Sport Scientist

woiiftm

At the start of my professional association with the club these players were still part time but trained mainly at the Kibble. I have absolutely no doubt that they would have benefited from the assessment and advice of a sports scientist. Sports scientists were rarae aves in those days! :whistle

3 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Sure my understanding is it would only really come into effect in cup games and maybe against Dumbarton or Brechin who will take small supports and may be put in the family stand. I don't see any issue with cornering off a bit of that stand because it's never close to full (didn't agree with the mixing they did on Tuesday) So IMO it's a complete unnecessary waste of money for such a small impact when we could use it on other aspects of the club. Not something the SMISA money should impact, the placing of fans should remain a club decision. Because we pay £2 a month into a fund doesn't mean we should have the right to question how they police the ground. 

If we want three stands with all St Mirren fans in it then we need to increase attendance numbers. We can't moan about it if that stand is only having a couple hundred per games. Segregating a stand happens in lots of football stadiums, don't see the big deal. 

People also saying 'There's only one toilet and one pie stall' well you'd have the same issue if the stand was filled with more St Mirren fans so what's the big deal? I also don't imagine there would be much trouble with the team fans going in there (they should be made aware it's a no swearing stand though) 

There are so many aspects of this post I don't get that I'm happy to simply say it must be me being a diddy and completely mis-judging the situation in our four stands, and the way the club go about it. For example, Isn't there a reason the North Stand was designated the away stand - in regard to the direction the majority of home and away fans approach our ground? Wasn't it designed to avert a lot of opposing fans mixing pre and post match? Would the BoD shove Airdrie fans into the South Stand? Are the BoD planning to shift any more home fans from their ST seats in the South Stand? 

Why not ask SMiSA members if they'd like their £2 a month to open the North Stand for visiting supports? If SMiSA members can be asked to fund the appointment of a sports scientist, why couldn't they have this option put to them? They were asked to consider spending money on decorative HoF panels... frankly, I don't see why many suggestions should be 'no go' areas to at least ask SMiSA members the question.

8 minutes ago, smcc said:

At the start of my professional association with the club these players were still part time but trained mainly at the Kibble. I have absolutely no doubt that they would have benefited from the assessment and advice of a sports scientist. Sports scientists were rarae aves in those days! :whistle

Pah! Filling their heads with gobble-de-gook and nonsense. I played for my BB team on a blaes pitch and regularly got a Mitre Mouldmaster square in the haw-maws, and lost a layer of skin in the slide tackle.... wasn't a sports scientist I needed, it was an A&E Department. :lol:

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

There are so many aspects of this post I don't get that I'm happy to simply say it must be me being a diddy and completely mis-judging the situation in our four stands, and the way the club go about it. For example, Isn't there a reason the North Stand was designated the away stand - in regard to the direction the majority of home and away fans approach our ground? Wasn't it designed to avert a lot of opposing fans mixing pre and post match? Would the BoD shove Airdrie fans into the South Stand? Are the BoD planning to shift any more home fans from their ST seats in the South Stand? 

Why not ask SMiSA members if they'd like their £2 a month to open the North Stand for visiting supports? If SMiSA members can be asked to fund the appointment of a sports scientist, why couldn't they have this option put to them? They were asked to consider spending money on decorative HoF panels... frankly, I don't see why many suggestions should be 'no go' areas to at least ask SMiSA members the question.

If this was the reason I can say that it has never worked. I have had a space in the red car park behind the North Stand since we moved to Greenhill Road and I can assure you that the opposing fans regularly meet each other in this area before and after games.

3 minutes ago, smcc said:

If this was the reason I can say that it has never worked. I have had a space in the red car park behind the North Stand since we moved to Greenhill Road and I can assure you that the opposing fans regularly meet each other in this area before and after games.

No stadium layout will ever avoid opposing fans mixing, but in general terms, didn't the police deem that visiting supporters buses and fans coming by car to our place would, in great part, be coming from the airport direction, while home fans, again generally speaking, would be approaching from the town centre direction?

Edited by pozbaird

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Pah! Filling their heads with gobble-de-gook and nonsense. I played for my BB team on a blaes pitch and regularly got a Mitre Mouldmaster square in the haw-maws, and lost a layer of skin in the slide tackle.... wasn't a sports scientist I needed, it was an A&E Department. :lol:

A&E for a skint knee? What a woose! A good nail brush got rid of the grit.

2 minutes ago, smcc said:

A&E for a skint knee? What a woose! A good nail brush got rid of the grit.

Skint knee and aching haw-maws. Never under-estimate the damage a rock-hard Mitre Mouldmaster could do on a freezing cold Scottish winter day, on a blaes pitch, booted at speed by the big bruising centre forward in the visiting team. :P

Edited by pozbaird

Just now, pozbaird said:

No stadium layout will ever avoid opposing fans mixing, but in general terms, didn't the police deem that visiting supporters buses and fans coming by car to our place would, in great part, be coming from the airport direction, while home fans, again generally speaking, would be approaching from the town centre direction?

All very well in theory but in practice in doesn't work. Any home fans parking in the main car park and going to the main stand walk behind the North Stand.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Skint knee and aching haw-maws. Never under-estimate the damage a rock-hard Mitre Mouldmaster could do on a freezing cold Scottish winter day, on a blaes pitch, booted at speed by the big bruising centre forward in the visiting team. :P

Mitre Mouldmaster? You haven't lived. In my day it was brown leather balls with laces which coiuld inflict much more damage.

50 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I'm not saying it's a no go area, as in ABSOLUTELY THIS SHOULD NOT BE DISCUSSED. I just think it's a bit of a persnickety point. Spending money on something we don't really need to that won't improve the club and arguably won't really have a massive impact on anyone's match experience. I know you'll argue fans in the family end but I don't see an issue if they did it on the rare occasions this would happen and segregate the away fans. I also have faith that the club wouldn't do this where it would heighten the safety concerns to a risky level. Dumbarton, Livi fans are not going to be a great deal of trouble but fans like Airdrie with a history of being idiots, I don't think they'd do it. 

On a separate point as well, I wouldn't be happy with the club spending avoidable money on something like this, SMISA or St mirren money. i think fans need to be a wee bit more focused on what we can do to improve our club, than what can we spend money on to make the fitbaw on a Saturday a wee bit nicer. What's really important? 

52 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

How can something round hit you square in the baws? :wacko:

6 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I'm not saying it's a no go area, as in ABSOLUTELY THIS SHOULD NOT BE DISCUSSED. I just think it's a bit of a persnickety point. Spending money on something we don't really need to that won't improve the club and arguably won't really have a massive impact on anyone's match experience. I know you'll argue fans in the family end but I don't see an issue if they did it on the rare occasions this would happen and segregate the away fans. I also have faith that the club wouldn't do this where it would heighten the safety concerns to a risky level. Dumbarton, Livi fans are not going to be a great deal of trouble but fans like Airdrie with a history of being idiots, I don't think they'd do it. 

On a separate point as well, I wouldn't be happy with the club spending avoidable money on something like this, SMISA or St mirren money. i think fans need to be a wee bit more focused on what we can do to improve our club, than what can we spend money on to make the fitbaw on a Saturday a wee bit nicer. What's really important? 

Do you sit in the family stand ? Did you experience the atmosphere and comments on Tuesday caused by your "not great deal of trouble" Livi fans ?

If so I'll accept but respectfully disagree with your comments. If not, don't tell us what is and isn't ok to experience.

6 minutes ago, woiiftm said:

Do you sit in the family stand ? Did you experience the atmosphere and comments on Tuesday caused by your "not great deal of trouble" Livi fans ?

If so I'll accept but respectfully disagree with your comments. If not, don't tell us what is and isn't ok to experience.

I already said above I don't agree with the mixing of fans and feel the club could of done more to make them aware they were in a family stand. Nothing to stop segregating off an area of this stand for the small amount of traveling fans. What was there 105 or something like that? Would you rather the club experienced all the additional costs in opening up a 2,000+ capacity stand for 100 people? I'm sorry but my priorities are a bit different.

I don't sit in the family stand but I did for the first few years after we moved to the stadium and I can honestly say it wouldn't bother me one bit. Anything that financially benefits my football team without a massive impact on fans is okay with me.  

10 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I already said above I don't agree with the mixing of fans and feel the club could of done more to make them aware they were in a family stand. Nothing to stop segregating off an area of this stand for the small amount of traveling fans. What was there 105 or something like that? Would you rather the club experienced all the additional costs in opening up a 2,000+ capacity stand for 100 people? I'm sorry but my priorities are a bit different.

I don't sit in the family stand but I did for the first few years after we moved to the stadium and I can honestly say it wouldn't bother me one bit. Anything that financially benefits my football team without a massive impact on fans is okay with me.  

I think a lot of us are now wondering just what is okay with you. You have a go at other posters for criticising pretty much anything, and your attitude seems to be 'as long as I'm alright Jack'. Obtuse posts, difficult to understand responses... I'm out.

I think a lot of us are now wondering just what is okay with you. You have a go at other posters for criticising pretty much anything, and your attitude seems to be 'as long as I'm alright Jack'. Obtuse posts, difficult to understand responses... I'm out.

He might not hear you...
He is still bent double taking it up the... ... ... ...

To house away fans in the family stand would either require no segregation... Or moving season ticket holders. In either case, it all but guarantees the things that are designed to attract families to our family friendly club are simply discarded.

How many lost supporters would mr bent double accept losing as inevitable collatoral damage for the sake of saving the club a few rubles?

Small minded in the extreme.

17 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

He might not hear you...
He is still bent double taking it up the... ... ... ...

To house away fans in the family stand would either require no segregation... Or moving season ticket holders. In either case, it all but guarantees the things that are designed to attract families to our family friendly club are simply discarded.

How many lost supporters would mr bent double accept losing as inevitable collatoral damage for the sake of saving the club a few rubles?

Small minded in the extreme.

Can I have a go at the missing word? :rolleyes:

Simple Mind Baz cannot see that any valid criticism is a good thing, he's so busy defending "his football team" he can't see their are some issues.

17 hours ago, pozbaird said:

How about an option to open the North Stand for away supports. Even half of it.

Sounds like a great idea.  Can't be much for say 4 stewards and electrics for 4 hrs. and it would only be for a small number of games.  One £8000 spend might cover the season.

6 hours ago, bazil85 said:

As I've said before, it's not us and them. I don't see why people can't see that the people running our club will have the best interest of St Mirren football club at heart. 

Only you seem to be saying 'us and them' mate.

That's nothing to do with SMISA funds. That's a club decision 

No understanding...

I agree with the principle of choice but to me five options would dilute the outcome. You could arguably get something passing with only 21% of fans backing in the above scenario. Club has said as much in previous votes. Bank it is always an option, it doesn't have to be on the vote. A no vote is a vote to bank the money. Any fan that needs this called out separately has to have a serious word with themselves and you would have to question their intellect. :lol: 

No it is not.   Your last sentence would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.  Debating with you is tedious as you are bereft of understanding.  Shoots/Shuts people down. Probably what you wanted.  I'm out too (debating with you).

2 hours ago, smcc said:

Nice looking chicks were they?  

Must have been where Macca got his catchphrase :lol:

1 hour ago, Vambo57 said:

Sounds like a great idea.  Can't be much for say 4 stewards and electrics for 4 hrs. and it would only be for a small number of games.  One £8000 spend might cover the season.

Only you seem to be saying 'us and them' mate.

No understanding...

No it is not.   Your last sentence would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.  Debating with you is tedious as you are bereft of understanding.  Shoots/Shuts people down. Probably what you wanted.  I'm out too (debating with you).

Nice looking chicks were they?  

Must have been where Macca got his catchphrase :lol:

I was going to mention that, I thought Rarae Aves was one of the hapless Pedro's signings at the Sevco AllStars.

11 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Ok lets turn it on its head. Looking at what the 3 monthly spend has been allocated to so far, it is evident that the club could have either paid for those items in full, or did not require part funding by Smisa.

so why not drop subscriptions to £10 and keep the eyes on the prize and stop paying for Gordon's shopping list?

were you not a member of the SMISA board that came up with the £2 discretionary pot to be voted on for spending? Objecting to it now, why?

Did you & the SMISA board not discuss where the suggestions for the votes were going to come from?

I'd suggest SMISA members send in their suggestions if they are not happy with the club making requests to be put to the vote. Provide SMISA with options.

My only concern is that the agreed process is followed. In the absence of viable members suggestions, it will be "Gordons shopping list" that gets presented unless you are suggesting, members suggestions are getting sidelined/ignored for Club requests to be railroaded through.

My eyes are on the prize, I am a clear advocate of saving the £2 pot for SMISA to have a fund for when they do have ownership of the club. That is when the real bickering will start, when all those that fancy themselves as Chairman or other position on the Board start jockeying for position. That might even have started now for all I know.