St Mirren V Livingston - Top of The Group Table Clash

St.Ricky

22 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, keep last night in the context it was, a disappointing result and a performance that, according to the majority of those present, was under par.

That's pretty much the size of it. It won't define our season.

Improvement required, of course, but we've been here often enough to know that there is little to be achieved by wringing our hands following one poor performance and result.

Ample time to work on the deficiencies.

Didn't attend last night, so cant comment on our performance, but not surprised if it was as has been widely described on here as 'Jobbie'...

if you ignore the two highland friendlies against pub sides, we have lost to a team in the league above us (no surprise), drawn at home with a team in league below (Goody has got them organised) and saw off a poor Stranraer side (look what Airdrie did to them) in what many including myself commented on as 'more like a pre-season game' as when we moved up a gear there was only going to be one winner.

last night we were up against a side who won their league well, Saturday against Thistle will give a half decent analysis of what our form may be in the League, as will playing an Airdrie side who can play a bit.

The whole season lies ahead, may be time though to check-in with reality.

3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Didn't attend last night, so cant comment on our performance, but not surprised if it was as has been widely described on here as 'Jobbie'...

if you ignore the two highland friendlies against pub sides, we have lost to a team in the league above us (no surprise), drawn at home with a team in league below (Goody has got them organised) and saw off a poor Stranraer side (look what Airdrie did to them) in what many including myself commented on as 'more like a pre-season game' as when we moved up a gear there was only going to be one winner.

last night we were up against a side who won their league well, Saturday against Thistle will give a half decent analysis of what our form may be in the League, as will playing an Airdrie side who can play a bit.

The whole season lies ahead, may be time though to check-in with reality.

I had to check............Airdrie beat them 3-1.......................I was expecting 5 or 6? :blink:

Just now, faraway saint said:

I had to check............Airdrie beat them 3-1.......................I was expecting 5 or 6? :blink:

Highlighting the fact that beating Stranraer is not akin to verging on qualifying for the champions leage group stages. Taking the result in the rounds doesn't show we are displaying title challenging form as yet.

Just now, Lord Pityme said:

Highlighting the fact that beating Stranraer is not akin to verging on qualifying for the champions leage group stages. Taking the result in the rounds doesn't show we are displaying title challenging form as yet.

Ah, I read it that Airdrie had given them a thumping.

I didn't think us beating Stranraer 4-1 was any more, or less, that it was, really a result we should have expected.

Just now, faraway saint said:

Ah, I read it that Airdrie had given them a thumping.

I didn't think us beating Stranraer 4-1 was any more, or less, that it was, really a result we should have expected.

That was what i meant, games against Partick and Airdrie will show if we are looking like challenging or struggling. Doesnt matter if we dont progress in this competition as a draw and win respectively will be more important in building the momentum needed to be a challenger.

Now don't get me wrong, tonight was f**king woeful but "lack of experience", "learns from his mistakes" and "woefully under cooked squad"? That's almost as wrong as the shite I sat through tonight.

He absolutely nailed the last transfer window and probably saved the club from years of lower league purgatory so I would think he knows what he's up to.

What mistakes has he made so far?

How the f**k is the squad "woefully undercooked"? Injuries to two starters (Eckersley and Magennis) as well as Hilton robbed him of three players for tonight. We'll likely only add a couple more to the squad and that will be that in terms of players coming in so what do expect from squad at this stage? There's a month to go until the window shuts and we've probably got around 90% of the squad in place. We can debate the quality of some of those signings if you wish but not the quantity, that's just silly.

You just go looking for opportunities to boot the guy wherever you see them.

Well this is his first summer window as a full time manager. He has no experience of this situation at all. Do you not think that constitutes lack of experience?

It's all well and good to say it's still early in the window and we may go on to have a fantastic second half and bring in several good signings. We certainly need to. That won't change us almost certainly heading out the cup though, that ship sailed last night.

The league cup is important to the club and he needs to get the squad better prepared for it in future. Being the second seed two years in a row and going out two years in a row isn't good enough. This is early season for all clubs, Livingston included. Didn't stop them coming to our ground and beating us, it's not an excuse.

Livi are a poor side and they will be in a relegation battle this season. Unless we make significant additions to the squad between now and the end of August, so will we.

I definitely don't think we'll be struggling this season , but as things stand just now we won't be winning the league either. 

On the plus side , we've still got some influential players to recover from injuries and hopefully a couple of decent signings to come in .

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Poor show? The majority of people, who were there, expressed disappointment on last nights game.

They had paid money to watch, according to them, a half arsed performance.

Is it the end of the world, no, but to write last night off and our possible exit from a cup is equally as wrong.

Who said anything  about exiting the cup ? Oh aye you did.. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

34 minutes ago, Drew said:

That's pretty much the size of it. It won't define our season.

Improvement required, of course, but we've been here often enough to know that there is little to be achieved by wringing our hands following one poor performance and result.

Ample time to work on the deficiencies.

Indeed , even Brendan's super sellick squad got horsed by a bunch of part-timers. .

14 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Well this is his first summer window as a full time manager. He has no experience of this situation at all. Do you not think that constitutes lack of experience?

It's all well and good to say it's still early in the window and we may go on to have a fantastic second half and bring in several good signings. We certainly need to. That won't change us almost certainly heading out the cup though, that ship sailed last night.

The league cup is important to the club and he needs to get the squad better prepared for it in future. Being the second seed two years in a row and going out two years in a row isn't good enough. This is early season for all clubs, Livingston included. Didn't stop them coming to our ground and beating us, it's not an excuse.

Livi are a poor side and they will be in a relegation battle this season. Unless we make significant additions to the squad between now and the end of August, so will we.

Should the above not be part of your famous "Jack Ross must go " thread. .:P

15 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Fair enough but you are ignoring an exceptional January window. Given the correct backing I am sure Jack and James will bring in and develop a cracking team.

10 minutes ago, TopCat said:

So you don't rate any of his signings this pre season ? Smith , McKenzie or Stelios included ? 

So just who is culpable for this latest Greenhell road disaster....
Cheesy, Gilmour, Tesco , Joma, Mallon, St mirren airport parking, ticket office troubles , corners not filled in, hot pie availability, one bog access, 1877 club prices, pundits, Fitzpatrick enthusiasm, the training complex, JDSports changing room wall colour, whining Main stand pensioners, curly club crests.
I'm gonna blame Livingston for turning up, the feckers.

Like I said earlier, injuries robbed us of 4 players actually (I forgot Josh Todd) so the squad was a bit thin last night. The manager has said he's still looking to bring in a couple (one of those is presumably Davis) so there won't be the significant additions you feel we need.

He secured Smith, McKenzie, Eckersley and Stelios early on as well as Samson, Reilly, Stewart x 2, Kirkpatrick and Hilson. He also tried to get Loy back but that didn't come off. Seriously, what do you expect?

We had one poor game and you've got us in a relegation battle without letting new guys settle in or seeing the other teams? That's just daft and you know it.

I assume Thistle are f**ked as well then based on their result against Livvy at the weekend?

1 minute ago, ford prefect said:

It's good to see the forums resident self proclaimed expert has passed judgement on the summer signings and the news is that they're all crap. What a bawbag he is

Who , wee clueless ?

34 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Are they are poor side? They've drawn with Thistle and beaten us. 

They won't score many but they can defend which will win points and games. I think they'll be around mid-table. We might be in the same position. 

20 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

So just who is culpable for this latest Greenhell road disaster....
Cheesy, Gilmour, Tesco , Joma, Mallon, St mirren airport parking, ticket office troubles , corners not filled in, hot pie availability, one bog access, 1877 club prices, pundits, Fitzpatrick enthusiasm, the training complex, JDSports changing room wall colour, whining Main stand pensioners, curly club crests.
I'm gonna blame Livingston for turning up, the feckers.

I'm gutted. Everything shite about St Mirren in one post... yet you missed the HoF panels not being updated in over four years and SMiSA members being asked to vote on extremely expensive replacements for something that is already 97.5% in place.

Poor show mate. :P

9 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Are they are poor side? They've drawn with Thistle and beaten us. 

They won't score many but they can defend which will win points and games. I think they'll be around mid-table. We might be in the same position. 

I agree with your point about Livi . They look like a stuffy team that look capable of grinding out results.

As for us , with about half a team out injured or players to come in , I'll reserve judgment.

Trying to take a broad brush stroke view of those who have attended games so far, the thing that seems to crop up a lot is that the likes of Dundee and Livingston have been (I paraphrase) bigger tougher bully boys than St Mirren, who aren't adverse to sticking the odd boot in, even in a so called friendly..... and a real friendly like the Dundee game.

This sounds very much like the time Hamilton came to our patch and Alex Neil put in a tremendous one-man midfield performance that involved kicking John McGinn and Kenny McLean up the arse, putting them right out the game. The second part of his plan was finding cunning ways to appear invisible to the referee. Also, he could play fitba'. Wish he was in our team.

We need to wise up. Fair comment?