Harry

I'm possibly not quite as cock-a-hoop about this signing as some, but can absolutely appreciate that we wouldn't have had a sniff if Davis was currently fit and match ready. He is easily good enough to be playing at a higher level.

I reckon it is a gamble worth taking, such is the critical importance of a strong central defensive unit and spine to the team. Samson is unlikely to have played behind a better pairing than Davis and McKenzie, so it should have a good knock-on effect with him, and also allow our full backs to get forward more readily.

A combative midfielder and experienced forward who can link up the play and we are good to go.

14 minutes ago, madball said:

We should be playing for corners in every game as any combination of centre halves carries a goal threat in this squad.

Aye, if any of our strikers are right through, aim for the Goalie and pray for a corner via a deflection or save. 

Excellent signing!
Definitely a signing that will improve the squad and will be a first name on the team sheet once fully fit.

This signing will give the defensive side of the club a hearty boost ahead of the new season.

Welcome back to the club Harry!

Great signing.

Simply put - Harry played 5 and a half league games for us last season, 3 of them were clean sheets. We only had 5 in total over the season!

McKenzie / Davis is a formidable centre-half pairing who can defend and score goals. Harry's obviously going to miss the start of the campaign but if, after that, they both keep fit then we'll concede fewer goals than we did last season no doubt. 

1 minute ago, Saint Garf said:

How far away from fitness is he? Are we talking weeks or months?

I think it'll be weeks. Very much doubt we'd have taken the gamble now if he was months away from fitness, especially as he's a free agent and could've been signed at any time even outwith the window.

5 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I think it'll be weeks. Very much doubt we'd have taken the gamble now if he was months away from fitness, especially as he's a free agent and could've been signed at any time even outwith the window.

Seem to remember the end of August being the approximate time for his return to fitness.

I'm sure that there would have been an in depth assessment of his injury/fitness before we signed him.

Fingers crossed all goes well.

Edited by FTOF

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Seem to remember the end of August being the approximate time for his return to fitness.

I'm sure that there would have been an in depth assessment of his injury/fitness before we signed him.

Fingers crossed all goes well.

Think the initial assessment and prognosis was September, and heard he was ahead of schedule. You're spot on that his fitness would have been a major part of the signing talks. Can't be far away.

Here's the rub for me, no doubt Davis is the real deal, but some may be advised to not make him the messiah just yet. What I recall the prognosis was he would be fit around end of August, don't know if this was match fit, or fit to resume full training?

lets go with match fit around end of August for now, as we all know thats just an assessment and it could be a couple of weeks beyond then for a player to attain full match fitness, now if we dont get off to a flyer both manager and player will be under pressure to 'rush it' which could lead to a quick breakdown and a longer rehab.

that would effectively mean we are paying probably our highest earner just to treat his injury. Even though Davis is a good player at this level I worry about the wisdom of signing someone you are effectively putting all your eggs in one basket with (expect Baird to be loaned out now) who could miss the first four/five games and still take time to get up to speed.

surely there are several other alternatives who would jump at what Davis is raking in, who are match fit and available for selection on Saturday..?

24 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Here's the rub for me, no doubt Davis is the real deal, but some may be advised to not make him the messiah just yet. What I recall the prognosis was he would be fit around end of August, don't know if this was match fit, or fit to resume full training?

lets go with match fit around end of August for now, as we all know thats just an assessment and it could be a couple of weeks beyond then for a player to attain full match fitness, now if we dont get off to a flyer both manager and player will be under pressure to 'rush it' which could lead to a quick breakdown and a longer rehab.

that would effectively mean we are paying probably our highest earner just to treat his injury. Even though Davis is a good player at this level I worry about the wisdom of signing someone you are effectively putting all your eggs in one basket with (expect Baird to be loaned out now) who could miss the first four/five games and still take time to get up to speed.

surely there are several other alternatives who would jump at what Davis is raking in, who are match fit and available for selection on Saturday..?

Don't think anyone has claimed him the messiah on this thread.

as you say, undoubtedly a good signing at this level and will be an automatic first pick when up and running. I wouldn't expect Baird to be loaned out yet and, if he was, it can be later in season on an emergency loan like Hutton last year.

We can make wild assumptions about rushing back, etc, but there's no point.