In Through The Out Door

Bud the Baker

Just been re-listening to what is probably Led Zeppelin's least well regarded elpee ITTOD.  It was originally packaged in a plain brown paper bag with the title & band name downplayed - perhaps appropriate when considering it's subsequent fate. It's the one where John Paul Jones has the greatest input with the other three struggling to recover from addiction/family tragedies. In the wake of Punk/New Wave it was not well received by us longhairdos and was subsequently dissed by the other band members two of whom I've quoted below.

Following the album's release, Plant, Page and Bonham all expressed reservations about the record. In 1990 Plant stated:

In Through The Out Door wasn't the greatest thing in the world, but at least we were trying to vary what we were doing, for our own integrity's sake. Of all the [Led Zeppelin] records, it's interesting but a bit sanitised because we hadn't been in the clamour and chaos for a long time. In '77, when I lost my boy, I didn't really want to go swinging around—"Hey hey mama say the way you move" didn't really have a great deal of import any more. In Through The Out Door is more conscientious and less animal.[29]

In a 1998 Guitar World magazine interview, Page was asked about the paradigm shift of the album's composition and style:

GW: I thought maybe you were losing your enthusiasm for the band.

Page: Never. Never. In fact, Bonzo [i.e. drummer John Bonham] and I had already started discussing plans for a hard-driving rock album after that. We both felt that In Through the Out Door was a little soft. I was not really very keen on "All My Love". I was a little worried about the chorus. I could just imagine people doing the wave and all of that. And I thought, 'That is not us. That is not us.' In its place it was fine, but I would not have wanted to pursue that direction in the future.[30]

I beg to disagree with JP and in fact really like All My Love is one of my fave Zep choons - am I in a minority of one?

PS - Is that Bonzo using gated reverb at the start of the track two years before Phil Collins invented it?

Edited by Bud the Baker

16 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I would like to helpfully and constructively point out that Led Zeppelin were shite. As are/were AC/DC and all other tuneless screechy oiks of their ilk. 

Robert Plant's voice make me want to do violence on him.

And the thick twats didn't even know how to spell Lead. :P

Sounds to me like you're Def as a Leppard! :headbang

Not my favourite Zeppelin album, but have a soft spot for it as it reminds me of seeing them at Knebworth in 1979 when 'In Through the Out Door' was released. Incidentally, my favourite Zeppelin album is 'Houses of the Holy', followed by 'Presence' at No2 and 'Physical Graffiti' at No3.

Edited by pozbaird

I love an economic, wry lyric and you'll go a long way to beat 'I took her love at seventeen, A little late these days it seems, But they said heaven is well worth waiting for' from 'Hot Dog'. And I just love the rhythm and simplicity of 'Fool In The Rain'.

Not that a single funk is given by anyone, 'Physical Graffiti' takes the No1 spot for me.

I was at Knebworth '79 too. Anyone want to pay Peter Grant-sized amounts of money for a very good condition programme? 

7 hours ago, 26-59-87-13 said:

I love an economic, wry lyric and you'll go a long way to beat 'I took her love at seventeen, A little late these days it seems, But they said heaven is well worth waiting for' from 'Hot Dog'. And I just love the rhythm and simplicity of 'Fool In The Rain'.

Not that a single funk is given by anyone, 'Physical Graffiti' takes the No1 spot for me.

I was at Knebworth '79 too. Anyone want to pay Peter Grant-sized amounts of money for a very good condition programme? 

I've still got the original programme and event T Shirt boxed in the loft. As I don't have kids, I'm going to hand them down to my brother's two kids, and pass some stuff of that ilk I own to a new generation. This means the kids are going to inherit a copy of the 'Final Chapter' autographed on the cover by John Potter, Stewart Gilmour, Gus MacPherson and Andy Millen. I wanted to get the captain, chairman, manager and assistant manager of the club at the time of the move. Goodness knows what they'll make of this stuff, but I want the wee basturts' to take good care of it! :lol:

On 7/31/2017 at 4:57 PM, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I would like to helpfully and constructively point out that Led Zeppelin were shite. As are/were AC/DC and all other tuneless screechy oiks of their ilk. 

And the thick twats didn't even know how to spell Lead:P

Led is the past participle of the verb "to lead". That's the second part of your argument that is incorrect. Go and visit a Mr. J Hutton for your well earned boot in the cheenies. :byebye :headbang

1 hour ago, Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes said:

Led is the past participle of the verb "to lead". That's the second part of your argument that is incorrect. Go and visit a Mr. J Hutton for your well earned boot in the cheenies. :byebye :headbang

Don't come your intellectual pish wi me. I'm the clever wan roon here. :lol:

You about for the Falkirk game mate? Me and the aforementioned Mr. H are up for the game. Would be good to catch up for a beer. Been a long time. 

31 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Don't come your intellectual pish wi me. I'm the clever wan roon here. :lol:

You about for the Falkirk game mate? Me and the aforementioned Mr. H are up for the game. Would be good to catch up for a beer. Been a long time. Been a long time. Been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time.

Rock'n'Roll!

Edited by Bud the Baker

4 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Rock'n'Roll!

Yaaaay!! I see what you did there. You turned my comment into a lyric from a song by some tuneless screechy oiks! :P

Seriously though, what is so good about LZ and their like? 

I like to think that few people would have a more eclectic musical taste than me, but heavy rock/metal is literally the only musical genre which I will not give a second of my time to.

pop, indie, soul, funk, jazz, country, punk, reggae, all fine by me. But you can ram your heavy metal. 

19 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Yaaaay!! I see what you did there. You turned my comment into a lyric from a song by some tuneless screechy oiks! :P

I like to think that few people would have a more eclectic musical taste than me, but heavy rock/metal is literally the only musical genre which I will not give a second of my time to.

pop, indie, soul, funk, jazz, country, punk, reggae, all fine by me. But you can ram your heavy metal. 

You may well be right, but you're outnumbered on this thread.

26 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Eclectic taste? I love rock like Led Zeppelin, Rush, Foo Fighters... newer rock bands like Silversun Pickups, Stone Sour... alternative rock bands like Wolf Alice, country artists - Little Big Town, Sugarland, Lady Antebellum.... Bruce Springsteen-esque rock/singer songwriters like Will Hoge, Jon McLaughlin, Matt Wertz. Ambient bands like School of Seven Bells, Zero 7... new wave bands - Sex Pistols, The Saints, Ramones. Artists that are very hard to pigeonhole - Paul Weller, Oasis, Paul Kelly, Metric, Phantogram, Charlatans, Hoovertronic.... could go on all day... Black Mountain, City & Colour...

an old heavy metal fart like me an like a ton of stuff!

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Eclectic taste? I love rock like Led Zeppelin, Rush, Foo Fighters... newer rock bands like Silversun Pickups, Stone Sour... alternative rock bands like Wolf Alice, country artists - Little Big Town, Sugarland, Lady Antebellum.... Bruce Springsteen-esque rock/singer songwriters like Will Hoge, Jon McLaughlin, Matt Wertz. Ambient bands like School of Seven Bells, Zero 7... new wave bands - Sex Pistols, The Saints, Ramones. Artists that are very hard to pigeonhole - Paul Weller, Oasis, Paul Kelly, Metric, Phantogram, Charlatans, Hoovertronic.... could go on all day... Black Mountain, City & Colour...

an old heavy metal fart like me an like a ton of stuff!

Of the bands you mentioned there, Wolf Alice, Zero 7, Paul Weller and the Charlatans all get the thumbs up. I don't mind a few Foo Fighters songs but probably just the more melodic ones. Long  Road to Ruin for example.

However, (caveated by the fact that there's a few bands there I don't recognise) of the ones I do know I wouldn't necessarily say that was a massively eclectic mix.

if I was to put my music on shuffle, it would be possible for me to be listening to Radiohead, ABBA, Simon and Garfunkel, The Smiths, R.E.M., Billy Jo Spears, The Cure, Richie Cole, The Buzzcocks and Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 one after the other. That's eclectic. :lol:

On 31/07/2017 at 4:57 PM, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

And the thick twats didn't even know how to spell Lead. :P

The reason they changed the spelling to Led is that if they had left it as Lead people who were reading it wouldn't know if it was pronounced lead or lead. 

4 hours ago, Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes said:

56 minutes ago, uhura said:

The reason they changed the spelling to Led is that if they had left it as Lead people who were reading it wouldn't know if it was pronounced lead or lead. 

Oooft HHiBSS!! Uhuru offering up a more basic version of events than you. Are you having that?

Of course it's at this point I should make it absolutely clear that my point about them not knowing how to Lead was tongue in cheek. :booty

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Of the bands you mentioned there, Wolf Alice, Zero 7, Paul Weller and the Charlatans all get the thumbs up. I don't mind a few Foo Fighters songs but probably just the more melodic ones. Long  Road to Ruin for example.

However, (caveated by the fact that there's a few bands there I don't recognise) of the ones I do know I wouldn't necessarily say that was a massively eclectic mix.

if I was to put my music on shuffle, it would be possible for me to be listening to Radiohead, ABBA, Simon and Garfunkel, The Smiths, R.E.M., Billy Jo Spears, The Cure, Richie Cole, The Buzzcocks and Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 one after the other. That's eclectic. :lol:

I couldn't list all the different stuff I like... REM? Own all their albums and saw them live in Glasgow on the 1985 Green tour, and also in Toronto. Radiohead - love all their stuff up to OK Computer. ABBA - love them. My favourite song is 'Eagle'. Classical? I adore the work of Igor Stravinsky, in particular the Firebird Suite.

The only music I really don't like is rap and jazz. Rap and jazz are shite. :)

Even then, I like Eminem's 'Lose Yourself'. The only vaguely rap song I like, but it's a belting track.

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I couldn't list all the different stuff I like... REM? Own all their albums and saw them live in Glasgow on the 1985 Green tour, and also in Toronto. Radiohead - love all their stuff up to OK Computer. ABBA - love them. My favourite song is 'Eagle'. 

The only music I really don't like is rap and jazz. Rap and jazz are shite. :)

Even then, I like Eminem's 'Lose Yourself'. The only vaguely rap song I like, but it's a belting track.

Green Tour was 1989 Poz. I saw them at Portsmouth Guild Hall on the same day as the Liverpool v Everton cup final after Hillsborough and then again later in the tour at Wembley Arena. Probably my favourite live band. Agree on Radiohead. Haven't bought anything since ok computer. Same with R.E.M. thoigh. I never bought anything after Monster which I thought was shite. I thought the writing was on the wall with Out of Time, but then they came storming back with Automatic for the People. Monster though was a poor album though so I chucked it there. I have since bought Reveal and New Adventures in Hi-Fi, but I bought them retrospectively, not when they were released.

Glad you like ABBA. So rare to meet a fella prepared to admit that despite the fact that I hold the (some might say arrogant) view that anyone who says they don't like ABBA is basically a liar. Eagle is indeed a great track and reminds me very much of my childhood. ABBA the Album featured regularly on our "music centre". Also like Move On from the same album.

Sort of with you on rap but I could certainly name more than one track I like. 

Latin Jazz is great and reminds me of Paris in the early to mid 80s. Check out out Carnival by John Handy for example. Great track. Not a fan of Trad Jazz though. 

8 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Green Tour was 1989 Poz. I saw them at Portsmouth Guild Hall on the same day as the Liverpool v Everton cup final after Hillsborough and then again later in the tour at Wembley Arena. Probably my favourite live band. Agree on Radiohead. Haven't bought anything since ok computer. Same with R.E.M. thoigh. I never bought anything after Monster which I thought was shite. I thought the writing was on the wall with Out of Time, but then they came storming back with Automatic for the People. Monster though was a poor album though so I chucked it there. I have since bought Reveal and New Adventures in Hi-Fi, but I bought them retrospectively, not when they were released.

Glad you like ABBA. So rare to meet a fella prepared to admit that despite the fact that I hold the (some might say arrogant) view that anyone who says they don't like ABBA is basically a liar. Eagle is indeed a great track and reminds me very much of my childhood. ABBA the Album featured regularly on our "music centre". Also like Move On from the same album.

Sort of with you on rap but I could certainly name more than one track I like. 

Latin Jazz is great and reminds me of Paris in the early to mid 80s. Check out out Carnival by John Handy for example. Great track. Not a fan of Trad Jazz though. 

Sorry mate, typo' on my part on the Green dates. I like a lot of pop stuff aside from Abba. I admit to owning, and loving, 'Don't Stop Moving' by S Club 7, and I own stuff by Britney, Lady Gaga (she's brilliant), and all sorts - Robbie, Take That....

33 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Sorry mate, typo' on my part on the Green dates. I like a lot of pop stuff aside from Abba. I admit to owning, and loving, 'Don't Stop Moving' by S Club 7, and I own stuff by Britney, Lady Gaga (she's brilliant), and all sorts - Robbie, Take That....

:lol:

i will confess to owning some Lady Gaga (who I agree is brilliant) but I'm drawing the line at S Club 7. :D

18 hours ago, pozbaird said:

REM? Own all their albums and saw them live in Glasgow on the 1985 Green tour,

Green came out in 1988 and the subsequent tour saw them play Glasgow in 1989. Fables of the Reconstruction was 1985.

Edited to add:-

Just seen you've already been corrected on this one.

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes