Lost Our Spine - Worrying Sign??

We have lost the below:

O'Brien

Davis

Mallan

Loy

Trying to earn promotion from this league is hard enough but to try and do it without these 4 guys will be tough. The replacements are:

Samson

Buchanan

Kirkpatrick/Magennis

Reilly

Time will tell if these guys can fill their boots but I would say at least 3 out of the 4 of last years spine were better players.

We've still got McKenzie, who, for me, was more influential overall than Davis.

In terms of midfield, McGinn is the 'spine' player, in my eyes. Loy will be a miss, certainly, but I reckon we'll have enough to plug the gap he leaves by the time the league campaign starts.

In terms of a keeper, O'Brien was certainly decent, but I'm hopeful that Stewart will not be a step down in quality, and Samson should be fine at this level.

Plenty of time to bring in another couple of players who could make an impact.

Way too early to be concerned.

Or look at it another way

O'Brien- Had some very dodgy moments and even when we were winning conceded a lot of goals

Davis- Injured and we did fine with out him

Mallan- Was total rubbish till JR came in- The money we got for him is worth the loss, plus he deserves a chance at a higher level,

Loy- Sorry but he really only came onto a game the last 5/6 matches, oh and missed a pen that would have kept the momentum going

Is there really any point to be negative in July ??

O'Brien was pretty poor.

Davis was injured, MacKenzie was the part of the spine in defence and he is back.

Mallan & Loy have not been replaced.

With Mallan gone we can move Magennis in to the middle and look to create from other areas.  However, I am fairly concerned at his loss.

We desperately need to sign a striker if we intend to compete.  Those signed so far do not fill me with hope.  I do think J&J will have miscalculated if they don't think we need a bit more experience in the team.  We are two or three players short at present.

No doubt we need a striker, I think we will see a loan deal coming at us............... Jack knows better than any of us, as he sees it every day.... With a main front man , we have lots of attacking options, young Ross is also one for the season

20 minutes ago, Drew said:

We've still got McKenzie, who, for me, was more influential overall than Davis.

In terms of midfield, McGinn is the 'spine' player, in my eyes. Loy will be a miss, certainly, but I reckon we'll have enough to plug the gap he leaves by the time the league campaign starts.

In terms of a keeper, O'Brien was certainly decent, but I'm hopeful that Stewart will not be a step down in quality, and Samson should be fine at this level.

Plenty of time to bring in another couple of players who could make an impact.

Way too early to be concerned.

That blunder for me was a good thing for Samson would like to think he has learned concentration is vital. I think we will be or there abouts come the end of the season we look very direct when on the ball. 

We have lost nothing. 

We will still have 11 players on the Pitch and each giving 100%.

And those lads all under the direction of Jack Ross and James Fowler. 

So, quit flapping. 

22 minutes ago, YardleyBoom said:

We have lost the below:

O'Brien

Davis

Mallan

Loy

Trying to earn promotion from this league is hard enough but to try and do it without these 4 guys will be tough. The replacements are:

Samson

Buchanan

Kirkpatrick/Magennis

Reilly

Time will tell if these guys can fill their boots but I would say at least 3 out of the 4 of last years spine were better players.

Davis was a brilliant player for us but Baird played more games than he did in the later half of the season in which we won more games. And McKenzie is the main man in defence as is McGinn in midfield. Do you know what Reilly is capable of to write him off. In 2014-15 Loy scored 9 League goals in 26 games the Championship for Falkirk. Reilly scored 13 goals in 32 games for a poorer team (QoS). So what makes Loy a better player than Reilly? We need a backup I reckon but Reilly may be as good as if not better than Loy.

Mallan is a loss but he would be a loss to any team. And Sammy has proved to be decent. Stewart is unknown at this level.

We still have Irvine, Eckersley, McKenzie, Morgan Magennis, Stelios, McGinn and Smith who have all proved themselves to be excellent players at Championship level. And who is to say Reilly, Hilson, Buchanan won't be as good as these guys? Maybe you need some happy pills. :)

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Davis was a brilliant player for us but Baird played more games than he did in the later half of the season in which we won more games. And McKenzie is the main man in defence as is McGinn in midfield. Do you know what Reilly is capable of to write him off. In 2014-15 Loy scored 9 League goals in 26 games the Championship for Falkirk. Reilly scored 13 goals in 32 games for a poorer team (QoS). So what makes Loy a better player than Reilly? We need a backup I reckon but Reilly may be as good as if not better than Loy.

Mallan is a loss but he would be a loss to any team. And Sammy has proved to be decent. Stewart is unknown at this level.

We still have Irvine, Eckersley, McKenzie, Morgan Magennis, Stelios, McGinn and Smith who have all proved themselves to be excellent players at Championship level. And who is to say Reilly, Hilson, Buchanan won't be as good as these guys? Maybe you need some happy pills. :)

Ross looks raw but im sure there is a good player in there , tall and looks like he has pace good to have a tall young forward on the books would like see more of him he did not get much time to settle against Dundee. 

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Happy pills naw , some Northern Soul music should do the trick. .:)

2 hours ago, YardleyBoom said:

We have lost the below:

O'Brien

Davis

Mallan

Loy

Samson

Buchanan

Kirkpatrick/Magennis

Reilly

O'Brien did a good job, but was also pretty shaky on cross balls. Samson had a mare the other night, but is far better than that, and has young Stewart to compete with.

Davis was commanding when he came in last season, but he only started 6 league games, missing the last 8. I think it's clear that Mackenzie is the backbone of our defence, and I've still got great confidence in him. Buchanan and Baird are his competition at the moment, but I'd be surprised if another top centre half doesn't come in.

In midfield Magennis looks like being Mallan's replacement. A big job for anyone, but I think Kyle has what it takes to do that job, with others chipping in with the goals and assists we've lost.

Up front Reilly has a good record in this league with 25 goals and in 59 starts - Loy has scored 37 in 91 in the championship, so not a lot between them.

In addition to all of this, we have McGinn, Morgan, Smith, Stelios & Eckersley with top quality in this league. Bit extra needed, but we're not that far short.

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

O'Brien was pretty poor.

Davis was injured, MacKenzie was the part of the spine in defence and he is back.

Mallan & Loy have not been replaced.

With Mallan gone we can move Magennis in to the middle and look to create from other areas.  However, I am fairly concerned at his loss.

We desperately need to sign a striker if we intend to compete.  Those signed so far do not fill me with hope.  I do think J&J will have miscalculated if they don't think we need a bit more experience in the team.  We are two or three players short at present.

Jack wanted Loy, so I don't think he was of the opinion that we didn't need more experience. He'll still want that in another player. I also think he is looking for another centre half, experienced and of good quality. Bit to go yet before we're done in the market.

Or look at it another way
O'Brien- Had some very dodgy moments and even when we were winning conceded a lot of goals
Davis- Injured and we did fine with out him
Mallan- Was total rubbish till JR came in- The money we got for him is worth the loss, plus he deserves a chance at a higher level,
Loy- Sorry but he really only came onto a game the last 5/6 matches, oh and missed a pen that would have kept the momentum going

Is there really any point to be negative in July ??

Yeah...... the weather's pish [emoji87]

I'm pretty sure (though I haven't checked) the status of other teams in the league with regards to players in and out would have changed, maybe more so than St Mirren. It would be interesting to see which teams are deemed stronger than last season, and which teams are deemed weaker. I'd say Mallan didn't come on to his game until the TNS game. For me, that game was the turning point for St Mirren overall.

I personally think the game that turned it round for us last season was Dumferline away.  We managed to grind a draw out of a game where we probably should have been beat.  The week after that was away to Dundee and the rest is history as they say.

Mallan is obviously the main man we have lost. Top scorer, most assists.

If we still had him then I don't think we'd be having this debate.

I'm hopeful that Stewart, Buchanan and Reilly will prove to be decent enough replacements for O'Brien, Davis and Loy.

Can Mallan be replaced?

It allows Magennis to play in the centre rather than out wide. This may allow McGinn and Morgan to attack more. We may have a more natural attacking player on the right, like Hilson or Todd.

Smith may contribute even more now he's settled in and with Mallan being away. Kirkpatrick may produce the goods.

I think we've got a squad good enough to make top 4.

I said to Mrs Poz right after the 1-1 Hibs game at Easter Road - see if that cnut Ross takes us into next season without O'Brien, Davis, Mallan and Loy, that's it. That's me done. Finished. ST card cut in two and posted off in a jiffy bag with a big jobby (jobbie, if you're a veggie weirdo from the other side of the Clyde...) marked for Gordon Scott's attention.

Fcuk off Ross. Take Scott and Fitzpatrick with you. :angry:

Fcuking Booooooooo!

Edited by pozbaird

I have previous on this , but I really worry about Baird. I don't think he's coming on quickly enough and I felt , of all the players on show , he was the one v Dundee who was being bullied when he dwelled on the ball.

5 minutes ago, billyg said:

I have previous on this , but I really worry about Baird. I don't think he's coming on quickly enough and I felt , of all the players on show , he was the one v Dundee who was being bullied when he dwelled on the ball.

Jack was very strong in the last half dozen or so games of the season. When Saints play well, and with confidence, Jack plays well and with confidence.

I would be a little concerned if he were the only realistic option to partner Gary Mac, but Buchanan sounds like more than decent competition, and I suspect JR will look to bring in another central or utility defender.

We've let Gordon go, and don't have Davis, so are effectively down a centre half. I can't see us starting the season in that position. Indeed, my guess is that this position will be the priority.

All that said, I think Baird will do well this season.

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

Jack was very strong in the last half dozen or so games of the season. When Saints play well, and with confidence, Jack plays well and with confidence.

I would be a little concerned if he were the only realistic option to partner Gary Mac, but Buchanan sounds like more than decent competition, and I suspect JR will look to bring in another central or utility defender.

We've let Gordon go, and don't have Davis, so are effectively down a centre half. I can't see us starting the season in that position. Indeed, my guess is that this position will be the priority.

All that said, I think Baird will do well this season.

Don't know how anyone else feels, but I'm going into this season riding on a wave of new-found enthusiasm and feelgood factor. New signings, probably 2,700ish ST holders, freshly cut grass and the smell of Bovril in my nostrils. An all-Saints West Stand, two lavvies.... nothing, and I mean nothing, is going to stop me feeling upbeat and chipper.... for now. :D

41 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I said to Mrs Poz right after the 1-1 Hibs game at Easter Road - see if that cnut Ross takes us into next season without O'Brien, Davis, Mallan and Loy, that's it. That's me done. Finished. ST card cut in two and posted off in a jiffy bag with a big jobby (jobbie, if you're a veggie weirdo from the other side of the Clyde...) marked for Gordon Scott's attention.

Fcuk off Ross. Take Scott and Fitzpatrick with you. :angry:

Fcuking Booooooooo!

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Don't know how anyone else feels, but I'm going into this season riding on a wave of new-found enthusiasm and feelgood factor. New signings, probably 2,700ish ST holders, freshly cut grass and the smell of Bovril in my nostrils. An all-Saints West Stand, two lavvies.... nothing, and I mean nothing, is going to stop me feeling upbeat and chipper.... for now. :D

And Shull gets it for post building. :lol: