RIP Gordon Wilson

stlucifer

A mainstay of the Scottish Nationalist movement and leader from 1979 to 1990. He help start the revolution.
As I said, RIP Gordon

He worked in T.F. Reid and Donaldson in the mid 60's. I knew him kind of. But he was slightly odd then. Really shy.

Guest TPAFKATS
I always had a lot of respect for Jim Sillars , he never minced his words and when he coined the "90 minute Nationalist phrase" I reckoned that it was pretty accurate at the time. .

I went to see him speak at West school in summer before indy referendum in 2014.
Found him to be interesting and some if his stuff quite radical and inspiring.
Then he started calling for folk not to vote snp which I found strange as I thought he was an snp member.
I've concluded he wants out of EU a lot more than he wants Scottish Independence.

13 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Yes. 11 years a buddie, workwise.

I only spoke to him on a very few occasions. I can still picture him walking down St.Mirren Brae with his briefcase and wearing an old raincoat. He had a limp then and I was told he had polio when he was a boy. No idea if that was true.

23 hours ago, stlucifer said:

A mainstay of the Scottish Nationalist movement and leader from 1979 to 1990. He help start the revolution.

As I said, RIP Gordon

Then revolution ha ha.............

Bollocks- He was an SNP Tory- Salmond took the SNPs left

With respect of course- Sad he has passed away, however lets get the facts straight

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

With respect of course- Sad he has passed away, however lets get the facts straight

That's as maybe but he still took up the mantle at a time when the SNP were pulling themselves apart and he was in charge when they won Govan in a by-election. A not insignificant achievement and a forerunner for what happened later.

8 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

That's as maybe but he still took up the mantle at a time when the SNP were pulling themselves apart and he was in charge when they won Govan in a by-election. A not insignificant achievement and a forerunner for what happened later.

Respect to him

He was a true patriot , just a tory one, however that's when tories had a smidge of morals  

4 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Tartan Tories was a common slur for the SNP back in the 7ts , can't say I have heard it recently as it was probably a slur started by someone like Donald Dewar or that c**t Robertson , so that they didn't lose votes to the SNP.

Occasionaly you would also hear the Tartan Reds slur but less frequently . The Party used to promote Labour and Tory voters coming together to vote for Independence . I always thought of the Party as more Liberal/Centreist than anything else , indeed at one time the Liberals wanted the SNP to merge with their party in Scotland and I believe it was William Wolfe that told the Liberals to buy their SNP memberships if they wanted to be part of the Party. .

The idea back in the 7ts (when the Party gathered some momentum on the back of the 1974 World Cup performance) was that in an independent Scotland the SNP would disolve and Scotland would vote in something like a Scottish Labour party ( a left wing mob anyway) . However , I can't remember the last time we had a left wing government in the Country. In an independent Scotland nowadays it is anyones guess what would happen. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

3 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Tartan Tories was a common slur for the SNP back in the 7ts , can't say I have heard it recently as it was probably a slur started by someone like Donald Dewar or that c**t Robertson , so that they didn't lose votes to the SNP.

Occasionaly you would also hear the Tartan Reds slur but less frequently . The Party used to promote Labour and Tory voters coming together to vote for Independence . I always thought of the Party as more Liberal/Centreist than anything else , indeed at one time the Liberals wanted the SNP to merge with their party in Scotland and I believe it was William Wolfe that told the Liberals to buy their SNP memberships if they wanted to be part of the Party. .

The idea back in the 7ts (when the Party gathered some momentum on the back of the 1974 World Cup performance) was that in an independent Scotland the SNP would disolve and Scotland would vote in something like a Scottish Labour party ( a left wing mob anyway) . However , I can't remember the last time we had a left wing government in the Country. In an independent Scotland nowadays it is anyones guess what would happen. .

The idea is still the same and no matter which party wins after independence it would be one WE chose.

9 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Salmond's passed away?

oh dear. How sad. Never mind.