Daniel Lennon - St Mirren Legend

Yep best St Mirren manager in the last 30 years. Best football played, best players (Thompson, Teale, Goncalves, Dummett, Carey, McGowan, McLean, McGinn and the list goes on) Best league finish, Cup winners. At times we were a joy to watch. Always remember the first few games of his 2nd season when all the big names signed. Dunfermline away we played like Brazil and somehow drew. The 2nd game though was just about the best I've ever seen us play. Absolutely steam rollered aberdeen at home playing barca style passing. Ended 1-0 but was going on 5. Hasselbaink was exceptional. Then we all travelled up to tannadice in week 3 and for the first 30-40 mins we were doing exactly the same to them as we did to aberdeen. Big Thommo scored then hasselbaink was clean through to make it 2-0 but instead got sent off for holding off the chasing defender! I remember after that game thinking for the first time in my life I'm going to see us do something special in the premier league.

Craig Paterson on the radio said that day if we kept playing like that we'd finish top 6 no problem, maybe even top 4! We lost momentum after that with nigel suspended for 2 games at a point he was tearing defences apart but there were glimpses throughout that season of how special that team couldve been not least the day we drew at ibrox scoring a magnificent team goal that started with Sampson and ended with Thommo sliding in van zantens cross and all pundits were saying we should've won. But not to worry we stayed up comfortably and the following season wee danny guided us to league cup glory!

Hope he gets a bigger job from the recent publicity. He deserves it.

Darren McGregor getting injured early on that season was a big blow.

For me, although Lennon certainly did assemble the best squads of players, I feel we underachieved considering the standard of player we had (Aaron Mooy another name to add to the list).

The attempts at Barca style passing and the continual chopping and changing of the team and formation, even during games were our downfall IMO.

If we’d been more direct and had more consistency in team selection I believe we should have been finishing top 6 with those players.

Indeed, I’d be willing to bet that if we’d had someone other than Tommy Craig as assistant then we could have fulfilled our potential.

He was the culprit IMO

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Darren McGregor getting injured early on that season was a big blow.

For me, although Lennon certainly did assemble the best squads of players, I feel we underachieved considering the standard of player we had (Aaron Mooy another name to add to the list).

The attempts at Barca style passing and the continual chopping and changing of the team and formation, even during games were our downfall IMO.

If we’d been more direct and had more consistency in team selection I believe we should have been finishing top 6 with those players.

Indeed, I’d be willing to bet that if we’d had someone other than Tommy Craig as assistant then we could have fulfilled our potential.

He was the culprit IMO

Ffs did someone hack your account🤔

10 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Yep best St Mirren manager in the last 30 years. Best football played, best players (Thompson, Teale, Goncalves, Dummett, Carey, McGowan, McLean, McGinn and the list goes on) Best league finish, Cup winners.

At times we were a joy to watch. Always remember the first few games of his 2nd season when all the big names signed. Dunfermline away we played like Brazil and somehow drew. The 2nd game though was just about the best I've ever seen us play. Absolutely steam rollered aberdeen at home playing barca style passing. Ended 1-0 but was going on 5. Hasselbaink was exceptional. Then we all travelled up to tannadice in week 3 and for the first 30-40 mins we were doing exactly the same to them as we did to aberdeen. Big Thommo scored then hasselbaink was clean through to make it 2-0 but instead got sent off for holding off the chasing defender! I remember after that game thinking for the first time in my life I'm going to see us do something special in the premier league.

Craig Paterson on the radio said that day if we kept playing like that we'd finish top 6 no problem, maybe even top 4! We lost momentum after that with nigel suspended for 2 games at a point he was tearing defences apart but there were glimpses throughout that season of how special that team couldve been not least the day we drew at ibrox scoring a magnificent team goal that started with Sampson and ended with Thommo sliding in van zantens cross and all pundits were saying we should've won. But not to worry we stayed up comfortably and the following season wee danny guided us to league cup glory!

Hope he gets a bigger job from the recent publicity. He deserves it.

Yep, it was a magnificent start to the season and in those games we didn't pick up the points we deserved.

We won the League Cup but there is no doubt our final league positions with that squad wasn't good enough. There was obviously a motivation issue after the League Cup win. I feel Lennon never really had an assistant and coaching team that had his back. He was maybe a bit too "nice" for managing that dressing room. He could have done with an assistant with qualities that complimented his own, rather than Craig who didn't really seem to be the full shilling.

He is doing well now, and I would expect to see him back full time at a Falkirk or Partick Thistle soon.

Indeed, this little run out for him has been an excellent piece of PR! Probably smarter than he looks is Old Danny!

Most of the football under DL was brutal with two exceptions - the first 3/4 months of the 2011/12 season when Teale & Thommo arrived and the period of 12/13 between Isma's arrival and his ban for diving after the Celtic game.

His strongest trait was his lack of ego and the way he was willing to make the hard decisions and revamp the team after poor starts to the 2010/12 and 13/14 seasons.

Since leaving us he has had a reasonable record at other teams, Alloa & now Clyde - he has a better record than many managers who have had numerous F/T gigs but sadly I think he has been categorised as a manager at P/T level although I would love to be proved wrong and see him get another chance with a bigger club.

Edited by Bud the Baker

22 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Most of the football under DL was brutal with two exceptions - the first 3/4 months of the 2011/12 season when Teale & Thommo arrived and the period of 12/13 between Isma's arrival and his ban for diving after the Celtic game.

His strongest trait was his lack of ego and the way he was willing to make the hard decisions and revamp the team after poor starts to the 2010/12 and 13/14 seasons.

Since leaving us he has had a reasonable record at other teams, Alloa & now Clyde - he has a better record than many managers who have had numerous F/T gigs but sadly I think he has been categorised as a manager at P/T level although I would love to be proved wrong and see him get another chance with a bigger club.

Brutal, really??? Compared to Tommy Craig, Ian Murray, Alex Rae, Alan Stubbs?

We were keeping the ball like Barca back then!

We went from bad to worse after winning the cup plus with the players he had we under achieved in the league. Never had a plan B IMO but thanks for the cup Danny plus you’re a decent guy. What happened after DL was just poor decisions by the board.

Interesting the different viewpoints on the Danny Lennon tenure. .

One thing is certain , with DL gone the Club went into a period of instability  which changed briefly with Jack Ross , a man who could clearly get the best out of individual players. 

With the loss of Ross and a certain strong player , the Saint Mirren team looked decidedly shaky again. 

Here's to Jim getting a decent chance to bring a bit of long term stability to Paisley Saint Mirren FC. .