In 1976 Paisley Saint Mirren FC took part in what was to be the last professional football match to be played in the UK , on Christmas Day. .

The game was played at Kilbowie . A Clydebank fan who is a colleague of mine says that Buddies started to throw bricks etc at the Clydebank fans after Saints went 2 goals down.

Whilst Saints fans did invade the pitch , I don't know about the missiles being thrown at the Bankies as this was a good couple of months before my first ever Paisley Saint Mirren game . .

However , as there were reports of 14k fans being there l reckon some guys on here would have witnesssed said game. .

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13194710.Recalling_Christmas_Day_football_in_Clydebank______and_Fergie_berating_the_linesman/

Edited by saintnextlifetime
edited by Tom for language and grammar

12 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

In 1976 Paisley Saint Mirren FC took part in what was to be the last professional football match to be played in the UK , on Christmas Day. .

The game was played at Kilbowie . A Clydebank fan who is a colleague of mine says that Buddies started to throw bricks etc at the Clydebank fans after Saints went 2 goals down.

Whilst Saints fans did invade the pitch , I don't know about the missiles being thrown at the Bankies as this was a good couple of months before my first ever Paisley Saint Mirren game . .

However , as there were reports of 14k fans being there l reckon some guys on here would have witnesssed said game. .

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13194710.Recalling_Christmas_Day_football_in_Clydebank______and_Fergie_berating_the_linesman/

I was there and still have the programme.

Incredible atmosphere... quite volatile.

Things were being thrown in BOTH directions... Bankies fans were just as bad.

Just now, BuddieinEK said:

That's how I remember it, although, I was too busy with my critique of the kits both teams were wearing to notice the bricks.

I was there, I was only 7 but remember thinking St Mirren fans are really nice and full of xmas spirit by giving 

the Clydebank fans a drink of there wine, shame they had to resort to throwing the bottles as the Bankies fans 

were too far away and couldn't hand them over, but a nice gesture all the same...:)

18 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Both seat of fans got posters by the guy who done "The Big Yin" cartoon in the sunday mail . Was it Malky ? Ill need to check , i think ive still got mine .

I`m sure i`ve said on another thread on this subject , we went for a beer in the nearby Orange Halls .!!!!

Malky McCormick

I was there, really enjoyed it. We were two down and well into the second half and got away with a two two draw.  We were on a decent unbeaten run at the time.  

One week later on New Year's Day we beat Morton six three at Cappielow.  For me, after all these years, still my favourite Saints game. 

There was more than 8k there I would take attendance figures with a pinch all clubs were fiddling the figures in those days. I was at the game but in the bankie end remember the bottles cans and pies being thrown by both sets of fans. I would say volatile but friendly atmosphere. Much better than the stale atmosphere at grounds these days. That was when football was football both on and off the park

I was there and can remember fans on both sides with santa outfits punching the shit out of each others :lol:  As others have said there was a lot of trouble at the game. I can remember getting a late xmas dinner at my mum but don't know how I went to and back from the game since public transport would have been a no go even all those years ago.  Guessing it was the Tudor Arms bus since I think I was a member at that time. My guess of the crowd would have been around 8000 since only half the ground had any decent size terracing in it.

4 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

To call it a programme is being generous.

It was more of a pamphlet. :D

Cracking day. Trying to think of how I got there. The usual Clydebank route of Renfrew Ferry to Yoker and walking to Kilbowie couldn't have been a goer as presumably the ferry wouldn't have been running on Xmas day?

I was there. An 'interesting' afternoon out. Great to see a game on Xmas day. I just remember the stadium being full to the gunnels. There was a lot of alcohol involved and a lot of good natured banter. Saw a few pies getting chucked about and the usual baiting but nothing serious. Gave away my poster just a few years ago to a younger fan.

My Linthouse Barber, a Bankie who was at the Match also, said Clydebank fans stole carryouts from Saints fans and it all kicked off from that.

Renfrew & Kendo were fecking fuming.

In those days there were buses and I think trains on Christmas day. Think the renfrew ferry was on.my memory is not what it was

My mate said he had to hurry back after the game to get the ferry before it closed for the night.