Lost Our Spine - Worrying Sign??

I suspect you will be disappointed
I have also never understood why folk are so keen on "experienced" arrivals".
Langfield. Webster, Quinn and Clarkson were "experienced" arrivals
I would be happy with "good arrivals"

Good experienced arrivals like McGinn and Loy would be great on the other hand.

8 hours ago, YardleyBoom said:

We have lost the below:

O'Brien

Davis

Mallan

Loy

Trying to earn promotion from this league is hard enough but to try and do it without these 4 guys will be tough. The replacements are:

Samson

Buchanan

Kirkpatrick/Magennis

Reilly

Time will tell if these guys can fill their boots but I would say at least 3 out of the 4 of last years spine were better players.

Worst post of the season.17/18.

Maybe not an aitomatic start but he looks fit and trim in the training pics Sonny. Got goals in him at this level I think -hope -pray! 

John spends his days training. He lives just next to a gym that I've been to with the football team I used to play/train with and he's good pals with the guy that runs it. He's a total machine. He's been in and taken us through a few sessions and really works you.

Him and Reilly are good options to have though it wouldn't surprise me if Jack wanted someone else. If Sutton is with us this season I can guarantee he will score one or two really important goals, he has done every season he's been with us.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I've seen about half a dozen folk saying there are another three players to come in.

Where has this come from? I know Jack Ross has said he's still looking at options but has he confirmed he wants three more in?

He said last week "We are still a couple short , we have still to decide if we're putting Flanagan and Whyte out on loan , if we do we'd be looking at four coming in" !

6 hours ago, billyg said:

He said last week "We are still a couple short , we have still to decide if we're putting Flanagan and Whyte out on loan , if we do we'd be looking at four coming in" !

Hearing Magennis may have ligament damage, need a midfielder if the scan results are as bad as they think. 

33 minutes ago, davidg said:

Hearing Magennis may have ligament damage, need a midfielder if the scan results are as bad as they think. 

That's a real loss if true . Dirty Dundee basturds .

15 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I said to Mrs Poz right after the 1-1 Hibs game at Easter Road - see if that cnut Ross takes us into next season without O'Brien, Davis, Mallan and Loy, that's it. That's me done. Finished. ST card cut in two and posted off in a jiffy bag with a big jobby (jobbie, if you're a veggie weirdo from the other side of the Clyde...) marked for Gordon Scott's attention.

Fcuk off Ross. Take Scott and Fitzpatrick with you. :angry:

Fcuking Booooooooo!

I must say I find these type of posts utterly bizarre, and I knew as soon as I read the original post that soon enough someone would be along to chastise a St Mirren supporter for debating the merits of the St Mirren squad on a St Mirren supporters discussion forum.

In my opinion, there is plenty to be concerned about if we are expecting this squad to win the league (and that must be the target a St Mirren team in the Championship are set).  Others appear to have more faith in the new signings.  Fair enough.  I personally have concerns over Baird / Buchanan at CB and just don't see where the goals are going to come from at present.  We can debate it.  IT IS THE f**kING POINT OF HAVING A FORUM! :)

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

I must say I find these type of posts utterly bizarre, and I knew as soon as I read the original post that soon enough someone would be along to chastise a St Mirren supporter for debating the merits of the St Mirren squad on a St Mirren supporters discussion forum.

In my opinion, there is plenty to be concerned about if we are expecting this squad to win the league (and that must be the target a St Mirren team in the Championship are set).  Others appear to have more faith in the new signings.  Fair enough.  I personally have concerns over Baird / Buchanan at CB and just don't see where the goals are going to come from at present.  We can debate it.  IT IS THE f**kING POINT OF HAVING A FORUM! :)

We are debating it though. I am taking an opposite view to one that says 'the spine' of our team was those four players, and they have been replaced by another four players, three of whom the poster deemed inferior. I also hugely disagree with their assertion that this league is difficult enough to win, but without O'Brien, Davis, Loy and Mallan? Now, with all due respect to those four players, Mallan especially, I believe it was OTT to claim in any way, shape or form, that St Mirren have had the spine ripped out of the team.

In short, I think the post was a pile of pish.

If only I'd just said that. :)

Just now, pozbaird said:

We are debating it though. I am taking an opposite view to one that says 'the spine' of our team was those four players, and they have been replaced by another four players, three of whom the poster deemed inferior. I also hugely disagree with their assertion that this league is difficult enough to win, but without O'Brien, Davis, Loy and Mallan? Now, with all due respect to those four players, Mallan especially, I believe it was OTT to claim in any way, shape or form, that St Mirren have had the spine ripped out of the team.

In short, I think the post was a pile of pish.

If only I'd just said that. :)

The OP is being a tad melodramatic but its a debate worth having.

Mallan was involved in nearly every single goal in our run in, either scoring it or assisting.  John Sutton is presumably going to be used as a sub, as he doesn't quite fit the speedy wee bastard template of all the recent and new signings.  We really do need a goal scoring central midfielder and a proven striker (other than JS).  Do we have them at the moment?  I don't think so.  Hopefully Kirkpatrick and Reilly prove me wrong but a couple of Charlie Adam & Stevie Thompson style signings would make me feel happier.

16 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I said to Mrs Poz right after the 1-1 Hibs game at Easter Road - see if that cnut Ross takes us into next season without O'Brien, Davis, Mallan and Loy, that's it. That's me done. Finished. ST card cut in two and posted off in a jiffy bag with a big jobby (jobbie, if you're a veggie weirdo from the other side of the Clyde...) marked for Gordon Scott's attention.

Fcuk off Ross. Take Scott and Fitzpatrick with you. :angry:

Fcuking Booooooooo!

In the interests of forum harmony, I feel that we shut put the jobbie/jobby debate to bed - not literally, as that would be unpleasant.

It is JOBBIE. As in lassie, laddie, and, yes....BUDDIE!

Lassy, laddy, Buddy? Naw! Get it now?

What could possibly be clearer?

No thanks required, I regard this as a public service.

ETA - my missus has just told me that hates the word jobbie. I thought I would reinforce this by referring to a moist jobbie (double whammy!).

Just asked my 23yr old for her thoughts on the spelling. Definitely with an 'ie'. Very well raised, that lassie. Pwoud, vewy pwoud:wub:

Edited by Drew

Davis hardly kiked a ball for us yet some hail him as the 2nd coming. Gary Mac is the best defender at the club possibly even the best in the division. Some keich spouted about Davis. Buchanan will do well for us too. O'Brien was a reasonable keeper - nothing more and Loy as a "spine" player ???

Gary Mac and McGinn were the spine imo and both are still here.  Seems some fans are losing theirs more than the team !

I suspect you will be disappointed
I have also never understood why folk are so keen on "experienced" arrivals".
Langfield. Webster, Quinn and Clarkson were "experienced" arrivals
I would be happy with "good arrivals"

Could also say that McKenzie, McGinn, Davies and Loy were experienced arrivals.

You want inexperienced arrivals?

Every signing is a gamble and none is guaranteed to work out. Experienced players are just less of a gamble.

I expect three signings in the Davies/McGinn/Loy mould by the end of August. An experienced defender, midfielder and forward. Anything less and we're in for another long season IMO.

12 minutes ago, Yflab said:

It was a 50/50 ball on that occasion. He went off very soon afterwards. Don't think it's fair to apportion blame on the Dundee player.

It was a "friendly" the DFC player could have pulled out of the tackle no problem , it was a definite attempt to injure !

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Davis hardly kiked a ball for us yet some hail him as the 2nd coming. Gary Mac is the best defender at the club possibly even the best in the division. Some keich spouted about Davis. Buchanan will do well for us too. O'Brien was a reasonable keeper - nothing more and Loy as a "spine" player ???

Gary Mac and McGinn were the spine imo and both are still here.  Seems some fans are losing theirs more than the team !

Agreed - Davis missed more games than he played for us, Baird stepped in and was excellent. 

Loy didn't really turn up until the last 5 or 6 games IMO.

O'Brien, a lot of the fans really took to and he seemed to have the club very close to his heart when he left, at times he was decent but for me he was a bombscare more often than not. 

Mallan, yes, a big miss, but that's up to Magennis (might be injured?) and Kirkpatrick etc. to step up. I have faith in Jack Ross.

At the end of the season, things were going great guns and then we lose our top player (who admittedly had been rubbish until about February). Whether we can carry on the momentum after the break and with some different players remains to be seen. I am surprised that Sutton has been allowed to stay, I am not a fan of his and his goal tally for a centre forward is abysmal. Loy was decent but only towards the end of the season and a centre is urgently required. I am led to believe that a lot of money was received in exchange for Mallan so this should be used to buy a striker. I`d find it hard to believe we can win the league - not ruling it out the way we were playing in April - but even getting into the top 4 still gives a decent chance of promotion. This should be the main aim. In order to achieve this we definitely need a goalscorer.