St Mirren v Falkirk SPFL Championship. 5/8/17

shull

29.07.17   Brechin Falkirk 0 : 3...W  
25.07.17   Falkirk Forfar Athletic 4 : 0...W  
22.07.17   Inverness Falkirk 0 : 2...W  
15.07.17   Falkirk Stirling 4 : 1...W  
06.07.17     Falkirk Mosonmagyarovari   

1 : 0...W

In comparison to us, Falkirk were very much an on form team. Five wins on the trot and lost only 2 in their last 14. If this is us with a makeshift team still finding our feet, then this season should be one to cherish.

The great thing is that almost every player is being nominated as MotM on here. Surely bodes well for the season.

ETA. I thought Samson turned in a MotM performance after a shaky start. Kept us in the game until we got our act together.

Edited by stlucifer

1 hour ago, Bart Simpson said:

Isn't it great to have a winning team. I wasn't there yesterday but a win from behind against one of the better teams in the league...could this be a special season ahead?

For all I disagree with TC at times good to see a balanced post summarising the game. For those who didn't hear it Alex Rae was on Off the Ball yesterday and was asked why JR was successful where he failed. he said his win rate was the same as Jack Ross' at present. Also said he still gets some stick from Saints fans. Blamed high squad turn over, change of board, lack of money, loss of x2 physios and Longwell for the relative lack of success comparatively with JR (after pointing out the win ratio first). I think we have to thank him for survival first time round but it is time to move on and accept that we seem to have a very special management team and squad at present and we should be looking forward and not back...

Good to know he's still hurting:lol:

Great start to the league season yesterday. Struggled in the first 20 minutes or so. Peter Houston was right to say that Falkirk could have scored more in that period, but 4-0 was maybe pushing it a bit. After Morgan switched wings, Saints started to find their feet and the equaliser certainly didn't come out of nothing. They had a good spell leading up to the goal. The two later goals were the result of taking chances well, which the players failed to do in some of the Betfred Cup games.

However I don't think we should get too carried away. For a team which has shown excellent form recently I thought Falkirk were disappointing. They seemed to fold fairly easily when things started going against them. I'm sure there are other teams in this league who will show more fight than that. Still, a fantastic start and we move on with increasing confidence to next week's derby.

COYS!! 

21 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

52 goals against Hibs. must have blinked 51 times. think you should read my post again.

I said Saints scored 52 goals to stay up. Every goal is just as important than the other. One goal didn't keep us up. Get real.  And surely you must have blinked more than 51 times? As the average person blinks over 28000 times per day, your eyes must be bloody killing you.

22 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

I said Saints scored 52 goals to stay up. Every goal is just as important than the other. One goal didn't keep us up. Get real.  And surely you must have blinked more than 51 times? As the average person blinks over 28000 times per day, your eyes must be bloody killing you.

He only blinks when he thinks................................:rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

It's former Falkirk and Saints player Jamie McGowan.

I made a complete bollocks of that tbf much as I did enjoy Jamie's car crash comment after their goal.  I meant the unbeatable fervour of the St Mirren TV co-commentator here

I said his goal v Hibs just to repeat myself. what part of that don't you understand.

2 hours ago, David Mc said:

I made a complete bollocks of that tbf much as I did enjoy Jamie's car crash comment after their goal.  I meant the unbeatable fervour of the St Mirren TV co-commentator here

I assumed that's who you meant. The Bairns TV folk were a pair of wallopers:lol:

6 minutes ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

Having watched the highlights a few times I feel the criticism of Samson is a bit harsh. He seems to have been caught out by the crossy shoty chippy thingy by Loy and as a result his feet aren't quite right resulting in him palming/ flapping at the ball. Give him a break.

In other words

He isnae a good Goalie.

He looked as if he was 3 feet tall trying in vain to stop that damn ball.

1 hour ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

Having watched the highlights a few times I feel the criticism of Samson is a bit harsh. He seems to have been caught out by the crossy shoty chippy thingy by Loy and as a result his feet aren't quite right resulting in him palming/ flapping at the ball. Give him a break.

I think this is a fair shout. It was a pretty audacious and speculative hit from Loy, and Samson wasn't on the goal line so had to stretch to palm the ball away.

I was sitting behind the goal, and from there it looked as though it should have been easy enough to knock it over the bar, but the highlights suggests it wasn't quite so straightforward.

Had he tried to guide it over, there is a danger that it might have sneaked in. I'd still class it as an error, but not as glaring as I'd initially thought.

18 minutes ago, Drew said:

I think this is a fair shout. It was a pretty audacious and speculative hit from Loy, and Samson wasn't on the goal line so had to stretch to palm the ball away.

I was sitting behind the goal, and from there it looked as though it should have been easy enough to knock it over the bar, but the highlights suggests it wasn't quite so straightforward.

Had he tried to guide it over, there is a danger that it might have sneaked in. I'd still class it as an error, but not as glaring as I'd initially thought.

At the time I thought Samson should have been able to deal with Loy's effort but maybe he was deceived by the flight of the ball and clawing it away may have been as much as he could have managed.

However he was then beaten by the follow-up at his near post by a piss poor powder puff floaty header that Shull's granny could have blocked.

Goalkeeping error IMO. Samson did well for the remaining 88 minutes.