St Mirren V Airdrie - Third Place Decider

St.Ricky

Really comfortable performance

Good for Reilly and Smith to get some goals before the season starts. Morgan took his goal superbly.

Few decent saves from Samson as well so a few positives that the team can take

One negative for me...guy behind me in the stand gave Reilly and big Stewart absolute pelters all game. He actually didn't acknowledge Reilly second goal at all, imagine being that sad and petty.

5 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

Really comfortable performance

Good for Reilly and Smith to get some goals before the season starts. Morgan took his goal superbly.

Few decent saves from Samson as well so a few positives that the team can take

One negative for me...guy behind me in the stand gave Reilly and big Stewart absolute pelters all game. He actually didn't acknowledge Reilly second goal at all, imagine being that sad and petty.

Some folk only go to games to moan. I think they're people that no-one will listen to in the real world, so the only way their drivel can be heard by other humans is by shouting it out in front of a captive audience. Moron. 

3 minutes ago, Saint Garf said:

Some folk only go to games to moan. I think they're people that no-one will listen to in the real world, so the only way their drivel can be heard by other humans is by shouting it out in front of a captive audience. Moron. 

A bit like on here.

Also, the other major to be taken from today's game is that Andy Ryan appears to be nothing like worth the money that is being bandied about in connection with him. Anonymous with a poor attitude is what I could see but it appears he's not in great frame of mind professionally at the moment so perhaps there are mitigating circumstances. 

Pleased with that but we must be honest and admit Airdrie looked very poor indeed.

Good for Samson to have a confidence building performance in goal.

Still praying we will see a striker and midfielder brought in over the week ahead.

Also, the other major to be taken from today's game is that Andy Ryan appears to be nothing like worth the money that is being bandied about in connection with him. Anonymous with a poor attitude is what I could see but it appears he's not in great frame of mind professionally at the moment so perhaps there are mitigating circumstances. 

Agreed.

Could still be a good player but I'd rather take a chance on someone else.

2 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Actually think young Stewart looked good when he came on. Really mobile for a big guy, always looking for space. A work in progress sure, but a good prospect.

He seems to have good instincts, finds himself in dangerous positions, the ball has a habit of falling to him in the box. Techniques like first touch and finishing can be taught or improved, but that ability to arrive in the right place at the right time is hard to teach.

He seems to have good instincts, finds himself in dangerous positions, the ball has a habit of falling to him in the box. Techniques like first touch and finishing can be taught or improved, but that ability to arrive in the right place at the right time is hard to teach.

Full time training will be good for him, once he starts to bulk up a bit he could start bullying defenders in this league.

JR did say he was a work in progress. Maybe see the best of him later in the season

Good win. Proved that when we are allowed to play, we can play. In the championship we'll need to earn the right to play and will come up against better, more physical teams, but we certainly have some good players.

Thought McShane looked good today, and Smith & Morgan were more like their normal self. Good to see Reilly among the goals, and Sutton showing that while he's here, he must be involved.

A confidence booster for next week, but Falkirk will be one of the toughest games we'll have all season. We need to be up for it. If we are, we can win.

Today showed what I like about Ross, he's not afraid to make changes when he's got something wrong.

He's now realised that he can't play Reilly up by himself, neither can he play Sutton. He changed it to a 4-4-2 today and we looked comfortable and could have scored more. If we have the ball in the oppositions half, then we can't concede.

I'd be happy going into the season with a 4-4-2, with Stewart replacing a tiring Sutton. We'd only then realistically need a right back, right winger and a centre half to be pretty comfortable with the squad depth.

Airdrie didn't offer much, I felt sorry for their right back as Morgan was just ripping him apart.

Need to be quicker on the ball next week but as we won't get the same respect given to us today.

Big difference today was a decent workrate unlike last week. Reilly looks a confidence player and the two today were good goals although his penalty was poor. Stewart reads a game well and gets into good positions but he gets bullied easily and his first touch can be poor but there is definitely potential in there. Could easily have been 10 today. Some self-respect restored before next week. And a big shout to Stelios today - thought that his passing was great. Jack really has to find a place for him every week.

On today's evidence, the things I learned are .......

Against poor opposition who give our players acres of space on the ball we can look half decent.

Even against poor opposition lapses of concentration by some of our players could easily have cost us goals today. Better opposition will punish us.

Jack Baird is probably our best option to play alongside McKenzie.

Signing Andy Ryan wouldn't improve our forward line.

We still haven't found a reliable penalty taker.

Thought Reilly looked decent playing off Sutton and Cammy Smith put in a good shift. We will need to up our work rate again for next week but some promising signs. That doing last week could be best thing that has happened to us !