Craig Thomson

Just wanted to sincerely thank you for your refereeing display today. It is not every week that we get to see such an absolutely abismal shocking and quite unbelivable display of incompetence. None the less the Saints showed great commitment and determination to costruct a fine win today well done Jack and the lads. [emoji41] [emoji41]

I was over in the Main Stand today with a mate who is a Livi fan.

As soon as Irvine made the tackle I thought it was a red card.

As for the Stelios incident, that was a bit odd. However, at the time, I did say to my mate that Stelios was over egging his injury. Maybe Thomson thought the same?

Other than those 2 incidents, I can't recall any other issues?

8 minutes ago, Warwick Hunt said:

I was over in the Main Stand today with a mate who is a Livi fan.

As soon as Irvine made the tackle I thought it was a red card.

As for the Stelios incident, that was a bit odd. However, at the time, I did say to my mate that Stelios was over egging his injury. Maybe Thomson thought the same?

Other than those 2 incidents, I can't recall any other issues?

Reading about the Stelios incident, it was completely wrong by the ref.

Stelios gets fouled, opposition player gets booked. In that instance, Stelios then stays on the park until he's treated, gets up and plays on. Jack apparently went mental as Thomson ordered Stelios off to the touchline when this shouldn't happen if the incident sees an opposition player booked. In this case, Jack was sent to stand for pulling Thomson up for not knowing the rules and should be back on the touchline next Saturday as a result. No case to answer.

Edited by djchapsticks

Reading about the Stelios incident, it was completely wrong by the ref.
Stelios gets fouled, opposition player gets booked. In that instance, Stelios then stays on the park until he's treated, gets up and plays on. Jack apparently went mental as Thomson ordered Stelios off to the touchline when this shouldn't happen if the incident sees an opposition player booked. In this case, Jack was sent to stand for pulling Thomson up for not knowing the rules and should be back on the touchline next Saturday as a result. No case to answer.

He would have been sent to the stand for foul and abusive and abusive language.

Doesn't matter if Thomson was wrong, Jack's sending off will stand.

Take the view that it was a two footed and studs up tackle. .therefore red card.

Take the view that Livvy were not pulled up for a very clear push when they scored. 

Take the view that Morgan was given little protection from the officials. 

Ref did make an error with asking Stelios to leave the field. Led to the Jack Ross incident 

Having said this there were some good use of the advantage rule for both sides.

Mixed performance by the ref in my opinion.

Take the view that it was a two footed and studs up tackle. .therefore red card.
Take the view that Livvy were not pulled up for a very clear push when they scored. 
Take the view that Morgan was given little protection from the officials. 
Ref did make an error with asking Stelios to leave the field. Led to the Jack Ross incident 
Having said this there were some good use of the advantage rule for both sides.
Mixed performance by the ref in my opinion.

From the images, it definitely wasn't two footed, so that's not even a debatable point. Doesn't really look like studs were up either, though at speed it may have been difficult to tell.

9 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Absolutely, but for the fact that it wasn't two footed and studs up<_<

The photos on the match thread clearly show that. Thomson couldn't get his card out quick enough. He had a complete stinker today.

Tbh I'd need to see the red card incident again , as it was across on the other side . But at the time it looked very soft to me . Irvine looked to be stretching for the ball slightly, but for me it was a 50/50 with no malice intended. Thankfully it didn't have any bearing on the result.

12 minutes ago, Warwick Hunt said:

I was in the main stand. Studs up, leg straight. My initial reaction was a red card. Thomson called it correctly IMO.

It wasn't a straight leg. He won the ball. Never a red card offence.

So, you being there but not hearing what was said/shouted, what is the basis of your assertion that there was foul and abusive language directed by Jack Ross to the referee? (I wasn't there so just interested to know)

I saw him shout at Thomson. I'm assuming what he shouted was foul and abusive!

11 minutes ago, Warwick Hunt said:

My initial reaction was straight leg, studs up, red card.

Replays may show differently but that was my initial reaction.

If that was my reaction then I can see why Thomson sent him off.

I can't. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I'd love to see it again. 

As I said on the matchday thread it looked to me like it was out of control lunge leading with the studs. Guy beside me thought it was 2 footed but I said it was definitely only 1. 

I felt he made an arse of the first challenge and tried hard to recover the situation that had ran away from his control. As a result he lead with the studs dangerously. 

Regardless if the ball was played or not you can't lunge dangerously  with your studs. 

I'd love to see it again to hopefully correct my initial assessment so we can successfully appeal the red card as I feel Irvine on the right side of our defence is an important part of the jigsaw. 

Edited by davidg

I'd love to see it again. 
As I said on the matchday thread it looked to me like it was out of control lunge leading with the studs. Guy beside me thought it was 2 footed but I said it was definitely on 1. 
I felt he made an arse of the first challenge and tried hard to recover the situation that had ran away from his control. As a result he lead with the studs dangerously. 
Regardless if the ball was played or not you can't lunge dangerously  with your studs. 
I'd love to see it again to hopefully correct my initial assessment so we can successfully appeal the red card as I feel Irvine on the right side of our defence is an important part of the jigsaw. 

That's exactly how I saw it.

And the end of the day, the ref has to make an immediate call and obviously more than just Thomson thought it was a red.

Admittedly my mate is a Livi fan but he also thought it was a red.

Ok, so you can't lunge dangerously with your studs up. Late in the game, McGinn cleared a ball up the line on the main stand side. Guy slid in and caught him. A foul was given and a booking to the Livingston player.

What was the difference between that and Irvine's sending off? As soon as a player attempts a sliding tackle they are out of control. And he must have caught McGinn with his studs. That sounds like lunging dangerously with your studs up?

Thomson saw what he thought he saw with Irvine's tackle and whipped the red card straight out. For someone who was only doing our game after a shambolic, 3 red card performance last week, he might have been wiser to give himself a moment of thinking time.

13 minutes ago, Edinbuddie said:

Ok, so you can't lunge dangerously with your studs up. Late in the game, McGinn cleared a ball up the line on the main stand side. Guy slid in and caught him. A foul was given and a booking to the Livingston player.

What was the difference between that and Irvine's sending off? As soon as a player attempts a sliding tackle they are out of control. And he must have caught McGinn with his studs. That sounds like lunging dangerously with your studs up?

Thomson saw what he thought he saw with Irvine's tackle and whipped the red card straight out. For someone who was only doing our game after a shambolic, 3 red card performance last week, he might have been wiser to give himself a moment of thinking time.

Were 2 out of Thomson's 3 red cards last weekend not shown to have been the correct decision with the benefit of video evidence? The red card to the Motherwell keeper was very hard to call but 100% correct. 

I'm a Saints fan and the only tackle in the game that I saw where I immediately thought that a red card might be shown was Irvine's.

If that is what I thought then I, personally, cannot criticise Thomson.

And let's remember that Thomson is / was a Saints fan as well!