Liam Smith - 1 year loan

Drew

1 hour ago, santaponsasaint said:

played against us last year for Raith.

He only played two games for Raith in September (v Dumbarton and Morton) before being recalled by Hearts, for whom he played until the end of the season making 19 appearances.

6 hours ago, foxbar_bud said:

Happy with this, hearts fan in work said he's been decent anytime he's had chance.

Would think that one or two would need to be shipped out now. Squad looking bigger than it has for a good while

It looks that way. Good chance a few players will spend most of the season sitting in the stand without even getting near the bench, most likely the signings made really early on.

We tried him mid left once and he was honking because he wasn't able to run at players.

While he didn't have the same impact from left mid it was still his trickery that day that freed up Cammy Smith (I think) who in turn played in McGennis to score our goal.

At the time I didn't think him being hooked was fair and I don't think honking is a fair description of how he played either imo.

While he didn't have the same impact from left mid it was still his trickery that day that freed up Cammy Smith (I think) who in turn played in McGennis to score our goal.

At the time I didn't think him being hooked was fair and I don't think honking is a fair description of how he played either imo.

Torally ineffectual and wasted?

Personally, I prefer the one word description.

41 minutes ago, munoz said:

At least my post was accurate, unlike your ramblings about a Saints legend. 

That's fine. 

Says more about you and your 6 likers than it does about me. 

• 1 month later...

I've been impressed with him so far but maybe hadn't realised just how much he contributes. I just watched some of the game back on iPlayer, have to say, he was at the heart of most of our positive play yesterday. Involved in both goals and pretty solid defensively. Looking like a great bit of business so far.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Hmmm.. time may be right to offer to takes Liam's wages on and do Hertz a favour..?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41762384

Would be a good move, would also cement our long standing love in with the Hertz fans......did we not do them a huge favour in '85-'86 :whistle

• 1 month later...

On-loan St Mirren star Liam Smith hopes he won’t be driving home this Christmas – because he wants to stay at Saints all season.

The full-back is on loan from Hearts having a penned a season-long deal in August. However, the Jambos hold the right to recall the Scotland Under-21 internationalist in the coming weeks.

Hearts have already put the buffers on Smith featuring for the Buddies in the Scottish Cup so he doesn’t get cup-tied, however Smith is adamant that he wants to stay with Jack Ross’ side as they look to continue their promotion push.

Smith told the Paisley Daily Express: “From my point of view, I am playing games here and playing in a team challenging for a title and I wouldn’t want to leave that.

“I don’t think Hearts could guarantee that I would play the same amount of games that I am getting here. The main reason I came on loan to St Mirren was to get games so, to me, there is no point in that stopping half way through the season.

“There is a clause in the deal that they have a certain amount of time to recall me – we are just trying to sort that out at the moment and find out what they are planning on doing.

“They send people to watch me most weeks and I get contact from them now and again. I know they watch clips of the games and things like that. I’m just looking to do well in every game for St Mirren, that is my main focus at the moment.”

Smith has been a staple of a St Mirren side that continues to be in impressive form this season.

Saturday’s 1-0 win at the expense of Dunfermline moved the Buddies back to the top of the league after Dundee United’s clash with Queen of the South was abandoned at half-time in Dumfries.

He insists the mood in the camp is a positive one as they too prepare themselves for a jaunt to Palmerston to face Queens this Saturday. And with the opportunity to see in Santa at the top of the table, the 21-year-old says hopes are high.

He added: “We went into the game looking for the three points on Saturday and we knew there was a possibility that it could take us back to the top of the league. All in all, I think it is a great win for us against a very difficult side to beat.

“Our form shows the sort of resilience and determination that we have as a squad to go on and achieve something this year. When you look at the run of games we have, you quickly realise you don’t have an easy game in this league.

“We spoke before the game and something we said was if we won then it would open up a bigger gap between us and Dunfermline.

“Every game that comes, you are looking to push yourself further up and knock the teams around you further away.”