St Mirren V Livingston - Top of The Group Table Clash

St.Ricky

It's still pre season. QOS lost at home to East Kilbride tonight. I am only disgusted that we have been beaten at home yet again by those cheats from West Lothian. A couple of signings needed including a striker asap

It's not pre season at all. This was an important game for the club tonight. We get two shots at cup glory a season and that's one of them all but gone already.

It's not pre season at all. This was an important game for the club tonight. We get two shots at cup glory a season and that's one of them all but gone already.

If you want to be pedantic TC, three cups. However, realistically we are not likely to progress beyond the groups anyway. I imagine that Jack Ross and many other managers use this trophy as glorified pre season. It is crystal clear that a couple of signings are needed, plus the injured players back as soon as possible. Small squad and found out by a very poor Livi side. It is traditional that St Mirren teams, much better than this one, struggle against poor opposition.

5 minutes ago, TopCat said:

You realistically think that we have a chance of either cups with the season we"ve just had,.....or the task facing us in the league???

Very poor indeed - Jack and James will have a lot of questions to answer over this summer's recruitment policy if there is not a significant improvement.

Players like Buchanan, Stewart and Reilly should be nowhere near the St Mirren first team.

Reminded me of struggling to break down Dumbarton last season.  We need some options up front and some goal threat from midfield.

2 minutes ago, TopCat said:

The season for me, starts with the league opener against Falkirk. The fcuktards that run Scottish football have made (IMHO), the League Cup 'group stages' become half-arsed pre-season friendlies of sorts. The players are still short of match fitness, transfers and new signings are still to arrive, it's feckin' July and already, players are playing Saturday-Midweek-Saturday.

The authorities, in their wisdom, are telling us this new format is exciting. Is it fcuk. 

I went and played golf in 25 degrees of glorious sunshine late this afternoon, and sat afterwards with an ice cold beer in the sun. No way was I paying good money to watch this group stage mid-July shitfest.

Fcukers who run Scottish football need a boot in the stones.

It's not all bad. I got an ice pole at the football for the first time ever.[emoji106]

I thought we were poor up front tonight and felt the urgency and decisive play of last season just wasn't evident tonight. Reilly had a poor game and looked like he was well off the pace throughout the whole match and when given opportunities with the ball he always made the wrong decision. He will improve given time.

When you lose Mallan, McGennis and Loy from a side it's going to be hard to replicate the form and intensity of the last 10 or so games of last season.

I have faith in Ross and his management team and he will improve the side with further signings and further training sessions.

Have faith buddies we will get better. Rome wasn't built in a day.

3 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Players like Buchanan, Stewart and Reilly should be nowhere near the St Mirren first team.

Agreed. Stewart will improve , but Buchanan looks as if he's not up to it , and Reilly's confidence looks shot !

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The season for me, starts with the league opener against Falkirk. The fcuktards that run Scottish football have made (IMHO), the League Cup 'group stages' become half-arsed pre-season friendlies of sorts. The players are still short of match fitness, transfers and new signings are still to arrive, it's feckin' July and already, players are playing Saturday-Midweek-Saturday.

The authorities, in their wisdom, are telling us this new format is exciting. Is it fcuk. 

I went and played golf in 25 degrees of glorious sunshine late this afternoon, and sat afterwards with an ice cold beer in the sun. No way was I paying good money to watch this group stage mid-July shitfest.

Fcukers who run Scottish football need a boot in the stones.

That's all well and good Poz but that performance was nothing short of shocking, Insipid, gutless and devoid of ideas. If we play twice as good against Falkirk I'd hazard we'd still be in trouble. I honestly spent a lot of the game counting the players as I was sure we were two men short. Couldn't pass. Couldn't keepm the ball. Didn't look up to see what was available and their keeper could have sat in the stand watching the game.

17 minutes ago, farmer john said:

it's a wake up call. We will kick on from here. Beat Thistle on Saturday and we are on track to win the group again. Yes.

No , Livvy will beat Stranraer and Airdrie and win the group .

If you want to be pedantic TC, three cups. However, realistically we are not likely to progress beyond the groups anyway. I imagine that Jack Ross and many other managers use this trophy as glorified pre season. It is crystal clear that a couple of signings are needed, plus the injured players back as soon as possible. Small squad and found out by a very poor Livi side. It is traditional that St Mirren teams, much better than this one, struggle against poor opposition.

Winning the challenge cup =/= cup glory. There's two national cup competitions a season, they're important to the football club for several reasons.

This is JR's first summer transfer window as a full time manager, and his lack of experience is showing. Let's hope he learns from his mistakes and doesn't enter the league cup with such a woefully undercooked squad again.

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

That's all well and good Poz but that performance was nothing short of shocking, Insipid, gutless and devoid of ideas. If we play twice as good against Falkirk I'd hazard we'd still be in trouble. I honestly spent a lot of the game counting the players as I was sure we were two men short. Couldn't pass. Couldn't keepm the ball. Didn't look up to see what was available and their keeper could have sat in the stand watching the game.

I'll be there for the Falkirk game, my first game this season. I'm hoping for a good season, and will wait until I see us in the flesh, on league business, before forming an opinion on how we are looking. Sad to say, as much as I rejoiced in 2013, I treated tonight's fixture the same way I treated the games in the Highlands - as pre-season games.

Poor stuff. Would have switched Reilly and Stewart round as the latter doesn't look like a wide player. Smith also pretty poor, should have buried his chance in the second half.

O'Keefe and Kirkpatrick looked decent when they came on but we could have played all night without scoring. Enjoyed the excitement when we got some late corners as the fans had obviously forgotten how shit we'd been at them up until that point.

Big improvement needed.

Livi played the game very well, they are a strong physical team who gave us no time on the ball. The worrying thing is we didn't know how to adapt. 

Also thought Irvine and Stelios were poor tonight, but with Eckersley injured we have no other options there. I'd be tempted to look for additional cover or competition there.

Positives were O'Keefe and Kirkpatrick, who looked decent when they came on. It might be helpful if the other new players weren't written off as duds after 90 minutes? Three of them scored on Saturday and those who were there were generally impressed. Sometimes players have good games, sometimes they have bad games. It happens. No need for bipolar reactions.

Very poor tonight with very little quality in the final 3rd . For all our possession, crosses, corners and shots , we very rarely troubled their keeper if at all . 

A decent striker really has to be our main priority . We can't start the league with what we have .

I've 100% never been in the happy clappy club, but you just need to look at tonight's results in the cup, this is pre season, stuff... elgin 0-1 hearts, Clyde taking 2 off killie etc... jack has the time to get us going from the get go!! And by get go I mean the league! [emoji41][emoji41]

14 hours ago, elvis said:

Bad feeling for tonight. 

Ok - Let me say it - you were right to have a bad feeling about tonight's game.

Lots of the ball but no finish. 

Lots of time wasting, pushing and fouling by Livvy. (Did someone there watch our recent game against Dundee?)