Daniel Lennon - St Mirren Legend

16 hours ago, Yflab said:

Gary Locke is hardly a stellar name in management.

That was my point. After getting the boot from Hearts Locke somehow managed to get jobs at Killie and, even more ridiculously, Raith Rovers. Meanwhile Danny has had a brief spell at Alloa and temporary charge of Airdrie despite having achieved a League Cup win and two eighth place finishes with us, as well as good work at Cowdenbeath.

My mates treated me to hospitality v Dundee Utd for my 40th back in 2013, the week before the cup final. It was a dull draw, but everyone had their minds on the final.
We had an amazing day, piling through from Fife in a minibus, wetting our whistles early doors. Connor Newton and Paul Dummett presented me with a bottle of bubbly from the club after the game; little did I know they would be heroes the next week.
Anyway, my point is Danny took the time to speak to me and my mates (mix of allegiances: Dundee fans, Utd, Celtic and even a Wolves fan in the group) and Danny was absolutely brilliant. My mates still talk about it being one of their best days out anywhere.
I was so proud of my club that day, the fans, the players and the club staff, but our 5 minute blether with Danny was the highlight for me and my mates. His polite patience, listening to my view on the lineup for the final was impressive too and he had great banter with all of us. He always represented our club with pride and seemed to have time for everyone, even a bunch of well oiled 'football experts'.
I'm sure many buddies have similar recollections of Danny and wish him awe the best in his new job.

On 17/07/2017 at 4:27 PM, nedflanders123 said:

Seriously? Would that be beside statues of Alex Ferguson and Alex Smith? The League Cup win was great but the majority of his reign was a constant worry. He deserves his place in St Mirren Hall of Fame for leading the club to its LC success but a statue?

There is method in Shull's madness.

He's in the scrap metal business.

You must have noticed the taxi parked outside Greggs in Paisley.

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, belfast billy said:

Our league cup win included a great run beating Aberdeen Celtic and Hearts on the way but though our 1987 Scottish Cup win was a great day for us it’s still regarded as one of the worst finals in living memory

It was a poor game however remember when we used to get cup replays like Deadco v Hibs 79 zzzzzz

4 hours ago, belfast billy said:

Our league cup win included a great run beating Aberdeen Celtic and Hearts on the way but though our 1987 Scottish Cup win was a great day for us it’s still regarded as one of the worst finals in living memory

How many have you been to. :unsure:

7 hours ago, belfast billy said:

Who by?

I grew up watching borefests

Celtic v Rangers 1977

Hibs v Rangers 1979

Celtic v Rangers 1980 only remembered by the aggro afterwards

Dundee Utd v Rangers 1981

Aberdeen v Rangers 1983

Danny Lennon played with St Mirren against Port Glasgow in the Renfrewshire cup while manager.  

Wrong match bud.

We beat Port Glasgow 16-0 at Ralston but it was just the U20s that were playing alongside a couple of fringe first team players.

Danny played in the 2-0 win over Carlton YM in 2010, Kenny McLean and Mark Lamont with the goals.

7 hours ago, shull said:

Danny Lennon is my favourite Saints Manager of all time. 

I would like a Stand at the Stadium named after him and maybe a Statue of him also. 

Yep best St Mirren manager in the last 30 years. Best football played, best players (Thompson, Teale, Goncalves, Dummett, Carey, McGowan, McLean, McGinn and the list goes on) Best league finish, Cup winners.

At times we were a joy to watch. Always remember the first few games of his 2nd season when all the big names signed. Dunfermline away we played like Brazil and somehow drew. The 2nd game though was just about the best I've ever seen us play. Absolutely steam rollered aberdeen at home playing barca style passing. Ended 1-0 but was going on 5. Hasselbaink was exceptional. Then we all travelled up to tannadice in week 3 and for the first 30-40 mins we were doing exactly the same to them as we did to aberdeen. Big Thommo scored then hasselbaink was clean through to make it 2-0 but instead got sent off for holding off the chasing defender! I remember after that game thinking for the first time in my life I'm going to see us do something special in the premier league.

Craig Paterson on the radio said that day if we kept playing like that we'd finish top 6 no problem, maybe even top 4! We lost momentum after that with nigel suspended for 2 games at a point he was tearing defences apart but there were glimpses throughout that season of how special that team couldve been not least the day we drew at ibrox scoring a magnificent team goal that started with Sampson and ended with Thommo sliding in van zantens cross and all pundits were saying we should've won. But not to worry we stayed up comfortably and the following season wee danny guided us to league cup glory!

Hope he gets a bigger job from the recent publicity. He deserves it.

Edited by Big Yards