Darren Whyte vs Jack Ross

I'm  not one for starting threads where one exists but I felt I had to  start this.

Darren Whyte was hung out to dry by our manager today.

Anyone who has watched him play for the U20s will say he's an excellent central defender or defensive midfielder.

He's not a full back. In all the U20 games I saw last season he never once played in that position and if JR didn't know after the Dundee game he would  certainly have known it by reading the comments on here by me and SantaPonsa.

To play him there against a top division team was, IMO, an incredible misjudgement 

I'm  not one for starting threads where one exists but I felt I had to  start this.
Anyone who has watched him play for the U20s will say he's an excellent central defender or defensive midfielder.
He's not a full back. In all the U20 games I saw last season he never once played in that position and if JR didn't know after the Dundee game he would  certainly have known it by reading the comments on here by me and SantaPonsa.
To play him there against a top division team was, IMO, an incredible misjudgement 

Not sure there were many options today. I'm not disagreeing with you per se, however, how would you have set us up?

Also, if Whyte is to break into the team this year he'll need to show a bit of adaptability as he won't see much playing time at centre back or centre mid IMO.

With Eckersley and Stelios out. what would your solution have been? Genuine question!

Barron played most of the season on the wrong side to help the team... more recently, Sean Kelly who was a central defender or defensive midfielder had to earn a move to a higher division by playing out of position.

In my opinion, players should be versatile and take the chances afforded to them. 

That said, they need support to learn and adapt and for that reason... I exempt the lad from any public criticism.

There was 11 hopeless performances in that starting side yesterday and you choose to highlight the young guy who was only brought into the team as cover because of suspensions. He was far from the worst player in the side,  Gavin Reilly and Ian Mcshane are experienced players and both were horrendous yesterday,  I'd be alot more worried about them than a young boy who's trying to kick start a career in football.

2 hours ago, bud84 said:

There was 11 hopeless performances in that starting side yesterday and you choose to highlight the young guy who was only brought into the team as cover because of suspensions. He was far from the worst player in the side,  Gavin Reilly and Ian Mcshane are experienced players and both were horrendous yesterday,  I'd be alot more worried about them than a young boy who's trying to kick start a career in football.

Well said

Got to agree with the last part of this post, with the exception of our captain I saw no fight or dig from the team, we were all over the place yesterday, thistle simply blew us away (particularly in the first half).

I am a bit worried as based on that yesterday 'streetwise' teams such as Falkirk and Dundee United could potentially do the same to us if we don't get our act together.

For me that was as bad yesterday as QOS at home back in January.

100% agree Saints fans are getting a false perception of this young lad. He's a excellent young player. But playing him right back is a shocking decision. no once but twice

He had a torrid time in the 1st half but so did every other player. I was impressed with his attitude to stick at it and he got forward quite a bit in the 2nd half. I thought he was one of the few who came out with an element of credit in terms of his approach and attitude.

3 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

100% agree Saints fans are getting a false perception of this young lad. He's a excellent young player. But playing him right back is a shocking decision. no once but twice

Why the hell can't a professional football player not play in a position which a few yards adjacent to his normal position. 

He is in the wrong job if he's that limited. 

Pathetic 

That's the problem with homegrown players 

They are technically shite. 

Why the hell can't a professional football player not play in a position which a few yards adjacent to his normal position.  He is in the wrong job if he's that limited. 

Pathetic 

That's the problem with homegrown players 

They are technically shite. 

would you play John Sutton at right back

I don't believe any lasting damage will be done by yesterday's gubbing at Partick. Not to St Mirren a team, nor to Whyte. As I have said a few times, thanks to this 'exciting group stage' grind of Saturday - Midweek - Saturday, we are already asking a lot of players still being knitted into a new team, and already injuries and suspensions are taking their toll. Sadly, very sadly, in my view we need to look at the League Cup now as our pre-season, and simply try to get through it without it impacting too greatly on the start to our league campaign. I have a lot of sympathy for Jack Ross, Stelios out, probably three genuine starters out injured, a lot of new young faces, facing a top flight team. Erskine and Spittal on their own looked better than anyone in our team.

I just hope Jack genuinely knows his signings have quality that isn't being shown yet, and they will come good, and Jack hasn't embarked on his very own Summer of 'Beath.

I detest the Bells Ramsdens Petrofac B&Q Irn Bru Norn Iron & Welsh Diddies Diddy Cup... now I also detest this pile of utter nonsense group stage League Cup. 

Young Whyte will be fine. A group stage gubbing in a tarnished pre-season 'friendly' won't define his career - or our season.

12 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I don't believe any lasting damage will be done by yesterday's gubbing at Partick. Not to St Mirren a team, nor to Whyte. As I have said a few times, thanks to this 'exciting group stage' grind of Saturday - Midweek - Saturday, we are already asking a lot of players still being knitted into a new team, and already injuries and suspensions are taking their toll. Sadly, very sadly, in my view we need to look at the League Cup now as our pre-season, and simply try to get through it without it impacting too greatly on the start to our league campaign. I have a lot of sympathy for Jack Ross, Stelios out, probably three genuine starters out injured, a lot of new young faces, facing a top flight team. Erskine and Spittal on their own looked better than anyone in our team.

I just hope Jack genuinely knows his signings have quality that isn't being shown yet, and they will come good, and Jack hasn't embarked on his very own Summer of 'Beath.

I detest the Bells Ramsdens Petrofac B&Q Irn Bru Norn Iron & Welsh Diddies Diddy Cup... now I also detest this pile of utter nonsense group stage League Cup. 

Young Whyte will be fine. A group stage gubbing in a tarnished pre-season 'friendly' won't define his career - or our season.

What concerned me though Pozbaird was the lack of fight. Fitness or the knitting of the team may not be quite right yet but there is NO excuse not to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in. None!

2 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

What concerned me though Pozbaird was the lack of fight. Fitness or the knitting of the team may not be quite right yet but there is NO excuse not to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in. None!

That is my biggest concern also. Getting turned over now and again is part and parcel of fitba. Not putting in a shift isn't on, though.

1 minute ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

A lot of things concerned me. A disorganised defence. No coherent midfield play. No obvious game plan. No threat up front. In the second half, ample shooting opportunities yet players fannied about taking two more touches. An apparent lack of fight. No visible leadership from McGinn..... could go on.

If it happens against Falkirk, we are in deep trouble. I'm now past caring about the League Cup - get it sorted for Falkirk Jack.

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

A lot of things concerned me. A disorganised defence. No coherent midfield play. No obvious game plan. No threat up front. In the second half, ample shooting opportunities yet players fannied about taking two more touches. An apparent lack of fight. No visible leadership from McGinn..... could go on.

If it happens against Falkirk, we are in deep trouble. I'm now past caring about the League Cup - get it sorted for Falkirk Jack.

Eh? and there was me thinking you didn't care and watched the golf :lol:

23 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

would you play John Sutton at right back

What a Dafty 

Read my post again. 

You still in the Pub? 

And anyway, if he did, he probably wouldn't let us down. 

Footballers who have mastered their trade, could if called on now and again , play reasonably in any position.