What is our chances

We need three new first picks to make up the backbone of the team. Hopefully Davis is one, but a physical midfield anchor and a more mobile striker are much needed ! If we can get them in quickly and we don't fall off the pace early , we should be there or there abouts !

9 hours ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

You could argue that Reilly is an improvement on Loy he is certainly younger and Samson is much more experienced that O'Brien. Yes Mallan is a huge loss but in time McShane will be fine.

A fine exercise in claw strutching.

Which direction in time do we want McShae to go?  Towards Reilly or Samson?

I reckon with the addition of Davis, we're possibly a centre forward and centre mid away from being there or thereabouts as the squad stands at present. 

If we do cut Sutton loose though, I reckon it's quite important that we add another centre forward to replace him as well. That's where someone like Duffy hovering about the fringes of the squad wouldn't actually bother me. As long as we're not looking at him as the answer. 

If we lose Quinn it's not as important that we add additional centre mid as he's never available anyway.  

Edited by djchapsticks

Why would anybody listen to a yesterday man in Ian McCall [emoji38]   I don't think we will win the league but a play off position is a must or I would say the season would've been a failure. Final playoff dates are the 17th and 20th of May so don't go booking holidays for those dates :rolleyes:  oh and the Scottish cup final is on the 19th of May  :huh:

So we could be playing 17, 19 and 20 of May?

We just need to win the league outright so we are fresh for the final.

"What IS our chances...?"

certainly no chance of an honors degree in English Language.

Bluuuuuu-Toooooe..!

anyway, ignoring the ill-structured question... given our struggles against sides above and around us (Alloa included) in pre-season and the league cup i think come ten to five on Saturday we will have an inkling of what we are (note! Not 'is') about this season.

We need to be, and be seen as being 'competitive' and street-wise against the clubs fancied to be challenging. The confidence that was evident in most games towards the end of last season was built the hard way, but it shows what could be achieved if management and players get it right from the off.

any loss, first game of season at home to a challenger is psychologically a body blow that is (not 'are') hard to recover from, especially considering the amount and frequency of games you have against challengers in such a small league. Last season most of the league sussed out Rae, then Ross's game plans and were able to enforce their game on us, until a huge change in personnel and tactics was bedded in. You could see that it wouldnt have taken a lot to change our fortunes in a lot of the games in that torrid run Ross presided over, but we didn't have the players, and game to make that change.

Big judgement time for Ross now as he approaches 30 signings... can he put out a team that consistently closes, and can extend the gap on our rivals? There are no other cards to play, he has got to make his hand win, whether by luck, skill, bluster or bluff. A very intresting first nine lies ahead.

Edited by Lord Pityme

He is correct at this moment in time. We are weaker. The loss of Mallan is huge, and will be incredibly difficult to compensate for. Loy is a more accomplished and experienced striker than Reilly (although Reilly has a good scoring record at this level, and will score goals for us imo), Magennis is out injured. When we battered Ayr 6-2, we didn't have Davis though, so his return will make us stronger, as will the signing of a quality striker. We have a few players who are stepping up and need to prove themselves at this level, and who is to say some of them won't do just that?

We showed more application on Saturday, albeit against weaker opposition who allowed us to play. We need to earn the right to play against the better teams we encounter in the Championship, starting with Falkirk. More intensity in our play and a bit more physicality will do us a lot of good, and we must start with Sutton alongside Reilly, in the absence of a new striker. Made a big difference at the weekend and would make a difference against Falkirk too.

By the way Sutton will do a job and I'd be reluctant to let him go. I'd say adding another striker plus the two we have would be better but I'll imagine it's his wage that's the issue. As for quinn he has never been fit and when you have a tight squad you can't afford this

4 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

By the way Sutton will do a job and I'd be reluctant to let him go. I'd say adding another striker plus the two we have would be better but I'll imagine it's his wage that's the issue. As for quinn he has never been fit and when you have a tight squad you can't afford this

We could do with replacing Quinn with a combative holding midfielder. Easy to say, right enough. Why would he leave when still under contract and unlikely to attract many suitors guvnor his injury issues?

Hopefully he can maintain a level of fitness and contribute, though it doesn't look too promising just now.

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

We could do with replacing Quinn with a combative holding midfielder. Easy to say, right enough. Why would he leave when still under contract and unlikely to attract many suitors guvnor his injury issues?

Hopefully he can maintain a level of fitness and contribute, though it doesn't look too promising just now.

Quinn would only leave if we agreed a financial settlement, which would then impact on our budget for the summer in terms of wages. I think Sutton can contribute for us though, and it's a big call for Jack to get rid and replace, unless the new man does the business. I'm sure Jack will do the right thing...

3 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Quinn would only leave if we agreed a financial settlement, which would then impact on our budget for the summer in terms of wages. I think Sutton can contribute for us though, and it's a big call for Jack to get rid and replace, unless the new man does the business. I'm sure Jack will do the right thing...

I agree on Sutton. We've seen flashes of the player he was when here previously (I'm thinking especially about the Ayr away game).

As you say, we'd need to be confident that we were replacing him with someone who could be pretty much guaranteed to get more goals. A big shout to make.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I reckon with the addition of Davis, we're possibly a centre forward and centre mid away from being there or thereabouts as the squad stands at present. 

If we do cut Sutton loose though, I reckon it's quite important that we add another centre forward to replace him as well. That's where someone like Duffy hovering about the fringes of the squad wouldn't actually bother me. As long as we're not looking at him as the answer. 

If we lose Quinn it's not as important that we add additional centre mid as he's never available anyway.  

Is Sutton going as i keep reading hints of this. Im not bothered if he is as one of our high earners the goods are not being produced. 

Just now, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Is Sutton going as i keep reading hints of this. Im not bothered if he is as one of our high earners the goods are not being produced. 

Such is the chat. I'm not in the know or anything but I'm assuming if we want him gone, he'll go. A club like Ayr or Raith could take the punt on him. 

27 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Have I missed something re Davis? Lot of talk like he's signed or is definitely going to sign? He hasn't though has he?

I think 1st of Aug was the date being banded about . 

9 minutes ago, munoz said:

I think 1st of Aug was the date being banded about .

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, about 20 times. :lol:

Exactly. A date being "banded about". My point is does anyone who actually knows what they're talking about, know this for a fact.  Or is it one of those things that one person said and has since been "banded about" "about 20 times"?

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Exactly. A date being "banded about". My point is does anyone who actually knows what they're talking about, know this for a fact.  Or is it one of those things that one person said and has since been "banded about" "about 20 times"?

I suppose we'll find tomorrow . 

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

It's a fecking secret, hence no confirmation. :rolleyes: