Football Fans and Behaviour

8 minutes ago, Doakes said:

I remember years ago playing the old Rangers - Jean Claude Darcheville was playing on the wing and taking a few pelters from the North Bank. "You're just a fat Eddie Murphy" being chanted at him - but an older guy next to thought the words were - "you're just a fat hairy monkey". Queue everyone around him tapping him frantically on the shoulder before the steward caught on. I'm not sure that he meant it to be racist, as such, maybe just a generational thing... 

He had a cracking game and scored 2 of Rangers 3 goals. Very good player.

Anyway, to answer the point above. Sometimes it just requires a tap on the shoulder. If it continues to the point where you feel uncomfortable to be around them, then perhaps it's time to get some help. Certainly not the same as "caving someones head in with a brick", a strange line of argument imo.

I was just wondering how far you were going with the " no grassing ".

Your post above clears it up.

34 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

In all the pages of sniping back and forward I gave up the will to find the original point, if someone would like to tell me that would be great.  

On the point of racism I remember the first match I went to without parental supervision or the BGB (now known as the panda club, by the way BGB is a better name let's bring that back)  When I say i went myself, I went with a pal we were both nine and my old man was in the same stand but i digress...  The original Quitongo ripped us a new one while playing with Hamilton, I remember thinking what an unbelievable player he was. A guy in the same stand, stood up and showered him with abuse, I won't go into exactly what it was but it involved a certain peeling fruit and a reference to our animal cousins... A few people laughed and two went Ohhhhh.. That was about the whole of it.

A bit off topic but I always wondered who it was. So if you were a racist in the 90s and shouted at Jose Quitongo while sitting in the main stand on the left hand-side of the dugout, lower tier, you were a twat.  

My older two were in the BGB in the 1990's.

Hope you were all pals and didnae have any petty arguments. :D

4 minutes ago, shull said:

I was just wondering how far you were going with the " no grassing ".

Your post above clears it up.

As a rule of thumb... If it's just one comment in the heat of the moment, it's a tap on the shoulder. No need to grass. Always went by "sticks and stones" when it comes to words. Not on the same level as assault anyway. 

If it goes further and becomes genuine abuse, and you feel that it can't be self policed by others around you - then it becomes reportable, as a last resort 

1 minute ago, Doakes said:

As a rule of thumb... If it's just one comment in the heat of the moment, it's a tap on the shoulder. No need to grass. Always went by "sticks and stones" when it comes to words. Not on the same level as assault anyway. 

If it goes further and becomes genuine abuse, and you feel that it can't be self policed by others around you - then it becomes reportable, as a last resort 

That's fair enough and good dude. :)

1 hour ago, shull said:

My older two were in the BGB in the 1990's.

Hope you were all pals and didnae have any petty arguments. :D

I'm not sure why we weren't in the BGB that day. My mate and I ended up going to it until we were about 19. Cheap to get in... For the last six years of going we would just rock up 10 minutes before kick off and boost in with the kids. By the end we had usually been in the pub before and two foot taller than everyone else :lol: Loves a bargain! Eventually we got told where to go... That being the pay gates with the other adults. 

16 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I'm not sure why we weren't in the BGB that day. My mate and I ended up going to it until we were about 19. Cheap to get in... For the last six years of going we would just rock up 10 minutes before kick off and boost in with the kids. By the end we had usually been in the pub before and two foot taller than everyone else :lol: Loves a bargain! Eventually we got told where to go... That being the pay gates with the other adults. 

Miserable gits :P

2 hours ago, shull said:

In my world, it is perfectly acceptable to report criminality to the relevent authorities.

You see and adult assaulting a child.

You see a house getting robbed, even your own.

Many other mindless offences are available,

WHAT TO DO ?

Ignore ?

A good few years ago I got a hire from Feegie to Fulbar Rd.My passenger was what I would describe as a junkie.On the way I became aware of a car following us.When we got to FR my passenger got out my car and was set about by 2 guys with baseball bats from the car following us. I drove away.I seen the story in the Paisley Express 2 days later and the Polis were looking for witnesses.Another 2 days later I got a phone call from the Polis asking me to go in and see them.They'd got my details from my Taxi Company.Anyway I went in to see them and they asked me what I saw when I dropped the guy off.I told them I saw nothing and had driven away as soon as I dropped the guy off.They knew fine I was at it and tried their best to get me to be a witness as they were desperate to get the 2 guys done.I stuck to my story.

Why would I want to get involved in a Court case involving a junkie getting a ,probably,well deserved going over?He has his World,I have mine.

4 minutes ago, HSS said:

A good few years ago I got a hire from Feegie to Fulbar Rd.My passenger was what I would describe as a junkie.On the way I became aware of a car following us.When we got to FR my passenger got out my car and was set about by 2 guys with baseball bats from the car following us. I drove away.I seen the story in the Paisley Express 2 days later and the Polis were looking for witnesses.Another 2 days later I got a phone call from the Polis asking me to go in and see them.They'd got my details from my Taxi Company.Anyway I went in to see them and they asked me what I saw when I dropped the guy off.I told them I saw nothing and had driven away as soon as I dropped the guy off.They knew fine I was at it and tried their best to get me to be a witness as they were desperate to get the 2 guys done.I stuck to my story.

Why would I want to get involved in a Court case involving a junkie getting a ,probably,well deserved going over?He has his World,I have mine.

Options have to weighed up. 

And in that case, I would have done the same. 

And I have done the same in things I have seen in 30 years of driving a PH Cab. 

17 minutes ago, HSS said:

And there lies the rub. Not having a go, but by painting your passenger as 'a junkie' does suggest a predicate in your reasoning.

what if say the passenger was one of your own, in another taxi after a few drinks? Would you be understanding of that person claiming to have seen nowt?

maybe the person you say was 'a junkie' was targeted because he was known to have money on him, and an easy touch to rob?

for the record dont know what i would have done in your shoes,  if we all go by the code of 'we have other worlds' we cant be surprised if a.n. Other decides not to intervene/inform/ assist us when someone targets our vulnerability.

its a good case to guage anyones thoughts, what would any of us do in that situation where you are easily identifiable by people who dish out beatings???

edit: one of my brothers experienced same situations cab driving, including punters brandishing guns. No surprise he wasnt either for going down the road of putting himself up to be 'shot down'..

Edited by Lord Pityme

22 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

And there lies the rub. Not having a go, but by painting your passenger as 'a junkie' does suggest a predicate in your reasoning.

what if say the passenger was one of your own, in another taxi after a few drinks? Would you be understanding of that person claiming to have seen nowt?

maybe the person you say was 'a junkie' was targeted because he was known to have money on him, and an easy touch to rob?

for the record dont know what i would have done in your shoes,  if we all go by the code of 'we have other worlds' we cant be surprised if a.n. Other decides not to intervene/inform/ assist us when someone targets our vulnerability.

its a good case to guage anyones thoughts, what would any of us do in that situation where you are easily identifiable by people who dish out beatings???

edit: one of my brothers experienced same situations cab driving, including punters brandishing guns. No surprise he wasnt either for going down the road of putting himself up to be 'shot down'..

HSS did a personal safety assessment and did the right thing in my opinion. 

45 minutes ago, HSS said:

Jesus. There's a whole shed load of prejudice in there.

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

Jesus. There's a whole shed load of prejudice in there.

Working as a Taxi driver in Paisley I'm sure HSS  has the experience to make an assessment Drew whether someone takes drugs or not. Given the violence and murders that have taken place due to drugs I would have kept well away. 

41 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I suppose like IOBS says , he was simply  implementing a good & sensible assessment of the situation based on the knowledge of the situation at that time.

I dont envy a taxi drivers job at times. They dont know who the hell is getting into their cab and can spend the whole journey with a potential idiot sitting behind them, not knowing whether they are going to get paid , have a runner or a bottle over their head !!

So we can effectively make a  judgement on whether or not someone deserves the protection of the justice system based on how they look and present to us in a 10 or 20 minute snapshot?

Seriously?

That is precisely what prejudice is.

5 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I suppose like IOBS says , he was simply  implementing a good & sensible assessment of the situation based on the knowledge of the situation at that time.

I dont envy a taxi drivers job at times. They dont know who the hell is getting into their cab and can spend the whole journey with a potential idiot sitting behind them, not knowing whether they are going to get paid , have a runner or a bottle over their head !!

A good and sensible assessment:lol:

1 minute ago, Drew said:

So we can effectively make a  judgement on whether or not someone deserves the protection of the justice system based on how they look and present to us in a 10 or 20 minute snapshot?

Seriously?

That is precisely what prejudice is.

I`m not saying there was no prejudice, i simply asked which part you  objected to , thanks for clarifying.

Maybe he thought (quite rightly in my opinion ) that giving evidence against two people who possess Baseball bats but dont seem to play baseball and would rather knock seven shades of shit out of you for having the temerity to grass them up ( high probability !) was not a good judgement call.  I agree with him.

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

A good and sensible assessment:lol:

No , you are right to mock. If it had been a good assessment,  he should  have declined the hire. You are right. 

Mind you , perhaps he should have got out the cab & tried to reason with the culprits. :rolleyes:

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

7 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I`m not saying there was no prejudice, i simply asked which part you  objected to , thanks for clarifying.

Maybe he thought (quite rightly in my opinion ) that giving evidence against two people who possess Baseball bats but dont seem to play baseball and would rather knock seven shades of shit out of you for having the temerity to grass them up ( high probability !) was not a good judgement call.  I agree with him.

That's not how I interpreted the post.  

It wasn't so much about self-preservation, but about a judgement being made that the guy was a 'junkie', and therefore probably had the serious assault coming.  In any event, it mattered not, as they apparently live in different worlds.  

I'm assuming those different worlds shared the same currency, however, and HSS was happy to accept the fare:rolleyes:

Edited by Drew

3 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

No , you are right to mock. If it had been a good assessment,  he should  have declined the hire. You are right. 

I have no problem with having junkies as passengers mate.They always offer money up front and give you no problems as they know they are f'ked if banned from the taxis.

If only they could do something about the stupid way they talk.

3 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Just for talking sake what would you have done if the junkie had lost his life from the beating

Thoughts

I'd stick with the same story.....I seen nothing.

You can't go changing stories if the circumstances change........that's illegal.

Just now, HSS said:

I have no problem with having junkies as passengers mate.They always offer money up front and give you no problems as they know they are f'ked if banned from the taxis.

If only they could do something about the stupid way they talk.

Fair do Bud.

My contact / experience with Junkies has perhaps not been as great as yours but  from my albeit limited experience , is 100%  negative. Those i have come across have been objectionable individuals , on occasion dangerous & violent and untrustworthy in the extreme.  I wouldn`t have them in my car but can understand if it is your livelihood and you know how to handle them.