Brexit Negotiations

Bud the Baker

2 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Boris - Got Brexit Done

Deal agreed

Labour and the rest can stfu

Need a deal - got one

1. Need rid of backstop - done

Waiting for the finer details obviously and the usual suspects the ‘ah but’ brigade....

Sturgeon was asked : Do you think we should stay part of EU ?

Yes she replied

She was then asked , but You want Scotland to split from the rest of the UK ?

Ah but she replied

Deal done

Lets got on with dealing with Covid now

2. EU regulations soon to be a thing of the past

1. That's because the border is down the Irish Sea - the first offer the EU made back in 2017 and one which we rejected as unacceptable by a Cabinet containing Boris Johnson. :hammer

2. Nope the whole deal is based on us sticking to EU regulations 

image.png

8 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Thankfully

If you break into my house but cut yourself on a knife I’ve left by the sink , you can claim off me ?

Terrorists appealing deportation ?

Nah , good news emoji4.png

Yeah 

Good news :thumbsup

Yes the majority of those who voted to leave will have received what they voted for, the little blue passport and no complications going on their holidays, the other consequencies can be blamed on the EU as they arise not the buffoon who negotiated them. Now can we get rid of Borid and see if the tories can find an actual leader?

28 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Yes the majority of those who voted to leave will have received what they voted for, the little blue passport and no complications going on their holidays, the other consequencies can be blamed on the EU as they arise not the buffoon who negotiated them. Now can we get rid of Borid and see if the tories can find an actual leader?

No complications?

We can no longer use our EHIC cards for free in Europe. 

Insurance costs have already risen.    It will take longer to get through passport control on arrival.

And never mind holidays, there is less freedom of movement to work in the Eu countries - which makes it even harder for youngsters leaving college.  Or oldies wanting to expand their lives.

Will this govt still pay Pensions (and pension rises) to UK people who have moved to EU countries?

55 minutes ago, antrin said:

Or 4?

Fify.   :)

I see that there is no agreement on Services and that the City is getting a bit jittery with the other European financial hubs circling like vultures. Get Independence and maybe Embra can steal some of the keenwa from your plates too! :)

14 minutes ago, antrin said:

Will this govt still pay Pensions (and pension rises) to UK people who have moved to EU countries?

Will they still pay it to stay-at-home pensioners once the joint costs of Brexit&Covid hit and were suffering Austerity2?

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

I see that there is no agreement on Services and that the City is getting a bit jittery with the other European financial hubs circling like vultures. Get Independence and maybe Embra can steal some of the keenwa from your plates too! :)

Will they still pay it to stay-at-home pensioners once the joint costs of Brexit&Covid hit and were suffering Austerity2?

Typical scaremongering which, thankfully, helped the SNP lose the last attempt at independence. 

Keep it up, you're doing a great job. 

It seems some people are quite happy............................

RETAIL: Helen Dickinson, chief executive of the British Retail Consortium, said: "This protects consumers on both sides of the Channel from billions in import tariffs on everyday goods. Given that four-fifths of UK food imports come from the EU, today’s announcement should afford households around the UK a collective sigh of relief.”

FINANCIAL SERVICES: Bob Wigley, executive chair of UK Finance: “Concluding these negotiations with an agreement brings much-needed certainty for businesses and paves the way for the beginning of a new relationship with the European Union. The banking industry remains focused on supporting customers and businesses impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic and the end of the transition period.

"Looking ahead, it will be important to build on the foundations of this trade deal by strengthening arrangements for future trade in financial services.

“This can be achieved by building on the longstanding regulatory dialogue and supervisory cooperation between UK and EU authorities and reaching agreements on all appropriate equivalence determinations as soon as possible.

“Consumers and businesses in both the EU and UK will benefit from maintaining open and integrated capital markets and facilitating the flow of cross-border financial services in the years ahead.”

SMALL BUSINESSES: Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) national chairman Mike Cherry added: “After such a torrid year, and during such a disrupted festive trading season, it’s a huge relief to see negotiators finally strike a deal.

“The work of looking through the detail of the agreement to map out exactly what it means for the small firms that make-up 99% of our business community now begins.”

CAR INDUSTRY: Mike Hawes, CEO of Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT): “We welcome today’s agreement of a new EU-UK trading agreement, which provides a platform for our future relationship.

“We await the details to ensure this deal works for all automotive goods and technologies, including specifics on rules of origin and future regulatory co-operation.

“A phase-in period is critical to help businesses on both sides adapt and efforts should now be sustained to ensure seamless implementation, with tariff-free trade fully accessible and effective for all from day one. We will continue to work closely with government to ensure all companies are as prepared as possible in the limited time left.”

33 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Don't think The City (And hedge-fund type shysters like Mogg) will mind the new lack of oversight from EU.  There is an 'equivalence' set up - IE Each looking to see if the others is stricter than it is. 

A race to the bottom and I'd back the Londoners to win that.  For the good of Britain, you understand?

SMALL BUSINESSES: Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) national chairman Mike Cherry added:

“After such a torrid year, and during such a disrupted festive trading season, it’s a huge relief to see negotiators finally strike a deal.

“The work of looking through the detail of the agreement to map out exactly what it means for the small firms that make-up 99% of our business community now begins.”

So what are the other 1% he represents ?[emoji848]

32 minutes ago, antrin said:

Don't think The City (And hedge-fund type shysters like Mogg) will mind the new lack of oversight from EU.  There is an 'equivalence' set up - IE Each looking to see if the others is stricter than it is. 

A race to the bottom and I'd back the Londoners to win that.  For the good of Britain, you understand?

Mogg's company set up a subsidiary in the RoI to avoid problems with "passporting" a coupla years back - 7,500 City jobs have already moved to Europe. I'm surprised a linguist like yourself didn't realize that "equivalence" means the same regulatory standards for the EU & the UK even so it's uncertain whether this informal strategy will be enough to satisfy the EU and the estimates I've seen predict another 10-35k jobs will move to Europe over the next few years. 

One things for sure - the talking's not done yet!

Edited by Bud the Baker

Actually from the UKs POV it looks like a reasonably good deal, better than I expected us to get but it's not as good as what we had and who can fail to have a touch of schadenfreude with respect to the fishing industry who for @faraway saint's information are "bitterly disappointed".

As ever the challenge is to find a neutral summary of the deal, here's one from David Henig, head of the UK Trade Policy Project at the European Centre for International Political Economy, which might fit the bill.

There will of course be major challenges in the future relationship. Ultimately the EU achieved their main goals from Brexit, and the UK arguably did not. The EU successfully avoided a border on the island of Ireland and protected the single market from significant cherry picking. The UK succeeded in the headline goal of leaving the EU, but failed as proponents had expected to retain the benefits of membership without incurring the costs, and more recently in overturning any of the withdrawal agreement as the staunch Brexiteers had hoped. The EU also looks stronger for demonstrating so far that leaving is not an easy option, while the UK’s ability to maintain trade relations while escaping ‘the Brussels Effect’ of following EU regulations is going to be tested, business for example will wish to reverse the decision to leave some European regulatory agencies.

Edited by Bud the Baker

19 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I'm surprised a linguist like yourself didn't realize that "equivalence" means the same regulatory standards for the EU & the UK even so it's uncertain whether this informal strategy will be enough to satisfy the EU and the estimates I've seen predict another 10-35k jobs will move to Europe over the next few years. 

As a 'linguist' I recognised the sophistry involved in the acceptance of equivalence, as defined by what you want it to mean.

"so-called equivalence decisions involve each side evaluating whether the other’s financial services regulations are as tough as its own. Banks and traders have acknowledged that the proposed system is more piecemeal than existing arrangements, and less stable. "

12 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Actually from the UKs POV it looks like a reasonably good deal, better than I expected us to get but it's not as good as what we had and who can fail to have a touch of schadenfreude with respect to the fishing industry who for @faraway saint's information are "bitterly disappointed".

As ever the challenge is to find a neutral summary of the deal, here's one from David Henig, head of the UK Trade Policy Project at the European Centre for International Political Economy, which might fit the bill.

The fishing industry, worth about tuppence to the UK economy. 😂

You've proved my earlier statement, some people will scrape about for something to whine about, especially you with your never ending political point scoring games. 

You don't give a monkeys about the fishing industry, just something that you dredged up, see what I did there, to bore us to death with. 

Gies piece. 

16 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The fishing industry, worth about tuppence to the UK economy. 😂

You've proved my earlier statement, some people will scrape about for something to whine about, especially you with your never ending political point scoring games. 

You don't give a monkeys about the fishing industry, just something that you dredged up, see what I did there, to bore us to death with. 

Gies piece. 

No I don't give a monkey's about the fishing industry who believed they were gonna be Brexit winners, they were always gonna be disposable - from Day 1. They did however play a significant part of the "we're an island nation" ethos of the LEAVE campaign so it's something we're all gonna be paying for from now on - even you.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Typical scaremongering which, thankfully, helped the SNP lose the last attempt at independence. 

Keep it up, you're doing a great job. 

Gotta love the Tory party whose more libertarian members have proposed raising the pension age to 75 and scrapping the Triple Lock - the state pension is not safe in their hands.

7 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

No I don't give a monkey's about the fishing industry who believed they were gonna be Brexit winners, they were always gonna be disposable - from Day 1. They did however play a significant part of the "we're an island nation" ethos of the LEAVE campaign so it's something we're all gonna be paying for from now on - even you.

Gotta love the Tory party whose more libertarian members have proposed raising the pension age to 75 and scrapping the Triple Lock - the state pension is not safe in their hands.

And, I know you'll find this hard, what do you think the chances of that happening are? 

I'll go first, next to feck all.

Your turn. 

53 minutes ago, antrin said:

As a 'linguist' I recognised the sophistry involved in the acceptance of equivalence, as defined by what you want it to mean.

"so-called equivalence decisions involve each side evaluating whether the other’s financial services regulations are as tough as its own. Banks and traders have acknowledged that the proposed system is more piecemeal than existing arrangements, and less stable. "

Equivalence means "the same" and not something similar and it's not even guaranteed according to Monsieur Barnier!

The EU’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier made it clear on Monday that, when the UK leaves the single market, financial services firms based in Britain will lose their “passporting” rights.

“On financial services, UK voices suggest that Brexit does not mean Brexit. Brexit means Brexit, everywhere,” Mr Barnier told the Centre for European Reform

The reality is that banks gave up on hopes of the UK retaining the passport some time ago.

When it became clear that Theresa May was not going to try to keep the UK as an effective member of the single market after Brexit it was obvious that the passport would ultimately go.

What Mr Barnier’s words do is puncture the belief that something called “equivalence” will come to the rescue.

What is equivalence?

It is short for “regulatory equivalence”.

This is the idea that if the UK financial regulator adopts the same regulatory standards as the pan-European financial regulator the European regulator will continue to allow UK-based financial firms to operate as they do now in Europe.

Mr Barnier’s words suggest this isn’t going to be acceptable to Europe.

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

It seems some people are quite happy............................

RETAIL: Helen Dickinson, chief executive of the British Retail Consortium, said: "This protects consumers on both sides of the Channel from billions in import tariffs on everyday goods. Given that four-fifths of UK food imports come from the EU, today’s announcement should afford households around the UK a collective sigh of relief.”

FINANCIAL SERVICES: Bob Wigley, executive chair of UK Finance: “Concluding these negotiations with an agreement brings much-needed certainty for businesses and paves the way for the beginning of a new relationship with the European Union. The banking industry remains focused on supporting customers and businesses impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic and the end of the transition period.

"Looking ahead, it will be important to build on the foundations of this trade deal by strengthening arrangements for future trade in financial services.

“This can be achieved by building on the longstanding regulatory dialogue and supervisory cooperation between UK and EU authorities and reaching agreements on all appropriate equivalence determinations as soon as possible.

“Consumers and businesses in both the EU and UK will benefit from maintaining open and integrated capital markets and facilitating the flow of cross-border financial services in the years ahead.”

SMALL BUSINESSES: Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) national chairman Mike Cherry added: “After such a torrid year, and during such a disrupted festive trading season, it’s a huge relief to see negotiators finally strike a deal.

CAR INDUSTRY: Mike Hawes, CEO of Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT): “We welcome today’s agreement of a new EU-UK trading agreement, which provides a platform for our future relationship.

“We await the details to ensure this deal works for all automotive goods and technologies, including specifics on rules of origin and future regulatory co-operation.

“A phase-in period is critical to help businesses on both sides adapt and efforts should now be sustained to ensure seamless implementation, with tariff-free trade fully accessible and effective for all from day one. We will continue to work closely with government to ensure all companies are as prepared as possible in the limited time left.”

As the saying goes "the devil is in the detail".

Edited by smcc

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

And, I know you'll find this hard, what do you think the chances of that happening are? 

I'll go first, next to feck all.

Your turn. 

Yeah and politicians don't push an extreme idea in order to slip in something softer later on - the state pension is not safe under the current Tory government.