So Farewell Then Magnum

shull

1 hour ago, FS said:

Think we went on a primary school trip to the once state of the art 1970's leisure centre. I guess The Lagoon stole a chunk of it's market eventually...

Back in the day swimming must've been more popular with pools in Paisley , Renfrew , Johnstone and even Elderslie had a pool , and both high schools in Johnstone had pools too .The attraction with the Magnum would have been the ice rink when the one Paisley was closed. 

6 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Back in the day swimming must've been more popular with pools in Paisley , Renfrew , Johnstone and even Elderslie had a pool , and both high schools in Johnstone had pools too .The attraction with the Magnum would have been the ice rink when the one Paisley was closed. 

We didn't have Playstations, iPhones, Nintendos, fidget spinners, ten pin bowling, SnoZones with artificial ski slopes and climbing/rope walks.... we were sent to the baths, with 20p for a cup of chicken noodle soup fae' the vending machine in reception.

Them wis' the days... maybe.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

We didn't have Playstations, iPhones, Nintendos, fidget spinners, ten pin bowling, SnoZones with artificial ski slopes and climbing/rope walks.... we were sent to the baths, with 20p for a cup of chicken noodle soup fae' the vending machine in reception.

Them wis' the days... maybe.

Yeh , life was simpler and more fun , we also had far bigger crowds at Saint Mirren fitba matches , even in damp freezing winter Tuesday nites. .

5 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Yeh , life was simpler and more fun , we also had far bigger crowds at Saint Mirren fitba matches , even in damp freezing winter Tuesday nites. .

I prefer modern life. I like having a phone for instant contact. I love Gran Turismo on the Playstation. UHD big tellies are great, cars are well built... personally, I have no desire to pine for days of rusty Chrysler Avengers, Glasgow being a dirty violent city, and racist 'patter' on certain TV sitcoms being the accepted norm'.... having said that, I think as kids, we definitely thought nothing of our social life pretty much being kicking a ball around with our mates, and doing 'bombing' into the deep end of the local baths... no running, no bombing, no smoking, no petting... remember those signs at the baths!?

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

I prefer modern life. I like having a phone for instant contact. I love Gran Turismo on the Playstation. UHD big tellies are great, cars are well built... personally, I have no desire to pine for days of rusty Chrysler Avengers, Glasgow being a dirty violent city, and racist 'patter' on certain TV sitcoms being the accepted norm'.... having said that, I think as kids, we definitely thought nothing of our social life pretty much being kicking a ball around with our mates, and doing 'bombing' into the deep end of the local baths... no running, no bombing, no smoking, no petting... remember those signs at the baths!?

I wouldn't miss the fecking phone but you certainly have a point regarding the Hillman Avenger , modern cars are far better . You are also correct about Glasgow but back in the day Paisley was mobbed , now it is empty and I miss the crowds . I have never had the desire for a PS but have used them of course. Of course , I remember those signs at the baths , they were meant to be humorous right ? I only ever got one warning for bombing at the deep end . .:)

1 minute ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I wouldn't miss the fecking phone but you certainly have a point regarding the Hillman Avenger , modern cars are far better . You are also correct about Glasgow but back in the day Paisley was mobbed , now it is empty and I miss the crowds . I have never had the desire for a PS but have used them of course. Of course , I remember those signs at the baths , they were meant to be humorous right ? I only ever got one warning for bombing at the deep end . .:)

Aye, sadly, I never got done for petting at the baths. I certainly went into Paisley not only for nights out, but for shopping. We've had these conversations before, and you go round in a circle. Best to embrace the good bits about modern life and keep the good bits about the old days in your heart and your mind...

Goodness me, that's a bit deep for a Wednesday afternoon. Better sticking to moaning about panels and kits. :P

2 hours ago, shull said:

What about the other 1980's place to be ?

Is the Time Capsule stilll standing ? 

Yip.... though if you read tripadvisor it might not be standing for much longer

o.jpg

Edited by oscar

On 7/19/2017 at 8:19 AM, saintnextlifetime said:

The Magnum was a great venue for bands back in the 8ts , saw a couple of great bands then. .

PWJT300681.jpg

A fair few of us dogged school to try to get tickets for this

To no avail it seemed thousands had the same idea

Madness played a few months later

Never bothered