Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Eric Arthur Blair

Darren Whyte vs Jack Ross

Recommended Posts

I'm  not one for starting threads where one exists but I felt I had to  start this.

Darren Whyte was hung out to dry by our manager today.

Anyone who has watched him play for the U20s will say he's an excellent central defender or defensive midfielder.

He's not a full back. In all the U20 games I saw last season he never once played in that position and if JR didn't know after the Dundee game he would  certainly have known it by reading the comments on here by me and SantaPonsa.

To play him there against a top division team was, IMO, an incredible misjudgement 

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm  not one for starting threads where one exists but I felt I had to  start this.
Darren Whyte was hung out to dry by our manager today.
Anyone who has watched him play for the U20s will say he's an excellent central defender or defensive midfielder.
He's not a full back. In all the U20 games I saw last season he never once played in that position and if JR didn't know after the Dundee game he would  certainly have known it by reading the comments on here by me and SantaPonsa.
To play him there against a top division team was, IMO, an incredible misjudgement 
 
  


Not sure there were many options today. I'm not disagreeing with you per se, however, how would you have set us up?

Also, if Whyte is to break into the team this year he'll need to show a bit of adaptability as he won't see much playing time at centre back or centre mid IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Eckersley and Stelios out. what would your solution have been? Genuine question!

Barron played most of the season on the wrong side to help the team... more recently, Sean Kelly who was a central defender or defensive midfielder had to earn a move to a higher division by playing out of position.

In my opinion, players should be versatile and take the chances afforded to them. 

That said, they need support to learn and adapt and for that reason... I exempt the lad from any public criticism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was 11 hopeless performances in that starting side yesterday and you choose to highlight the young guy who was only brought into the team as cover because of suspensions. He was far from the worst player in the side,  Gavin Reilly and Ian Mcshane are experienced players and both were horrendous yesterday,  I'd be alot more worried about them than a young boy who's trying to kick start a career in football.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bud84 said:

There was 11 hopeless performances in that starting side yesterday and you choose to highlight the young guy who was only brought into the team as cover because of suspensions. He was far from the worst player in the side,  Gavin Reilly and Ian Mcshane are experienced players and both were horrendous yesterday,  I'd be alot more worried about them than a young boy who's trying to kick start a career in football.

 

 

Well said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There was 11 hopeless performances in that starting side yesterday and you choose to highlight the young guy who was only brought into the team as cover because of suspensions. He was far from the worst player in the side,  Gavin Reilly and Ian Mcshane are experienced players and both were horrendous yesterday,  I'd be alot more worried about them than a young boy who's trying to kick start a career in football.
 
 

Got to agree with the last part of this post, with the exception of our captain I saw no fight or dig from the team, we were all over the place yesterday, thistle simply blew us away (particularly in the first half).

I am a bit worried as based on that yesterday 'streetwise' teams such as Falkirk and Dundee United could potentially do the same to us if we don't get our act together.

For me that was as bad yesterday as QOS at home back in January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm  not one for starting threads where one exists but I felt I had to  start this.
Darren Whyte was hung out to dry by our manager today.
Anyone who has watched him play for the U20s will say he's an excellent central defender or defensive midfielder.
He's not a full back. In all the U20 games I saw last season he never once played in that position and if JR didn't know after the Dundee game he would  certainly have known it by reading the comments on here by me and SantaPonsa.
To play him there against a top division team was, IMO, an incredible misjudgement 
 
  

100% agree Saints fans are getting a false perception of this young lad. He's a excellent young player. But playing him right back is a shocking decision. no once but twice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:


100% agree Saints fans are getting a false perception of this young lad. He's a excellent young player. But playing him right back is a shocking decision. no once but twice

Why the hell can't a professional football player not play in a position which a few yards adjacent to his normal position. 

He is in the wrong job if he's that limited. 

Pathetic 

That's the problem with homegrown players 

 

They are technically shite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Why the hell can't a professional football player not play in a position which a few yards adjacent to his normal position.  He is in the wrong job if he's that limited. 

Pathetic 

That's the problem with homegrown players 

 

They are technically shite. 

 

would you play John Sutton at right back

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe any lasting damage will be done by yesterday's gubbing at Partick. Not to St Mirren a team, nor to Whyte. As I have said a few times, thanks to this 'exciting group stage' grind of Saturday - Midweek - Saturday, we are already asking a lot of players still being knitted into a new team, and already injuries and suspensions are taking their toll. Sadly, very sadly, in my view we need to look at the League Cup now as our pre-season, and simply try to get through it without it impacting too greatly on the start to our league campaign. I have a lot of sympathy for Jack Ross, Stelios out, probably three genuine starters out injured, a lot of new young faces, facing a top flight team. Erskine and Spittal on their own looked better than anyone in our team.

I just hope Jack genuinely knows his signings have quality that isn't being shown yet, and they will come good, and Jack hasn't embarked on his very own Summer of 'Beath.

I detest the Bells Ramsdens Petrofac B&Q Irn Bru Norn Iron & Welsh Diddies Diddy Cup... now I also detest this pile of utter nonsense group stage League Cup. 

Young Whyte will be fine. A group stage gubbing in a tarnished pre-season 'friendly' won't define his career - or our season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:


wold you play John Sutton at right back ya halfwit

If the team had no one else then he would have to play at right back! To say a modern day player can/will only play in one position is crazy talk and no good to St.Mirren.  I do agree that Shull is a halfwit though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I don't believe any lasting damage will be done by yesterday's gubbing at Partick. Not to St Mirren a team, nor to Whyte. As I have said a few times, thanks to this 'exciting group stage' grind of Saturday - Midweek - Saturday, we are already asking a lot of players still being knitted into a new team, and already injuries and suspensions are taking their toll. Sadly, very sadly, in my view we need to look at the League Cup now as our pre-season, and simply try to get through it without it impacting too greatly on the start to our league campaign. I have a lot of sympathy for Jack Ross, Stelios out, probably three genuine starters out injured, a lot of new young faces, facing a top flight team. Erskine and Spittal on their own looked better than anyone in our team.

I just hope Jack genuinely knows his signings have quality that isn't being shown yet, and they will come good, and Jack hasn't embarked on his very own Summer of 'Beath.

I detest the Bells Ramsdens Petrofac B&Q Irn Bru Norn Iron & Welsh Diddies Diddy Cup... now I also detest this pile of utter nonsense group stage League Cup. 

Young Whyte will be fine. A group stage gubbing in a tarnished pre-season 'friendly' won't define his career - or our season.

What concerned me though Pozbaird was the lack of fight. Fitness or the knitting of the team may not be quite right yet but there is NO excuse not to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in. None!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

What concerned me though Pozbaird was the lack of fight. Fitness or the knitting of the team may not be quite right yet but there is NO excuse not to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in. None!

That is my biggest concern also. Getting turned over now and again is part and parcel of fitba. Not putting in a shift isn't on, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

What concerned me though Pozbaird was the lack of fight. Fitness or the knitting of the team may not be quite right yet but there is NO excuse not to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in. None!

A lot of things concerned me. A disorganised defence. No coherent midfield play. No obvious game plan. No threat up front. In the second half, ample shooting opportunities yet players fannied about taking two more touches. An apparent lack of fight. No visible leadership from McGinn..... could go on.

If it happens against Falkirk, we are in deep trouble. I'm now past caring about the League Cup - get it sorted for Falkirk Jack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

A lot of things concerned me. A disorganised defence. No coherent midfield play. No obvious game plan. No threat up front. In the second half, ample shooting opportunities yet players fannied about taking two more touches. An apparent lack of fight. No visible leadership from McGinn..... could go on.

If it happens against Falkirk, we are in deep trouble. I'm now past caring about the League Cup - get it sorted for Falkirk Jack.

Eh? and there was me thinking you didn't care and watched the golf :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

would you play John Sutton at right back

 

 

 

What a Dafty 

Read my post again. 

You still in the Pub? 

And anyway, if he did, he probably wouldn't let us down. 

Footballers who have mastered their trade, could if called on now and again , play reasonably in any position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...