Sport Scientist

woiiftm

4 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

The SMISA money is there to be spent. Whether that be on community, club or fan experience is subject to debate. For me betterment of our club comes first. 

Should not just spend money willy nilly. Save it for a few years. 

41 minutes ago, shull said:

Wow be careful Shull! I don't want to have to agree with you on something!

I can see the merit on spending it on something like this but I also think there should be an option to save the money for down the line. Would have to look at the different proposals to make up my mind and the opinion of the club. 

Excuse my stupidity, but what does a Sports Scientist do? Is it a consultant who provides a service to St Mirren and other football clubs / organisations? Is it part time? Full time? On a normal day, a Sports Scientist attending Ralston - what do they actually do?

Edit: How were Fitzpatrick, Stark, McGarvey & Co so goddam' good when they probably only saw a guy with a cold sponge and ran around some cones with a ball midweek?

Edited by pozbaird

9 hours ago, shull said:

It's not affordable if we have to get money from SMISA. 

if, with the discretionary 3 monthly spend pot combined with club money makes it affordable and The SMISA membership vote to spunk the money on it, then it's affordable (however we dress it up)

7 hours ago, shull said:

I agree but if the SMISA membership vote to spend, that is the power of democracy

1 hour ago, Graeme Aitken said:

if, with the discretionary 3 monthly spend pot combined with club money makes it affordable and The SMISA membership vote to spunk the money on it, then it's affordable (however we dress it up)

I agree but if the SMISA membership vote to spend, that is the power of democracy

Its the power of a vote heavily weighted towards the club's shopping list, rather than options put forward by those ponying up the money!

20 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Its the power of a vote heavily weighted towards the club's shopping list, rather than options put forward by those ponying up the money!

If the postings on here are representative of the SMISA membership, there appears not that many who are bothered either way.

I believe SMISA should be more transparent with these matters and communication from SMISA should be better. Unfortunately, Tsu is the only 1 engaging on here & that is a pity as at times, it looks like he gets hung out to dry a bit when healthy discussion results.

I completely agree with you, the managing of the 3 monthly spend must be improved and I think, there should be at least 4 or 5 options on every vote. Along the lines of

• option 1 - Support SMFC funding to employ a Sports Scientist (suggested by The Club)
  • option 2 - install TV's by the pie stalls & run a live feed from ST Mirren TV on match days (Suggested by SMISA Member) 
  • option 3 - install rail seats for Safe Standing in Stand X Section Z (Suggested by SMISA Member)I)
  • option 4 - Bank the Pot & put towards a future spend
  • option 5 - Bank the Pot & kept for the SMISA in control rainy day fund

Unfortunately, the members can only vote on what is presented to them.

If the option (like the transfer window vote of Transfer kitty or don't spend) is Sports Scientist or Save, then that is not acceptable but I really believe, not enough folk are bothered. Me, I just want to see the agreed process adhered to. Vote results, I'll accept, that is what the majority voted for, even if I didn't.

5 minutes ago, Graeme Aitken said:

If the postings on here are representative of the SMISA membership, there appears not that many who are bothered either way.

I believe SMISA should be more transparent with these matters and communication from SMISA should be better. Unfortunately, Tsu is the only 1 engaging on here & that is a pity as at times, it looks like he gets hung out to dry a bit when healthy discussion results.

I completely agree with you, the managing of the 3 monthly spend must be improved and I think, there should be at least 4 or 5 options on every vote. Along the lines of

• option 1 - Support SMFC funding to employ a Sports Scientist (suggested by The Club)
  • option 2 - install TV's by the pie stalls & run a live feed from ST Mirren TV on match days (Suggested by SMISA Member) 
  • option 3 - install rail seats for Safe Standing in Stand X Section Z (Suggested by SMISA Member)I)

If the option (like the transfer window vote of Transfer kitty or don't spend) is Sports Scientist or Save, then that is not acceptable but I really believe, not enough folk are bothered. Me, I just want to see the agreed process adhered to. Vote results, I'll accept, that is what the majority voted for, even if I didn't.

How about an option to open the North Stand for away supports. Even half of it.

8 hours ago, Graeme Aitken said:

Ok lets turn it on its head. Looking at what the 3 monthly spend has been allocated to so far, it is evident that the club could have either paid for those items in full, or did not require part funding by Smisa.

so why not drop subscriptions to £10 and keep the eyes on the prize and stop paying for Gordon's shopping list?

https://sportsj10.imascientist.org.uk/2010/06/what-is-a-sports-scientist-and-what-do-they-do

Doesn't say anything about an increased awareness of how to break down stuffy, well organised diddy teams or how the idea is to pass the ball to another guy wearing black and white stripes.

Edited by pozbaird

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

https://sportsj10.imascientist.org.uk/2010/06/what-is-a-sports-scientist-and-what-do-they-do

Doesn't say anything about an increased awareness of how to break down stuffy, well organised diddy teams or how the idea is to pass the ball to another guy wearing black and white stripes.

Waste of fecking money then? :rolleyes:

It isnae oaky is it?

C'mon fellas lets stop dicking around with a geeky Sports Scientist and adopt this tried and tested avenue to fulfilment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/269695.stm

i remember when Hoddle brought her in to work with the England squad, he started her on the ones more likely to be open to her 'powers' then it was Ray Parlour's turn to sit in the chair..

Eileen: "now then, what can I do for you?"

Parlour: "short back and sides please"

11 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

As I've said before, it's not us and them. I don't see why people can't see that the people running our club will have the best interest of St Mirren football club at heart. 

10 hours ago, Graeme Aitken said:

I agree with the principle of choice but to me five options would dilute the outcome. You could arguably get something passing with only 21% of fans backing in the above scenario. Club has said as much in previous votes. Bank it is always an option, it doesn't have to be on the vote. A no vote is a vote to bank the money. Any fan that needs this called out separately has to have a serious word with themselves and you would have to question their intellect. :lol: 

Just now, bazil85 said:

That's nothing to do with SMISA funds. That's a club decision 

You'll need to explain this to me then. Another poster listed some options that the SMiSA 'float' could be voted on. I then suggested another option to be voted on could be using the money to pay, or help pay, the costs involved in stewarding / catering / opening the North Stand for away fans, as an alternative to shoving them into an unsegregated South Stand.

I don't get your point here. Happy to hear an explanation.

Just now, pozbaird said:

You'll need to explain this to me then. Another poster listed some options that the SMiSA 'float' could be voted on. I then suggested another option to be voted on could be using the money to pay, or help pay, the costs involved in stewarding / catering / opening the North Stand for away fans, as an alternative to shoving them into an unsegregated South Stand.

I don't get your point here. Happy to hear an explanation.

Sure my understanding is it would only really come into effect in cup games and maybe against Dumbarton or Brechin who will take small supports and may be put in the family stand. I don't see any issue with cornering off a bit of that stand because it's never close to full (didn't agree with the mixing they did on Tuesday) So IMO it's a complete unnecessary waste of money for such a small impact when we could use it on other aspects of the club. Not something the SMISA money should impact, the placing of fans should remain a club decision. Because we pay £2 a month into a fund doesn't mean we should have the right to question how they police the ground. 

If we want three stands with all St Mirren fans in it then we need to increase attendance numbers. We can't moan about it if that stand is only having a couple hundred per games. Segregating a stand happens in lots of football stadiums, don't see the big deal. 

People also saying 'There's only one toilet and one pie stall' well you'd have the same issue if the stand was filled with more St Mirren fans so what's the big deal? I also don't imagine there would be much trouble with the team fans going in there (they should be made aware it's a no swearing stand though) 

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Ok lets turn it on its head. Looking at what the 3 monthly spend has been allocated to so far, it is evident that the club could have either paid for those items in full, or did not require part funding by Smisa.

so why not drop subscriptions to £10 and keep the eyes on the prize and stop paying for Gordon's shopping list?

Why would we reduce it when we have so many people willing to pay £12/ £25? That makes no sense. I'd see your point more if we just said the full money would go to the buyout. 

20 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Excuse my stupidity, but what does a Sports Scientist do? Is it a consultant who provides a service to St Mirren and other football clubs / organisations? Is it part time? Full time? On a normal day, a Sports Scientist attending Ralston - what do they actually do?

Edit: How were Fitzpatrick, Stark, McGarvey & Co so goddam' good when they probably only saw a guy with a cold sponge and ran around some cones with a ball midweek?

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/sports-scientist#

The answer to your final question is that they were inherently good players but would probably have been even better players with the help of a sports scientist.

20 minutes ago, smcc said:

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/sports-scientist#

The answer to your final question is that they were inherently good players but would probably have been even better players with the help of a sports scientist.

Probably. Glad you said probably. The likes of Fitzpatrick, Stark and McGarvey would (probably) have been better players had they been able to train each day at facilities such as Ralston.... and not jump into a Transit van to dodge dug shite at a field next to Babcocks... in fact, and this is merely my opinion here, they would have benefitted from such a thing about a hundred, hell, a thousand times more than they would have from a sports scientist turning up in 1976/7 and telling them to lay off the drink and stop eating fry ups. Maybe the sports scientist would have told them to stop painting and doing joinery work on our main stand and go eat some cous-cous.

I'm open to the counter-argument. Sports Scientist v half decent facilities for Sir Fitzy & Co. Let's have a vote* :D

* vote not open to any visiting sports scientists.

Edited by pozbaird