Liam Smith - 1 year loan

Drew

32 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Not true Paul McGinn is coming on too his game you are being overly harsh. However as back up Liam would be a good option but don't think that's what he is looking for. Ayr are a club on the up that will be good for Liam. 

It's not meant to be harsh on McGinn but I do think Smith is better than him. 

It's not meant to be harsh on McGinn but I do think Smith is better than him. 
They have different strengths. Liam is great going forward but definitely suspect at the back and was responsible for a number of goals we lost last season. Paul is not as aggressive going forward can deliver a good cross. He is a much better defender with superior positional awareness (experience)
I believe they could challenge each other for that slot - both would have a decent shot of startong depending on who the opposition is.

5 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

They have different strengths. Liam is great going forward but definitely suspect at the back and was responsible for a number of goals we lost last season. Paul is not as aggressive going forward can deliver a good cross. He is a much better defender with superior positional awareness (experience)
I believe they could challenge each other for that slot - both would have a decent shot of startong depending on who the opposition is.

Aye, noticed that against Sunderland.:huh:

Liam Smith was outstanding last Season.

Our back four including him, entirely responsible for the many clean sheets.

Doubt we can afford two quality right backs though.

Paul McGinn  is a great talent and wont let us down.

Liam Smith was outstanding last Season.
Our back four including him, entirely responsible for the many clean sheets.
Doubt we can afford two quality right backs though.
Paul McGinn  is a great talent and wont let us down.

Well surely we need two? If McGinn gets injured or suspended, who plays right back?

Would be delighted to have Liam Smith back at the club. He knows his way around the club and also well-acquainted with the players who are still here from last season.

As has been stated above, he was an important part of a strong back four last year, was also strong in attack and contributed at least a couple of great goals from distance that I remember. Not surprising that he has been part of Scotland's Under-21 squad. However, he may prefer Ayr as it gives him the same kind of environment as he had with us last season  -  a team on the way up, where he will get opportunities to push forward and be an attacking full-back.

Always wary of going back the way, unless there has been a noted change!

so bit like Shankland, not fit, seemingly lost interest, then... turns his life round, fit as a racing snake, banging goals left, right and centre. We need him!

Liam Smith..? To be honest he was ok in most games, but crumbled against more physical teams like Livi, Dun Utd, Morton and Dunfermline... so i would pass on that basis as he's probably now as good as he's gonna get.

9 hours ago, billyg said:

He was certainly a first pick for us in the championship , but when we’ve got some more defending to do then I’m not so sure , you would think Hearts would keep him if they thought he was up to it. RB is a key problem position for us right now imo .

I agree.

Although Smith had a very good season for us, I'm not 100% convinced that he has the quality required to perform with the consistency that we will require this season.

As another has said, I reckon that P.McGinn and Smith are of a similar quality, albeit they have different qualities.  If we're going to sign another full back, which I think we need, then the signing has to be beter than Smith IMO.

Edited by FTOF

15 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I agree.

Although Smith had a very good season for us, I'm not 100% convinced that he has the quality required to perform with the consistency that we will require this season.

As another has said, I reckon that P.McGinn and Smith are of a similar quality, albeit they have different qualities.  If we're going to sign another full back, which I think we need, then the signing has to be beter than Smith IMO.

I would be (very pleasantly) surprised if we could sign a player who we could be confident is an upgrade on both Smith and McGinn.

Smith would be an excellent acquisition. He is one of the half dozen or so players from our league winning squad who I believed was more than ready to make the step-up.

Unless Hearts are willing to sell him and we have the cash to buy him this won't happen. He won't be going on loan to a rival team in the same league where he would not be guaranteed a start - totally defeats the point of the loan.  If he is for sale then fine but everything from hearts suggests he isn't hence the talk of Ayr on loan where he would be guaranteed game time when fit.

McGinn's crossing was excellent on Saturday - two goals came from his crossing. Liam often overhit his crosses. I would not say Liam's crossing was substantially better that Paul's. Would like to have both players in the squad as they offer something slightly different from each other.

10 minutes ago, Sonny said:

McGinn's crossing was excellent on Saturday - two goals came from his crossing. Liam often overhit his crosses. I would not say Liam's crossing was substantially better that Paul's. Would like to have both players in the squad as they offer something slightly different from each other.

You can tell Stubbzo has set his stall out to field a solid, robust back line, and unfortunately that doesn't include a player like Liam whocould wander way up the park against wee teams, and see us pumped  By Livi, twice by Falkirk and once by Dun Utd, Morton etc, and anytime we met a premier team last season.

or back line wobbled on both flanks last year, hence why Stelios, Eckersley and Liam aint in the picture anymore. Time to accept that and move on.

11 hours ago, Sonny said:

One goal came from his crossing.

12 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Yea that was a terrible cross for Cammy Smith to head his goal in :rolleyes:

Worrying signs on here that many think a run out against a piss poor Dumbarton prepares us for Premier League opposition.  We are in for a rough time if we don't strengthen soon.  Sadly it seems the budget for that has been blown already.

Edited by Kemp

8 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Sadly it seems the budget for that has been blown already.

How so? Stubbs has already said another 2 definitely will come in, realistically 4 new faces though. 

Surely that can't be done with a fully blown budget? 

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

How so? Stubbs has already said another 2 definitely will come in, realistically 4 new faces though. 

Surely that can be done with a fully blown budget? 

Indeed. We need about 8 players to have a squad able to compete.

The squad at present will be pumped most weeks . No goals in it and no pace which is crucial . I know the gaffer wants new blood let’s hope he gets them and soon. Remembering we lost 20 players So I can’t believe you will go into a higher league and not add depth ? To be honest the team at present is weaker than last seasons. The chat about top six is gone S the board realise the big boys are all far stronger than they were three years ago when we went down. They have invested and so have other clubs who will be bottom six. It’s worrying though if all we have is two extra guys to come in. Can you imagine this team at Ibrox in ten days? It will be awful . Ross Stewart , Kirkpatrick, Macpherson , King and Cooke are part of the squad as is mcshane who is good on the ball but lacks pace . Simply as it stands we are going to struggle big time