Football Fans and Behaviour

15 minutes ago, Drew said:

So we can effectively make a  judgement on whether or not someone deserves the protection of the justice system based on how they look and present to us in a 10 or 20 minute snapshot?

Seriously?

That is precisely what prejudice is.

Will agree to disagree here Drew. Paisley has some real nutters working the drug world. Remember the Paisley Express doing a story on the drug scene going as far to put a name on the story. The Paisley Express building was burnt down to a shell  within a week. Panorama documentary interviewed a local drug taker. Within a week he was murderd. There are lots of scary stories to do with drugs in Paisley.  Have helped people in the past being attacked for no reason but if I thought anything was related to drugs would keep well clear. 

I can usually know I am picking up a Junkie before I even see them. 

On the Taxi Screen it shows passenger destination with the words " wait and return " following it. 

Wee problem with them, now and again is some spending 10, 20, maybe 50 or 100 pounds on their habit then coming back and finishing their journey then saying they are short for the full Taxi fare by maybe a pound or two and maybe more. 

Their priorities totally wrong. 

22 minutes ago, HSS said:

I'd stick with the same story.....I seen nothing.

You can't go changing stories if the circumstances change........that's illegal.

You would probably known if the "junkie" had died before the police interviewed you so no story to change?

It's easy to sit in the comfort of your own surroundings and state what you would do in this, or other dangerous circumstances.

You're the only one here who was in that situation and there's lots of factors to take into account.

I'll stay non committal as I couldn't really say.

6 minutes ago, shull said:

I can usually know I am picking up a Junkie before I even see them. 

On the Taxi Screen it shows passenger destination with the words " wait and return " following it. 

Wee problem with them, now and again is some spending 10, 20, maybe 50 or 100 pounds on their habit then coming back and finishing their journey then saying they are short for the full Taxi fare by maybe a pound or two and maybe more. 

Their priorities totally wrong. 

With my Compamy as soon as a customer mentions "wait and return" when booking their car they are told it's money upfront.This applies even to folk taking their kids to school then returning home.Obviously drivers know who to take money upfront from,it's not a difficult assesment to make.As I said earlier those going to purchase drugs (I'd better not call them junkies :rolleyes:) would be lost without a taxi.They want to get there,get their deal and get out again with the least hassle possible.McGills don't do that kind of service.

As I also said I have no problem driving them about but as soon as they leave my vehicle they are on their own.

30 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You would probably known if the "junkie" had died before the police interviewed you so no story to change?

It's easy to sit in the comfort of your own surroundings and state what you would do in this, or other dangerous circumstances.

You're the only one here who was in that situation and there's lots of factors to take into account.

I'll stay non committal as I couldn't really say.

Folk are entitled to make the call as they see fit, but if you post openly about it on a forum like this, don't be surprised if others respond - regardless of where they happen to be sitting.

I tend to adopt a there but for fortune approach to how I perceive drug users, alcoholics, beggars, etc, so try not to be too judgmental.  At the end of the day, this guy is someone's son, brother, father.  Who knows what his background has been.  He could have been brought up in care through no fault of his own, or perhaps served in the armed forces.  To simply label him a junkie and assume he lives in a different world doesn't sit too comfortably with me.

Edited by Drew

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

Folk are entitled to make the call as they see fit, but if you post openly about it on a forum like this, don't be surprised if others respond - regardless of where they happen to be sitting.

I tend to adopt a there but for fortune approach to how I perceive drug users, alcoholics, beggars, etc, so try not to be too judgmental.  At the end of the day, this guy is someone's son, brother, father.  Who knows what his background has been.  He could have been brought up in care through no fault of his own, or perhaps served in the armed forces.  To simply label him and junkie and assume he lives in a different world doesn't sit too comfortably with me.

I go with Drew on this but for the grace of God argument and try not to be judgemental. In both scenarios it looks like there is a willingness to take this sort of hire..knowing the likely reason. This doesn't exactly take the moral ground. If it's the fare that's the issue then I guess you take it up front. If it's the reason for the journey..............then I guess you have other things to consider. 

Guest TPAFKATS
First thing you think about when dealing with Gangland Glasgow,  Paisley or anywhere is the health of your family and yourself. 
Three Wise Monkeys and aw that. 

I don't want to wade through all the thread, however is this not the opposite of what you were suggesting earlier with regards to someone using racist language?

15 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Is taking a junkie to den to carry out a drug deal not aiding and abetting. Just asking like........I'm a bit naive around the drug taking and associated paraphernalia

Not when unbelievabley, quite a few come into your Cab and say they are going to pick up/drop off keys. 

I have never witnessed in 30 years an actual drug deal taking place. 

12 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

I don't want to wade through all the thread, however is this not the opposite of what you were suggesting earlier with regards to someone using racist language?

Read the post FFS. 

Its Funny people going for the moral high ground on this point, then happily drinking in a bar where the bar staff and publican want to sell As much of that drug as they can, to as many people as possible, then tell us its 'society's fault' when their customers go on to beat people to death, rape and rob etc...

Now that's condoning drug dealing in my book! 

HSS is only making a honest living in accordance with a few more laws than most of us have to abide by.

12 minutes ago, shull said:

Not when unbelievabley, quite a few come into your Cab and say they are going to pick up/drop off keys. 

I have never witnessed in 30 years an actual drug deal taking place. 

:lol:

I didn't realise how careless people were with keys until I started this job.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I tend to adopt a there but for fortune approach to how I perceive drug users, alcoholics, beggars, etc, so try not to be too judgmental.  At the end of the day, this guy is someone's son, brother, father.  Who knows what his background has been.  He could have been brought up in care through no fault of his own, or perhaps served in the armed forces.  To simply label him a junkie and assume he lives in a different world doesn't sit too comfortably with me.

FFS 

If I kidded on I was a helpless, hopeless, soapless and homeless junkie bassa, would Treehugger Drew stop ignoring me and let me kip in his Man Shed ?  :D

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Thats your call Bud and your right to believe that. 

My opinion is that when talking about Jakies & Junkies the massive majority  are Oxygen thieves who  are a drain on society .  

As i said previously , my exposure to them (both J & Js )has been limited but when our paths have crossed , the experiences have not been positive. Family members  assaulted , theft , intimidation and extreme anti social behaviour tends to influence my opinion of them . 

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I do think you are right, and I would like to think I wouldn't make any judgements as we don't know the whole background of anyone.

Having said that, I can understand why HSS did what he did. Being a taxi driver must be scary at times, so self preservation maybe becomes the priority.