Tv Theme Tunes

Guest Ruggy Bairn

Guest Ruggy Bairn
The Littlest Hobo.

The first three notes to this theme used to (or maybe still do) precede every tannoy announcement at Glasgow Central station.

'Bing-bonnnng-bing'.

:D

There's a voice,

Keeps on Calling me,

Down the road,

Is where I'll always be,

And so on...........

World In Action

Anyone remember who was responsible for this tune?

I think it was some prog rock outfit or something like that.

Was it World In Action that sampled Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain ?

No - Nantucket Sleighride was used as the intro music for "Weekend World". World in Action was summat else again .

World In Action

Anyone remember who was responsible for this tune?

I think it was some prog rock outfit or something like that.

Was it World In Action that sampled Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain ?

No - Nantucket Sleighride was used as the intro music for "Weekend World". World in Action was summat else again .

Oh right. Maybe Weekend World was what Dirty Sanchez was actually referring to when he mentioned World In Action :blink: .

Which of those current affairs programmes used Sibelius - was that maybe World In Action ?

Interesting but ultimately useless fact : the title Nantucket Sleighride refers to a term used by the old whaling ships operating out of Nantucket in North America, and is descriptive of the hair-raising journey upon which a whaling ship would be violently towed by a large whale once the first harpoons had been embedded in the creature's body and it had set off across the waves at speed, dragging the boat behind it.

Edited by Bill Lees

Talking about World In Action got me thinking - what was that other current affairs programme that ITV used to show? Would have been on around 8 o'clock or 8:30 some week nights and had a recogniseable classical tune as it's theme (we're talking years ago here btw)...which I think may have been the Karelia Suite by Sibelius? :unsure:

As for other good ones, Red Dwarf had a fantastic theme tune, as did the Clothes Show with the Pet Shop Boys song "In The Night". :2cool

Yes, it was This Week, and its title music was a part of Sibelius's Karelia Suite.

I've always liked the title music from the old American sitcom "Taxi" - in fact entitled "Angela" by Bob James - but then I've liked a lot of Bob James's music for a few years now.

The old Top Gear theme tune (Jessica by The Allman Brothers Band) was also a belter. I don't think they use it since the BBC revamped the show.

And the BBC's Formula 1 music. The Chain by Fleetwood Mac. Of course it was the best thing about it and you could switch off after the theme music :D