St Mirren V Airdrie - Third Place Decider

St.Ricky

17 minutes ago, FTOF said:

We kept getting Reilly and Smith mixed up, but as the game progressed it became apparent that the faster one was Reilly.

Good to see Smith firing in the last goal with great confidence. If he can add more goals to his game he'll be an even greater asset to us.

We done exactly the same throughout the game. I`m not sure if this is the fault of SMISA, the fans council , Gordon Scott, Joma ,Tony-f , or Cheesey but whoever it is must sort it immediately . If this is not remedied soon i will hand back the season ticket i dont possess .

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

I like the league cup format but playing it so early has ruined it for me. It really is a pre-season exercise which is a shame. 

Historically our football season kicks off the first or second Saturday in August, now we're trying to play competitive games in the middle of July. 

How early are we expected to bring guys back for pre-season training? Squads are nowhere near assembled by mid July. 

We're now playing our first "competitive" match around the same time we used to play our first pre season friendly. 

Waste of a national trophy. 

Pre-season now over, looking forward to the real stuff now.

We would probably think differently about format if we qualified for next round

"Next week will have a different feel around it. These games still have a little bit of a pre-season feel to it, whereas next week the crowd that will be in here, the atmosphere and intensity will properly be at competitive football."

Jack ross. 

5 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

We done exactly the same throughout the game. I`m not sure if this is the fault of SMISA, the fans council , Gordon Scott, Joma ,Tony-f , or Cheesey but whoever it is must sort it immediately . If this is not remedied soon i will hand back the season ticket i dont possess .

Don't hand it back Callum, give it to me. 

Watched a different game from me. Not the most mobile but never hides, held the ball up well and a lovely assist for Reilly's first. Great guy for Stewrat to learn from. Big mistake if we let him go to a rival

I absolutely love big Sutton but he just seems to have lost the spring in his step that made him such a dominant target man. His first touch has also deserted him and I genuinely saw little evidence of good hold up play today although the lay off for the second was excellent and classic Sutton.

I'd like nothing better than him finding some form and, as FTOF says, maybe it's simply lack of game time. Let's hope so but I feel if we bring someone else in he'll be the odd man out.

I must admit, and I know some will disagree, but here goes. I thought Airdrie were better than Livingston.

They certainly weren't as bad as some are making out. Sometimes you can only play as well as the other team lets you. We didn't let them play today and our big players all played very well.

5 minutes ago, DLBud said:

They certainly weren't as bad as some are making out. Sometimes you can only play as well as the other team lets you. We didn't let them play today and our big players all played very well.

We were pretty much in a "no win" situation depending how people view it. By most accounts Airdrie were pretty poor but we won 5-0, that's, IMO, what you should be doing to teams that are shit.

You can imagine the meltdown if we'd lost, or even drawn.

It's certainly as good as I'd hoped and while, overall, our league cup campaign has been disappointing, this result lifts the spirit, within reason.

We all know next week is a real test, not the end of the season if we lose but Falkirk have started the season (the season has started, right?) pretty well so lets see where we are after next Saturday.

It also worth pointing out that Falkirk's "amazing" start to the season has seen them beat Stirling, Forfar and Brechin as you'd expect them to. They had a good win up in Inverness but had no SPL team in their group.

Winning breeds confidence and good habits but they are not f**king Barcelona. Let's not forget that ahead of next week.

Going to throw this one out there to see if I am a lone nutter, or does anyone feel the same. I cannot look at the Airdrie kit, that red chevron, without immediately thinking 'horrible, horrible football club'. I just associate that kit with feelings of 'yeuch!'. One look at that white and red combo' and....

Probably me. :D

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Going to throw this one out there to see if I am a lone nutter, or does anyone feel the same. I cannot look at the Airdrie kit, that red chevron, without immediately thinking 'horrible, horrible football club'. I just associate that kit with feelings of 'yeuch!'. One look at that white and red combo' and....

Never liked Clydebank Airdrie either,I always think of the horrible cnuts that played for them down the years.

That diamond kit was shit indeed.

16 minutes ago, thomsons dropped it said:

Never liked Clydebank Airdrie either,I always think of the horrible cnuts that played for them down the years.

That diamond kit was shit indeed.

Diamond... that's it. I said 'chevron' earlier. Silly me. Still... cannot look at that strip without thinking about guys like wee 'diddy' MacDonald & Co. I can easily look at a Motherwell kit without thinking 'Gregor Stevens & Co', but Airdriebank? Nah. Yeuch.

58 minutes ago, DLBud said:

It also worth pointing out that Falkirk's "amazing" start to the season has seen them beat Stirling, Forfar and Brechin as you'd expect them to. They had a good win up in Inverness but had no SPL team in their group.

Winning breeds confidence and good habits but they are not f**king Barcelona. Let's not forget that ahead of next week.

SPL hasn't existed for 5 seasons now, do keep up.

Sutton always was a bit ponderous. Now, the effects of age (34 later this year) plus the contrast with the likes of Morgan and Reilly make him look even more so.

Top scorer last season though: 13 goals from 36 starts is not be sniffed at. 

I think he can still do a job though maybe not as a regular starter. My only concern is that he appears to have dyed his hair. Early midlife crisis?

1 minute ago, Julian Banjos said:

Sutton always was a bit ponderous. Now, the effects of age (34 later this year) plus the contrast with the likes of Morgan and Reilly make him look even more so.

Top scorer last season though: 13 goals from 36 starts is not be sniffed at. 

I think he can still do a job though maybe not as a regular starter. My only concern is that he appears to have dyed his hair. Early midlife crisis?

At least he still has hair. :thumbs2

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Nah you're not alone,names like Sandison, Boyle,etc turn my stomach 

"Next week will have a different feel around it. These games still have a little bit of a pre-season feel to it, whereas next week the crowd that will be in here, the atmosphere and intensity will properly be at competitive football."

Jack ross. 

Totally - let's get the whole stadium f**kin bouncing on Saturday. Right behind the lads - anyone with any negativity can f**k right off, we don't need you or want you. Atmosphere last couple of months of last season was the best I've ever seen at the new stadium and no doubt it made a huge difference. COYS

Airdrie used to be a right dirty team, and until Junior Mendes showed up would normally have the beating of us.

They of course aggressively took over at Clydebank, putting a historic club out of existence.

Now they are getting humped 5-0 going on 12-0 in Paisley, up the swanny again financially, and putting out rambling late night "club statements" as a result:

http://airdriefc.com/news/2017/07/clubstatement2

Oh dear.