One for all the golfers in forumland...

pozbaird

I played East Renfrewshire last week for the first time. It trumpets itself as being the best course in Renfrewshire. I disagree. It was sodden wet and I found a lot of the holes were very similar. Up and down a hill to a blind green.

I rate Renfrew GC and Mar Hall better courses, arguably Paisley GC is a more enjoyable layout.

Over to you... best course in Renfrewshire?

5 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

PILMUIR, AYR ROAD, NEWTON MEARNS, GLASGOW, G77 6RT.

So, aye, East Renfrewshire.

So, it's maybe the best course in East Renfrewshire, but it's being a bit cheeky to claim the title of 'best course in Renfrewshire'.

The basturts!

From the courses you listed above, Paisley is probably my favourite was a member there for years, played Renfrew a few times, nice course and layout but not one I would rush out to join.

I've enjoyed Elderslie the two times I've played it.

Played old Ranfurly a few months ago, course was in really good condition, I was surprised as it had been heavily raining the week before, far too many blind holes though.

Not the best course I've listed but I've always liked playing fereneze the first hole is torture, usually only play this with a group of old pals hence always enjoying it. Absolutely love the 18th hole.

Never played Ralston, always heard mixed reports.

Paisley GC is undoubtedly the golfing jewel in the town of Paisley, miles ahead of any other course in the area.  Especially now with Johnny Clelland as the greenkeeper.  Paisley GC is in outstanding condition and a joy to play on.  The course is of course called the Paisley Bushes golf club.

Kilmacolm is the 2nd best, cracking wee course.  

Coachrane castle is a decent enough course but it gets a wee bit squeezed toward the end of the round, undoubtedloy a result of the compulsory purchase of land in the 1940's.   

Renfrew GC is a boring, boring and even more boring course.  Long, straight holes that lack any sort of character.  When you add in the noise of the scrappies next door and the aeroplanes passing only metres overhead I find it to be an all together unpleasant hit.  It also suffers from poor drainage.  I like the club house though!

Barshaw is a cracking wee course with some enjoyable holes.  As it is looked after by Renfrewshire council it will never be a top drawer course but I will defend the Royal and Ancient Barshaw to the hilt.  Many a Paisley bairn started playing on this cracker and it is hugely important in bringing young un's into the game.  

Unfortuantely my gowfing days are drawing to a close and I hardly play these days....this will likely be my last year.   I have started playing the bowls though......

I like Old Ranfurly, but then I have been a member there for 27 years...

I've played Renfrew a couple of times this year as my brother and a few friends play there too, played it last week. It's okay, except between late August and January you can barely find your ball if you go anywhere near the semi-rough, with the sheer volume of fallen leaves that they never clear. Also, there is pretty much no sand in their bunkers currently. Nice greens though.

I like Paisley, but not played it in a few years. Actually, one that's not been mentioned yet, but I always liked Elderslie to play on.

20 minutes ago, zurich_allan said:

I've played Renfrew a couple of times this year as my brother and a few friends play there too, played it last week. It's okay, except between late August and January you can barely find your ball if you go anywhere near the semi-rough, with the sheer volume of fallen leaves that they never clear. Also, there is pretty much no sand in their bunkers currently. Nice greens though.

I like Paisley, but not played it in a few years. Actually, one that's not been mentioned yet, but I always liked Elderslie to play on.

Wouldn't thank anyone for an invite to Old Ranfurly. Same applies with the prestigious Ranfurly Castle. Would play Elderslie every day of the week before either of these two. 

Edited by davidg

30 minutes ago, davidg said:

Wouldn't thank anyone for an invite to Old Ranfurly. Same applies with the prestigious Ranfurly Castle. Would play Elderslie every day of the week before either of these two. 

If anyone wants to invite me to their course and saves me £15 - £50, I'd thank them. :)

54 minutes ago, zurich_allan said:

Paisley is a nice track. The holes are all varied, the times I've played it, it was in great nick, and it isn't too hilly. Very nice layout.

1 minute ago, davidg said:

Maybe I'm spoiled, I'd make my excuses if invited. 

You at Haggs Castle? If you invite me, I'll invite you to my place - Cawder. Home & Away. Winner plays an Under 20 Hearts Colt at a golf club in Wales or Northern Ireland. :)

16 hours ago, davidg said:

Was a member at Elderslie for about 20 years and moved over to Ranfurly Castle about 10 years ago.

Elderslie is a nice course (my good lady plays there still), however, I think the Castle is a bit more challenging (too challenging frequently), an even nicer course, and the views and surroundings are spectacular.

I suppose it depends on what you are looking for

Happy golfing

Guest TPAFKATS

Where is it then?

Ah! I see.   However, I don't recognise these tory gerrymandered boundaries - it's all Renfrewshire to me.  :spud5

Disappointed in the second post. Read the first and just assumed it was some quality whooshing.

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:05 PM, pozbaird said:

You at Haggs Castle? If you invite me, I'll invite you to my place - Cawder. Home & Away. Winner plays an Under 20 Hearts Colt at a golf club in Wales or Northern Ireland. :)

Cawder is a smashing track and generally in great condition and Haggs is more than decent too.......I play out of Pollok and happy to play most of my golf there but those are two courses well worth playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to get back into it after finding out there's a driving range, 10 minutes from the house, in Johnstone. Not swung the wrenches since my best mate moved to Oz about 10 years ago.

If I can find my swing over the winter, hopefully I'll be able to get around all of Renfrewshire's courses next summer.

Cochrane Castle's the closest but everyone says it's ridiculously challenging at times.

Back when I was playing, I was in Newton Mearns. Royal Deakies and Cathcart Castle were my regular rounds. CC being a gem of a course. I found East Ren and Whitecraigs quite boring. Lacking in character.