St Mirren v Heart of Midlothian Colts. Challenge Cup Rd 2

shull

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:52 AM, djchapsticks said:

The difference between this and the folk expressing their concern overs colt teams last season is that we didn't actually draw a colt team. 

Personally, I might well give this one a miss. I don't like the idea that this is a feeler competition for introducing colt teams into the league structure based in the fact that Spain and Germany do it and they do OK for themselves. 

It's a cheap and easy cop out from the SPFL/SFA who are utterly devoid of ideas. 

I'd rather they expanded the option to allow some more Highland and lowland league sides in to give them a wee chance. No one gains anything from playing Partick thistles or Ross County's  under 20 side. 

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Had it been midweek, I'd have certainly given this a miss as I'm not interested in giving up my nights to watch us playing a reserve side of a club we've routinely dished out shoeings to in the cups down the years. 

Saturday at 3, I'm generally up to heehaw though so this may just get my attention much as it pains me. 

I think the fact it's a Saturday will, like you, see more attend than initially said they wouldn't.

6 minutes ago, pod said:

Or maybe it's because you love supporting your team. :)

Correct, I really do. But like I said, we're in our position through no-one's fault but our own but it's a completely hollow feeling given how often we've dispatched of Hearts from national cup competitions in recent years.

I'd genuinely much rather watch us play a Junior side in a competitive match than a Premier League's reserve side. I reckon the prospect of St. Mirren vs a side like Pollock or Arthurlie in a competitive environment would certainly drum up more interest than Hearts (or any team's) reserves.

As I've said before, it's a cynical and glaringly obvious plan by the powers at Hampden to trial run this lazy 'Colts' in the league idea. Thankfully, almost every senior club in the last two seasons has played their part by dumping these reserve sides out at the first opportunity.

The bottom line surely is if you want to go, to see St Mirren, you don't need to justify your motives to anyone. Equally, if you'd rather extract your own toenails with rusty pliers than go to this game, then no-one should pull you up over it. Will be interesting to see the attendance. Maybe, in a  twist on our usual form in crowd number matters at the 2021, the crowd will be about 725.... announced as 4,797.

:D

Edited by pozbaird

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Maybe, in a cunning twist on usual form in such regard at the 2021,, the crowd will be about 725

Strange that you picked that figure, that was the lowest I could find for a 1st team game, the 3rd round of the same competition  (albeit the Bell's Cup) vs Stenhousemuir the season we won it. Game was 13/09/05

As proposed for the Hearts colts game, only the Main Stand was open. Saints raced to a 3 goal lead with recent signings Sutton and Adam on the scoresheet only to concede 2 quick goals.

A pretty forgettable game, it was one of the last games I was accompanied by my ex-wife...another reason to forget it. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, scottd said:

Subsequent programmes in 2005-06 gave the crowd as 1725 which by my recollection was more realistic.

Aye I vaguely remember the crowd figure being revised upwards  but given the Main Stand and enclosure only held little over 2000, a figure of 1725 seems unrealistic.

55 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Aye I vaguely remember the crowd figure being revised upwards  but given the Main Stand and enclosure only held little over 2000, a figure of 1725 seems unrealistic.

I was sat in the North Bank for that one.

Just now, HSS said:

I was thinking that too.

Can't ever remember a 1st team game where only one side was opened.

Although I do remember a game that they didn't open the away end for some reason.We were playing Killie and they put their fans in beside us. :boxing

I don't know if they ever admitted it was a mistake.:lol:

1 hour ago, Eaglesham saint said:

I refuse to align myself with the corrupt SFA.

Any game with reserve teams,in my opinion,shout be attending,it only encourages them.

As has been said before. Auchenleck ,Irvine Meadow ,or Arthurlie would give us a bigger crowd

Anyway I'm going to London Town next weekend,a much more attractive proposition 

That is certainly impossible to argue against. :)

3 hours ago, Eaglesham saint said:

I refuse to align myself with the corrupt SFA.

Any game with reserve teams,in my opinion,shout be attending,it only encourages them.

As has been said before. Auchenleck ,Irvine Meadow ,or Arthurlie would give us a bigger crowd

Anyway I'm going to London Town next weekend,a much more attractive proposition 

How can you :lol: refuse to align with anything to do with the Scottish football authorities and still support any Scottish football team? This bollox, spouted by tantrum, who gets angry with everybody doesnt agree with him, really is pointless. I understand that people don't agree with what any football authority decide so you either stand your ground and feck right off or get on with supporting your team. Gie me a brek.

Edited by faraway saint

7 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I reckon after yesterday's performance a good few will turn up if for no other reason than not being able to wait 2 weeks for their next Buddies fix. 

Agree there will be a few who will attend after yesterday and see another win, taking us into the next round and keeping the momentum going, as so many rightly said was important in our run in last season.