St Mirren v Dundee United SPFL Championship 26/8/17

shull

1 minute ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Great save from a 1-on-1 at 0-0,  nothing else to do after that.

He has surprisingly decent keepie-uppie skills.

Yep decent . Every cross was dealt with easily, and the few saves he did have to make , he did . We're very lucky to have a keeper of his experience at the club . 

BTW. Who said the new ground was soulless? When we score the second the place was rocking. Hairs on the back of my neck were tingling!

Whether people like it or not the guys in the corner of the west stand make for a great atmosphere. Helps when the team play well but they certainly play their part.

21 minutes ago, JM1 said:

I must say, our midfielders made Willo Flood look all of his 86 years today. He's totally done going on that showing. Players were just running past him as if he wasn't there.

Pleasing.

Was very funny when Morgan ran past him at speed, looked like he may catch him for all of a fraction of a second and then gave up when Lewis hit the turbo, couldn't even get close enough to foul him.

13 minutes ago, DLBud said:

Whether people like it or not the guys in the corner of the west stand make for a great atmosphere. Helps when the team play well but they certainly play their part.

The whole stadium was singing at one point today . Great atmosphere.

8 minutes ago, DLBud said:

Hasn't happened often in this stadium but then we haven't played like that often, if at all.

I thought there were a few performances like that in the latter part of last season , but for the most part you're correct .

1 minute ago, munoz said:

I thought there were a few performances like that in the latter part of last season , but for the most part you're correct .

There were 4 big home wins last season against Hibs & Utd both midweek games when the attendances dip by 1000-1500, decent atmosphere then the Saturday games against Ayr and Raith  who at the end of the day weren't very good, when there was a better atmosphere and we ramped it up a bit due to roughly 4000 home fans

This season the home games against Falkirk and Utd I think we have taken the atmosphere up another level, keep the performances up and hopefully more fans come back every week and the team keep delivering on the pitch.

Awesome today all round! I will be devastated if Morgan leaves before the end of this season he is without doubt the best player in this league by a mile.  I honestly couldn't believe how dominant we were against so called favourites. Special mention to jack Baird not my favourite player at all but he was brilliant today won every header. The whole teams closing down , desire, tackling was unbelievable  if they play like this every weekend I don't know who can live with us!

The most enjoyable home league game in a long time... eclipsing the Hibs game of last season.

Not a failure in the team.

Mega kudos to Jack and James for setting the team up in a formation that suited our players and totally nullified the opposition.

United are not that awful... we just made them seem that way by being so good!

Morgan was the eye catcher... but in all honestly that was the most complete team effort I have seen in many a year.

Captain McGinn was indeed Captain Marvel.

To those who said he and McShane cannot play in the same midfield... any chance you could let the gaffer work on things in training and trust him? He signed McShane to play alongside McGinn!

To those who wrote off Buchanan after a match or two... any chance you could let the gaffer work on things in training and trust him? His judgement has been pretty sound so far!

Baird? Didn't even notice him... he was that quietly effective.

Unsung hero of the match and my man of the match... Eckersley!

The experience and stability he brings to the defence is incredible and essential. 

The number of times he effortlessly covered for other players was incredible. His reading of the game quite exceptional.

That the system today allowed both he and Stelios to perform was genius on Jack's part.

Genuinely excited at the match today and BY that match today... a real statement of intent!

Morgan was unreal today. The United defence wanted nothing to do with him, but we've seen that time and time again, on form, the best player in the Division.

I'd like to give special mention to Gavin Reilly, there wasn't a failure on the park for us today, but I thought Reilly's performance was a great reflection of the team overall. He worked tirelessly, a constant pest, never giving their defenders a second. He won more than his fair share against their central defender, despite giving away about half a foot and 3 stones to each of them. I think he played a very unselfish game putting the team and the result before himself and his own desire to score goals. He wasn't about goals today, he was there to disrupt their backline, make it difficult for them, force mistakes and allow us to win the second ball, let Smith and Morgon get beyond him  and open them up. He did it brilliantly, he looks to be a fantastic signing so far. Keep it up Gavin.

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Absolutely tremendous display from us. Morgan obviously the stand out but brilliant from everyone. Due to injuries and suspensions we seem to have lucked into a system that works. Today should hopefully have dispelled the doubts about Buchanan (which seemed to be, somewhat harshly, based on one game against Livingston) and was good to see McGinn and McShane can work together. McShane's set piece delivery was much better than in the other games I'd seen so that was pleasing too. First time I'd seen Liam Smith and he looked pretty handy, already a good understanding with Morgan. Hopefully his injury isn't too bad, although doubt he'd have been playing next week. Also great to see Reilly continually outmuscling United defenders.

Can't remember the last time we won three of our first four games - we did it in 1999/2000 but doubt we've managed it since then. What a difference from a year ago. We've beaten the two title favourites and we've deserved to as well. The results and performances suggest the game at Cappielow was very much the exception, rather than the rule.

We made a Dundee United side with a 100% record look utterly woeful today and my joy at that was capped off by the United media team just along from me having an utter meltdown at everything but their team's failings to the extent they were claiming non-existent fouls were penalties - like so:

Was Morgan not injured for a large chunk of the Murray/Rae season? Fairly sure he was starting games under Murray then disappeared and only returned at the end of the campaign.

Utterly irrelevant anyway - although Rae may have liked Morgan because he used to be at Rangers :ph34r:

Appreciate I may have been whooshed on this one. It's a long day.

That DUFC tweet is a hoot. I don't remember having a heart in the mouth moment in 2nd half except for 1 direct free kick which missed the target narrowly, and don't remember their players or fans appealing for a penalty, as for Quinn's booking I thought the only decision the ref had to make was whether it was a straight red or just a yellow. It was a very cynical professional foul on the half way line where our man knocked the ball beyond Quinn and had skinned him and Quinn made no attempt to get the ball and took the man out. Andy Murdoch was the other defender back covering and was in line with the incident but on the other side of the pitch - I think he had zero chance of getting anywhere near the St Mirren player given how slow all the united defence were - it wasn't only Morgan bombing past them easily all afternoon, Reilly and both Smiths were strolling past them... and it followed a similar incident in the first half with a very cynical late challenge from behind in the centre circle (except on that occasion it wasn't a last man situation).

BBC live updates:

Booking

Posted at57'

Paul Quinn (Dundee United) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.

Posted at57'

Foul by Paul Quinn (Dundee United).

Posted at57'

Gavin Reilly (St. Mirren) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

Posted at57'

Attempt blocked. Fraser Fyvie (Dundee United) right footed shot from the centre of the box is blocked.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:27 AM, Sweeper07 said:

This game is a big one - but only 3 points are at stake - there is a long way to go and lots more points to play for.

That said,  we might not be at full strength yet, but they are not looking too convincing either.

They have guys like MacDonald, Keatings and King on their day can do the business. But Buchannan and Baird can both be great, fast, good at shutting down, tackling and decent in the air - it is about concentration and their team mates shutting down the supply lines and tracking back with their midfield ...

I would play with Ecks in the middle of defence again for cover and Stelios and Smith as the wing-backs.

Smith and a few others should let McMullen know some hard tackles .. but no sending offs this week please?

If we shut them down - our confidence will grow and we will make chances... winners are ruthless... so goals from any of our players will do (they are all capable now - something we struggled at for years), zealous determination to accept nothing but victory.. Mr J R - get them TELT 

Send them back to Dundee knowing they have serious challengers..  COYS 2 v 0

Firstly apologies - I was a bit pessimistic

Secondly - Well Done JR - You truly got them TELT

Whole team played like champions - especially the centre backs who got pelters too often in the past.

We need 2 victories in the next 2 league games - it is likely that Utd will win both of theirs ... but I hope not

On 25/08/2017 at 5:56 PM, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Anyone going to stream this tomorrow on Periscope?

For Christ's sake could some please think of the childr........far flung fuds. 

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Div for the stream. Unselfish behaviour of the highest order. It's really appreciated mate. 

Please keep up the good work for us FFFs, but I personally won't be needing you at the next league game as I'll be there! :bounce4

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2