St Mirren v Falkirk SPFL Championship. 5/8/17

shull

After we equalised we dominated the rest of the game. Great display and a return to the tactics at the end of last season of pressing and chasing. Falkirk are a good team and at full strength so we should take more credit for today's result than some are suggesting.

Everyone played their part (even Sutton who I am not a fan of) but special mention to MacKenzie who was booted all over the park today but still put in a sterling performance. And also to Stelios who probably played the disciplined role that JR wants but you always know he will take a chance when it appears to him. He has got to be on the team sheet every week.

And a great wee tactic by JR by taking off Reilly, Smith and Sutton to standing ovations - great confidence boost for these guys.

Edited by Sonny

Awful start and we were dodgy until just before we scored. After that we were great although, typical St Mirren, we wobbled a bit when they got reduced to 10 men.

Reilly was outstanding, Smith was excellent and I enjoyed Baird pretending he was Beckenbauer, even if it does make me panic at times. Stelios maybe made the most of it for the red card - the guy definitely swung his elbow but if there was contact it was minimal, definitely not to the extent he made. Still, we've been victims of such nonsense plenty of times before, even today with Hippolyte falling over and then getting away with kicking folk.

Said this year and last that I'd be happy to sacrifice the league cup if it meant a good start to the league season. Hopefully lessons have been learned from the Livvy and Thistle games, namely that Reilly isn't a lone striker and we shouldn't be punting the ball forward for him to win in the air. Hopefully today should silence a few of the doubters after the league cup campaign and also answer a few other criticisms, such as Ross doesn't know how to turn things round when we go a goal down.

Only the third time this millennium we've won our opening league game and the first time since 2012 we've managed a league win before the end of August. Happy days :)

If Reilly plays like that every week, we will have landed an absolute gem. His work rate was outstanding, and he can play a bit too!

I thought Sutton was great today. A really excellent performance by the big man. We MUST keep him.

McGinn played the captain's role superbly. He absolutely bossed the midfield after the shaky first quarter.

Overall, I thought that was a cracking game of football. Great, morale boosting start to the season.

I'm loving my fitba again. Happy days! :)

1 minute ago, santaponsasaint said:

No. hes just the guy whos goal v Hibs that kept us in the league.

I was happy to applaud Loy today for previous services rendered. He showed us respect today and most of us showed him respect back.

22 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

Wretched start to the season for Falkirk.....

Indeed...

Went 1-0 up. Lost 3-1. Had a man sent off. Have lost a top player for weeks. Had to listen to us singing 'You're blue, you're white, you're absolutely shite, Falkirk Bairns, Falkirk Bairns...'

Carlsberg don't do wretched starts to a season, but if they did...

:booty

26 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

Loy went to hospital for a chest X-ray. Suspected fractured rib and a good few weeks on the sidelines. 

Wretched start to the season for Falkirk.....

Don't tell shull that since that defeat his pish about Loy diving :huh:

Thoroughly enjoyable 90 minutes. Big Sutton was superb. Dropped deeper and linked play up, great shift. Sure, we were off the pace early on, but aside from their goal, did Falkirk really threaten us? The late open goal miss from Miller aside? I was comfortable watching us today. Even at 0-1 I wasn't too worried. We were composed and stayed calm - and worked our way right back into it.

Smashing day out at the fitba'. 

You're blue, you're white.... :lol:

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Thoroughly enjoyable 90 minutes. Big Sutton was superb. Dropped deeper and linked play up, great shift. Sure, we were off the pace early on, but aside from their goal, did Falkirk really threaten us? The late open goal miss from Miller aside? I was comfortable watching us today. Even at 0-1 I wasn't too worried. We were composed and stayed calm - and worked our way right back into it.

Smashing day out at the fitba'. 

You're blue, you're white.... :lol:

Absolutely PB..Sutton was supberb today, he was so superb I mis-spelled it to draw attention to how superb or supberb he really was.  

We were a little rattled in the first 20 minutes after Samson's initial mistake but the lads did superbly well,  The new signngs impressed my somewhat and I will take this opportunity to repeat how pleased I am that Cammy Smith plays for us.  Gavin Reilly looks a player, as I stated elsewhere he works his plums off today and I like the look look of the lad.  

ETA I see I said works instead of worked but hey...today is a good day

Edited by TediousTom

Just now, southsidebud said:

Pretty annoyed with BBC website. Took ages for match report to come up and then it was only a couple of paragraphs and wrong. Obviously they didn't have anyone covering the game emoji35.png

i think Chico was there so you are correct there was no-one covering the game....

42 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Must say I was surprise at the low home support we had. Under 3500 for our 1st league game after a great finish to the end of last season. Hopefully lots of buds were still on holiday.

Lots just starting.

Loy looked to have landed badly and really hurt himself.

Classy Saints fans thought it was cool to abuse him at close quarters! Idiots.

Definitely a better finish to the half but Falkirk are so quick on the break and always looking dangerous.

Need a higher tempo and to press them higher up the pitch.

I feel for Smith, who is wasted on the wing.

Yeah, witnessed that myself from the South stand. I don't know if words were exchanged between Loy and the supporters but there were two supporters who were very irate to say the least. Very disappointing to see that verbal tirade aimed especially at an ex Saints player.

2 minutes ago, Russian Saint said:

Just watched JR's post match interview on YouTube, then watched this one from Peter Houston. Not sure what game he was at but insists Falkirk should have been four up?

Four up? They were lucky to be one-up. He's blue, he's white, he's clearly talking shite...

Four up? They were lucky to be one-up. He's blue, he's white, he's clearly talking shite...

In fairness they SHOULD have been 2 up and COULD have been 3 up before we decided to TURN up!

Once we stopped letting them dictate play it all changed but in fairness, I reckon they were so far ahead of us in the first 25 minutes that 3 or 4 would not have flattered them.

Taking the positive..
That makes our turn around and deserved win all the more sweet..
and impressive!