing out of the EU, there will be an even more painful hit.  For them.  For most people.

I think you're not wholly correct about how Herr Merkel's land has been the sole beneficiary.... though it is doing well....

Despite all our narking about it, the UK is a richer place for having been a member of the EU.  The Uk has benefitted immensely from it.  from first hand experience, Scotland has.  Most of the fine roads upon which I hurl tourists round the Highlands and Islands have been created/enhanced largely through EU monies flowing out to the outer rim of Europe,

If Scotland hasn't benefitted, then why is the SNP whingeing so much about not having access to EU monies if UK departs the EU?

Ach.

I don't really need to care that much. 

I'm alright Jack. 

Someone else can fight the fight.  f**k the begrudgers.

I don't know why but the SNP have wanted "Independence in Europe " for a long time,  possibly since the late 7ts . To me that is not independence and whenever I asked them why they wanted "independence in Europe " they have been unable to give a satisfactory reply. 

I would probably have to agree with you about the roads up North but down here there has been no overall improvement if anything it has got worse as our motorway network around the central belt is wholly inadequate now with stretches of the M8 worn out and prone to bad surface water retention. 

As far as getting the grants for roads from the EU are concerned,  I always felt we were getting our own money back.

Personally,  I  can't see anything that is an improvement for me that l could say " that is because we are in Europe" . Europe is an autocracy controlled from Berlin and that will become more and more apparent if what happened to Greece is not enough. 

I do think they are trying to make it as difficult as possible for us  to leave because they know that some of or all of the countries you mentioned above want out. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

1 hour ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I don't know why but the SNP have wanted "Independence in Europe " for a long time,  possibly since the late 7ts . To me that is not independence and whenever I asked them why they wanted "independence in Europe " they have been unable to give a satisfactory reply. 

I would probably have to agree with you about the roads up North but down here there has been no overall improvement if anything it has got worse as our motorway network around the central belt is wholly inadequate now with stretches of the M8 worn out and prone to bad surface water retention. 

As far as getting the grants for roads from the EU are concerned,  I always felt we were getting our own money back.

Personally,  I  can't see anything that is an improvement for me that l could say " that is because we are in Europe" . Europe is an autocracy controlled from Berlin and that will become more and more apparent if what happened to Greece is not enough. 

I do think they are trying to make it as difficult as possible for us  to leave because they know that some of or all of the countries you mentioned above want out. .

Independence in Europe - the policy is to be a full member of the EU which is our de facto trading area. 

There are 27 countries set to remain in the EU some of them small countries like Scotland eg Denmark (pop 5.7million), Slovakia (pop 5.4million) the question is whether Scotland would be better off as a sovereign country of 5.4 million people in the EU or a region of the UK in who knows what circumstances - the answer is pretty simple for me.

My abiding memory of the 2014 IndyRef is Project Fear and English politicians saying "we love you but if you go we'll do everything we can to make it difficult for you" - that's not love that's abuse!

Edited by Bud the Baker

On 11/17/2018 at 12:19 PM, TPAFKATS said:
On 11/17/2018 at 12:09 AM, oaksoft said:
It's a very good book.
You should read it.
It would help you with that victim complex you carry around in your coat pocket.

Oh dear...

Are you seriously going to deny that you have a massive chip on your shoulder?

5 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Independence in Europe - the policy is to be a full member of the EU which is our de facto trading area. 

There are 27 countries set to remain in the EU some of them small countries like Scotland eg Denmark (pop 5.7million), Slovakia (pop 5.4million) the question is whether Scotland would be better off as a sovereign country of 5.4 million people in the EU or a region of the UK in who knows what circumstances - the answer is pretty simple for me.

My abiding memory of the 2014 IndyRef is Project Fear and English politicians saying "we love you but if you go we'll do everything we can to make it difficult for you" - that's not love that's abuse!

I think we have as much sovereignity within the UK as you would be likely to see in Europe(possibly less in Europe where we would likely become a small insignificant country) , granted that our sovereignity has been leaking away over the last 40yrs .

Over the last 40yrs we have seen Europe destroy the once thriving Scottish fishing industry as our boats stayed in harbour whilst boats from Europe trawled our waters. The top tear in Europe is an unelected executive that  even most MEPs don't know the names of . Every year the equivalent of the UK financial contribution just disappears due to corruption . The upgrading of the A74 to M74 was carried out by an Italian company that brought its own equipment , all the way from Italy . That sounds quite corrupt too. .

We have been in a political union with England for over 300yrs and for the most part l think both countries have done well out of it . The trading area you mention was something we signed up to with Edward Heath over 40yrs ago called the EEC . He got paid enough personally to do that , that he was able to afford a new massive yacht. Since then we have had the insideous Union  foisted upon us . The trading agreement meant that we then traded with the then 8 other countries of Europe , rather than trade with the world as we had been doing for hundreds of years . .

Like you Colin , l know which union l would rather be in until such times as we get a government that will actually give Scotland actual independence ( we might have to wait another few years for that). .

23 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I think we have as much sovereignity within the UK as you would be likely to see in Europe(possibly less in Europe where we would likely become a small insignificant country) , granted that our sovereignity has been leaking away over the last 40yrs .

Over the last 40yrs we have seen Europe destroy the once thriving Scottish fishing industry as our boats stayed in harbour whilst boats from Europe trawled our waters. The top tear in Europe is an unelected executive that  even most MEPs don't know the names of . Every year the equivalent of the UK financial contribution just disappears due to corruption . The upgrading of the A74 to M74 was carried out by an Italian company that brought its own equipment , all the way from Italy . That sounds quite corrupt too. .

We have been in a political union with England for over 300yrs and for the most part l think both countries have done well out of it . The trading area you mention was something we signed up to with Edward Heath over 40yrs ago called the EEC . He got paid enough personally to do that , that he was able to afford a new massive yacht. Since then we have had the insideous Union  foisted upon us . The trading agreement meant that we then traded with the then 8 other countries of Europe , rather than trade with the world as we had been doing for hundreds of years . .

Like you Colin , l know which union l would rather be in until such times as we get a government that will actually give Scotland actual independence ( we might have to wait another few years for that)

We should have fought harder for our fishing industry when we joined back in the 70s especially as it coincided with the Cod Wars which arguably had a bigger effect.

I've no doubt there is corruption in Brussels and (also some fat could be trimmed from the beaurocracy :rolleyes: ) but in the 21st Century we don't have the clout to be a major "playa" by ourselves and we have to accept that but at least it looks like were going to be spared the No Deal beloved of the Tory right which would turn us into a low regulation, low tax economy with drastically curtailed public services.  

For 45 years we had a half-hearted attitude to membership frequently using the EU as a bogeyman so it shouldn't have been a great surprise that four months wasn't long enough to prevent Leave from winning especially given the complacent nature of the Remain campain.

I'd also agree the Union was good for Scotland up until Mararet Thatcher ditched "One Nation Toryism" in 1979 - since then not so good!

Edited by Bud the Baker

On 11/19/2018 at 5:23 PM, Bud the Baker said:

I'd also agree the Union was good for Scotland up until Mararet Thatcher ditched "One Nation Toryism" in 1979 - since then not so good!

It's embarrassing that people are still grinding their teeth over this woman. You have had nearly 30 years to get over her policies.

Guest TPAFKATS

I see may has now resorted to calling EU nationals living and working in UK queue jumpers with regards to immigration.
What a dog whistling odious c**t she is. Its embarrassing that she's prime minister.

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It's embarrassing that people are still grinding their teeth over this woman. You have had nearly 30 years to get over her policies.

You're simply shite-stirring (or you are simply a simpleton).

Due to her policies, we now import coal from Europe and Russia,.

Many of our 'national treasures'  were sold off and are now owned by foreign countries eg electricity, gas, water supply (which skim off profits from that national asset). 

We are in hock to far Eastern countries to build Nuclear power (which won't be built in a timely fashion). 

Council housing stock was sold off and not replaced by sufficient low-cost housing. 

The British lads killed in her vainglorious attempt at war-mongering against Argentina are still cold and dead.

I could go on.  And on.

Political decisions have ramifications (for good OR bad) for years to follow.  

Edited by antrin
sp

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

I see may has now resorted to calling EU nationals living and working in UK queue jumpers with regards to immigration.
What a dog whistling odious c**t she is. Its embarrassing that she's prime minister.

I f**king hate Brexit. Constant reminder that my mother and I are basically second class citizens now.

4 hours ago, antrin said:

You're simply shite-stirring (or you are simply a simpleton).

Due to her policies, we now import coal from Europe and Russia,.

Many of our 'national treasures'  were sold off and are now owned by foreign countries eg electricity, gas, water supply (which skim off profits from that national asset). 

We are in hock to far Eastern countries to build Nuclear power (which won't be built in a timely fashion). 

Council housing stock was sold off and not replaced by sufficient low-cost housing. 

The British lads killed in her vainglorious attempt at war-mongering against Argentina are still cold and dead.

I could go on.  And on.

Political decisions have ramifications (for good OR bad) for years to follow.  

The vast majority own our own houses.

More people than ever are running their own businesses.

Most people now own their own car and can enjoy the freedom which comes with it.

Our population is more educated than it has ever been.

True Poverty is pretty much over in the UK.

The intenet combined with the free distribution of lecture material on almost every subject has brought about democratisation of knowledge.

We still have an NHS free at the point of use and a tuition-free education system in Scotland.

Crime rates are at a historical low and continue to fall.

Homosexuality is now legal and largely accepted.

Living together without being married is now accepted.

Having children out of wedlock is now accepted.

People have more personal freedom now than at any other time in our nation's history.

Food has never been cheaper.

There has never been a better time to be alive in Scotland than right now.

But you want to weep over what happened in 1979?

It's your life you are wasting.

Most of the rest of us are too busy enjoying life.

23 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

UN expert would disagree about poverty.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/20/un-poverty-expert-philip-alston-amber-rudd

Hmm, who to believe emoji848.png

Unfortunately Mr Oaksoft world is in a small bubble in which he can't see out. The UN write a poverty report , the vast majority of the population knows our country suffers unnecessary poverty.  

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

10 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Unfortunately Mr Oaksoft world is in a small bubble in which he can't see out. The UN write a poverty report , the vast majority of the population knows our country suffers unnecessary poverty.  

Add to that some of his statements are nonsense and most have f all to do with Thatcher