Morton v Saints 12 August

Terrible accident on M8 at St James. Just passed the unfortunate driver of what looks like a quad style bike covered at the side of the road, obviously a fatality. 

Puts today's result in perspective. 

Safe trip home. 

Edited by davidg

Hard to judge as the sending off obviously left us open to the counter.

Got to say that I actually thought that it was our ball for the throw in that led to their first penalty.

Collum gave the throw to us initially but changed his mind after a late flag from the linesman who seemed to be influenced by the shouts of Duffy and the 'ton fans in the stand.

Agree with DavidG. Seeing what we did on the M8 puts it in to perspective.

poor performance overall. Didn't dominate, set pieces poor and tried to overload on the left which they worked out.

only bright spark was the performance of Ross Stewart. Like the look of him, potential there. 

Wasnt there today so cant comment on the performance, looking at the league and its teams so far over two games we dont seem yet to have cracked on from last season. Falkirk look similar to us fading, Dundee Utd and Dunfermline look early contenders we seem to be in with the rest, with only ICT looking as stick on relegation fodder.

Dumbarton, Livi and now Brechin look capable of troubling anyone, it looks like another long grind, on the plus side time a plenty for anyone to hit a slump, or rich vein of form.

Sore one. When we play Sutton the back four always pump high balls up to him - tactics or habit? We didn't play to our strengths which is on the deck. Morgan in particular did not look interested. But not many get pass marks today.  Sammy maybe for his fantastic save in the first half. Smith's goal was tremendous. But on to next week. We were never going to win every game this season :)

Nothing. I was behind the goal (up at the back though) and never saw anything. There were a lot of young guys jumping about but I did not see anyone jump over the wall although it could have happened but certainly only a few people if it did.

St Mirren manager Jack Ross: "At the time I thought the first one looked like a penalty. I don't know but I don't think the player needs to make the challenge. When you go to ground you run the risk of giving away a penalty and it wasn't a sensible decision by Jack [Baird].

"I thought as a whole back four we were very poor today. Middle to front we were fine today and created opportunities. Cammy's strike is indicative of how he's been the last few weeks.

"It's very early in the season but there's a lot of things we need to do better."

1 minute ago, RossCSmfc said:

Anyone know what happened to the guy that got stretchered off from our stand? Hope he's ok.

How f**king shite are McShane's corners, by the way?

It was a policeman. Looked like he had suffered a stroke. Hope he's ok. Got a decent round of applause going off 

Absolute shambolic performance all round, no player with pass marks today for me. We were second to every ball and didn't look interested.

The McGinn / McShane partnership in the middle of the park just doesn't work for me... the sooner Magennis is back the better. We were so slow today and could hardly make a pass, resorted to playing long balls when it never works for us, we hurt teams with our passing and moving but never seen that at all today.

Jack Baird had a bit of a nightmare today, albeit MacKenzie hung him out to dry resulting in the second penalty.

Can't take any positives from the game, just need to hope it was a bad day at the office and move on to next Saturday.

No complaints from me, we were simply beaten by a better team, both penalty's looked like the correct decision's as 

well as the sending off although it was a horrendous pass from McKenzie that left Jack in the shit, was also baffled with 

the high ball tactics it was dreadful, we deserved everything we got from the game...Fcuk all. 

Turning point was Duffy going mental at Collum for a throw in, he changes his mind and they take a quick throw leading to a foot race between Baird and Quitongo which results in the penalty. 

In the last 10 mins Collum tried to even things up by giving us loads of nothing free kicks so if you look at the papers tomorrow it will look like each team got a similar amount of decisions. 

The second penalty Jack knows he can't make a challenge and the Morton player looked to go down.

We weren't good enough but without the two penalties and the sending off I think Morton would have huffed and puffed all day. 

48 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Nothing. I was behind the goal (up at the back though) and never saw anything. There were a lot of young guys jumping about but I did not see anyone jump over the wall although it could have happened but certainly only a few people if it did.

There were definitely a few over the wall near where Cammy Smith and the players were celebrating.

40 minutes ago, Sonny said:

St Mirren manager Jack Ross: "At the time I thought the first one looked like a penalty. I don't know but I don't think the player needs to make the challenge. When you go to ground you run the risk of giving away a penalty and it wasn't a sensible decision by Jack [Baird].

"I thought as a whole back four we were very poor today.

Can't really argue with that. With the first penalty, Baird had forced Quitongo wide narrowing the angle so why dive in?  Was it poor decision-making or is he just clumsy? Same for the second to be honest. Why not just let him get his shot away rather than foul him? 

As Baird went down the tunnel he was shaking his head and looking at JR.; JR wouldn't look him in the eye. Might be awhile before the big man starts another game.....

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Duffy was right to go mad about that throw as it was clearly their ball. Typical of our luck what developed from it!

From my position it was difficult to tell what the right decision was but I'm certain both the ref and the linesman changed their minds after Duffy and his benched reaction. We didn't react quick enough and lost a stupid goal from a position that we really should have been able to defend. 

I didn't think we'd win the league after the Falkirk result and I don't think today's gubbing means we're a shite team. We should be able to finish top 4 with our squad but they need to apply themselves every game. We'll be strong at home but I think away games are going to be a challenge if we can't start to defend properly.

Thankfully, Eckersley and Davis will make a difference.

Bad performance, still don't think the second penalty should have been given and that changed the game. Still, this is one of the most competitive championships in a long time, United are favourites but outside of them every team is capable of beating every other team.

22 minutes ago, DLBud said:

I didn't think we'd win the league after the Falkirk result and I don't think today's gubbing means we're a shite team. We should be able to finish top 4 with our squad but they need to apply themselves every game. We'll be strong at home but I think away games are going to be a challenge if we can't start to defend properly.

Thankfully, Eckersley and Davis will make a difference.

Whit? No "super Stelios"....................:lol:

We did not play our normal game ball on the deck so what's with the long ball. It was a scrappy battle where Morton came out best. Shit journey home until I met some Rangers fans on the ferry so I feel a bit better now. 

Every player was off their game today. However I was sitting front of main stand and said to my brother that the grass was really long. The passing and touch was terrible and I wonder if the longer grass had anything to do with it.
We move on !!