Dunfermline v St Mirren SPFL Championship 16/9/17

shull

29 minutes ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Play high balls over our central defence

Exactly how Morton played against us and we continued to play a high defensive line when we should have dropped deeper in 2nd half. If we had, Baird wouldn't have got sent off and we'd be level pegging and on ascendancy. 

Our best player today was Baird, he did what he was meant to do the rest around him the more experienced players let him down by not helping the young lad out, midfield no where to be seen today left a bigger hole in the middle off the park than what was found on kilbowie road and up top no support given in my eyes, bullied all over the park today. The ref didn't help much in my eyes either a lot of strange calls like giving them a goal kick and the ball hadn't even went to the line Never mind over the line. But credit must go to the pars played really good and deserved to win from the off.

25 minutes ago, jkd said:

Our best player today was Baird,

Come off it, he was pulled all over the place yet again and must be No1 on JRs list for dropping when we're back to full strength. He treats the ball like a hot potato , can't get any decent distance on his defensive headers and has next to no composure. Buchanan's not much better. I'm counting the minutes until Harry and Gary McK are back !

3-5-2 worked ok away to Livy but last week it was a struggle even though we won, surprised we stuck with it today. Better teams will teams drag our central defenders wide and the exploit the gaps. 
We don't have many defenders available now but we need to get back to 4 at the back asap. 
Bad result but we're 1 point off the leaders with back to back home games coming up. Happy with our position right now. 

We played Dundee Utd of the park playing 3-5-2 as well. This is our first defeat using it, I would stick with it, albeit personnel might leave us with no option but to go to a back 4 next week.

Our problem is that we play with two playmakers in central mid, rather than having a ball winner in there, our defence might be poor but they've got nobody in front protecting them. It's just the way we play unfortunately.

3-5-2 worked ok away to Livy but last week it was a struggle even though we won, surprised we stuck with it today. Better teams will teams drag our central defenders wide and the exploit the gaps. 
We don't have many defenders available now but we need to get back to 4 at the back asap. 
Bad result but we're 1 point off the leaders with back to back home games coming up. Happy with our position right now. 

In my opinion the 3-5-2 against livi was pish. After Irvine was sent off we went 4-4-1 and scored 2, to their nil, to win the game.

Last week with 3-5-2 we were drawing 2-2. Jack moved stelios fwd and Irvine back to a flat four and we scored 2 to win 4-2.

We need to go back to a back 4 though with suspensions and injuries I'm not sure we have the personnel.

Who will we have Irvine Baird Stelios? Let's hope Mckenzie can make it back.

In my opinion the 3-5-2 against livi was pish. After Irvine was sent off we went 4-4-1 and scored 2, to their nil, to win the game.

Last week with 3-5-2 we were drawing 2-2. Jack moved stelios fwd and Irvine back to a flat four and we scored 2 to win 4-2.

We need to go back to a back 4 though with suspensions and injuries I'm not sure we have the personnel.

Who will we have Irvine Baird Stelios? Let's hope Mckenzie can make it back.

Irvine, Baird, Stelios, Smith.

That said... Something at the back of my mind says a suspension following an ordering off for two yellows doesn't kick in immediately in the way it does for a straight red.

We went to a back 4 early in the game yesterday. Stelios pushed up into midfield and was subsequently hooked at half time. We lost two goals against the back 4. Defence is a big issue as a three or a four. They are very exposed against pace and under the high ball, and we really struggle to pick up the second ball. Dunfermline's forwards barely won a header all day, apart from Higginbotham who destroyed Stelios. The ball either went over the top, or the second ball was picked up by a later runner.

I thought Dunfermline were really good to be honest. They were quick, attacking and always had an option. They pressed hard and looked really fit, and were by far the best team we've played this season. That's the standard we need to be at to win this league.

We played 3 5 2 against Dundee United and it seemed to suit us perfectly.  Obviously not the case yesterday.

Inverness had some success last week playing through balls, and Dunfermline obviously picked up on that today and really looked to do nothing but that.  Occasionally they would find space out wide with Stelios posted missing, but how a three man central defence can't cope with passes pinged from within the opposition half I don't know.  As with the Morton game we were sat too high up the pitch, too often and we got carved open through the middle (indeed, all three games we were just too soft down the middle).

The Partick game was a little different in that the midfield seemed to be posted missing and Thistle ran at our central defence who would respond by falling over.

I am amazed that given what a solid defender Jack was he is unable to solve some of these problems.  In some cases it would seem to not be the formation but the players who are the problem.  However, tactics were obviously at fault against Morton and Dunfermline.

I don't know what the solution is, that's what Jack and James are paid for but it is probably time to be a little more conservative away from home and get some protection in midfield for the likes of Baird, Buchanan and MacKenzie who this season do not appear to be up to it at this level.  Time to stop expecting Morgan and Smith to bail out the shaky defence every week.

Felt as if it took a lifetime to get into the game, then I couldn't get out of the place quick enough, utter shambolic on 

and off the park, but what I did see of the match (about half a game) we were 2nd best all over the place, Dunfermline 

completely dominated us it looked so easy for them, the warning signs were there last week playing 3 at the back it was 

panic stations every time they attacked us........ Shit day.

Edited by scrappy coco

21 minutes ago, scrappy coco said:

Felt as if it took a lifetime to get into the game, then I couldn't get out of the place quick enough, utter shambolic on 

and off the park, but what I did see of the match (about half a game) we were 2nd best all over the place, Dunfermline 

completely dominated us it looked so easy for them, the warning signs were there last week playing 3 at the back it was 

panic stations every time they attacked us........ Shit day.

Results show we are better going forward than defending but that will change when we have the full team. Their first goal yesterday did come against the run of play but other than that , it was pretty poor apart from a couple of near misses from us. .

4 hours ago, norman said:

We went to a back 4 early in the game yesterday. Stelios pushed up into midfield and was subsequently hooked at half time. We lost two goals against the back 4. Defence is a big issue as a three or a four. They are very exposed against pace and under the high ball, and we really struggle to pick up the second ball. Dunfermline's forwards barely won a header all day, apart from Higginbotham who destroyed Stelios. The ball either went over the top, or the second ball was picked up by a later runner.

I thought Dunfermline were really good to be honest. They were quick, attacking and always had an option. They pressed hard and looked really fit, and were by far the best team we've played this season. That's the standard we need to be at to win this league.

Agree, Dunfermline play like that every week they will walk the championship.  Thats two teams given us a sore one in 6 league games where we have not turned up that is concerning . Still time to correct things we are 1 point off top place have 4 good players to come back. 

Interesting post match comments by Ross who said he was only 'irritated' by The two idiots sending offs. You woukd have thought he would be raging being denied anything approaching a first choice defence for a game or two..?

only a win next week is acceptable, otherwise it would indicate a lacking in attitude from squad and management that they are up to mounting a title challenge.

12 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Interesting post match comments by Ross who said he was only 'irritated' by The two idiots sending offs. You woukd have thought he would be raging being denied anything approaching a first choice defence for a game or two..?

only a win next week is acceptable, otherwise it would indicate a lacking in attitude from squad and management that they are up to mounting a title challenge.

A tad over dramatic, IMO.

Let's split the difference and say we get a draw.

We would still be well in the mix after only 7 games and we've played all our pre season rivals for promotion.

Overall we have played pretty well and it's mostly agreed we have a couple of important players coming back, soon, from injury.

No need to start panicking at this stage. 

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

A tad over dramatic, IMO.

Let's split the difference and say we get a draw.

We would still be well in the mix after only 7 games and we've played all our pre season rivals for promotion.

Overall we have played pretty well and it's mostly agreed we have a couple of important players coming back, soon, from injury.

No need to start panicking at this stage. 

Over dramatic..? That should be reserved for those who thought before yesterday, and the Morton game we could walk this league.

Hibs proved last season that you dont have to win every game to win the league, but you do have to come back from defeats with wins. If wé had won yesterday we would have opened up a two-result required, to our none gap.... that could quite quickly have become a double digit points gap that would put us beyond the level of consistent wins required that most of our competitors are able to achieve.

yesterday was a chance to leave a group behind us, a couple more opportunities will come, question is does our squad/management have the bottle to take one of them and show the attitude required to win a league..?

the continual 'we are waiting on two, three to come back" is a fools dream, there will always be at least two regulars unavailable through injury, and now suspensions. At some point we could lose Morgan or Reilly for a a game or two, the proof of a squad/managements attitude is believing and producing results regardless. Yesterday that was found wanting in a big way, lets see if they can get back on it without whining about who isn't playing.

renember the manager chose to sign a player he knew wouldnt play till at least October, so he is responsible for getting results with his choices.

18 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Eckersely red card looks a joke to me nothing in that pulls the player to the side of him as he was backing into him another joke of a decision by Thomson

Thomson is a bit of a joke , that is twice in the space of a couple of weeks wereby he has officiated and created controversy out of f**k all. .really

Since I left the game with 10 mins to go, I didn't know we had 2 players sent off till the mate text me at 6-30 [emoji23] As I was going to Fauldhouse after the game I went over the new bridge and had no traffic problem. Since we were early the wife and I went into a local bar to find she was the only woman in the place that was full of.celtic fans [emoji40] Since I was the only guy with his face tripping him they would have known I wasn't 1 of them ???? Thankfully the night went better than my day.

The result doesn't surprise me. We're as liable to dish out a thumping, as shown against Dundee United, as we are to get thumped ourselves due to the way we play . Important that we respond the way we did after the Morton game. Good to see the usual nonsense on here that we've seemingly become shite overnight.

Two ridiculously stupid red cards going by the highlights when you think the game was already long gone. With four red cards along with our manager and his assistant being sent to the stands in just six league games I think we should start saving up for the inevitable SFA fine that's coming our way at the end of the season.

Five and a half minutes of Jack's views on the game and you pick up on one word to spin your usual negative pish.

"Only a win next week is acceptable?" "Squad and management lacking the attitude to mount a challenge?"

We're second in the league FFS!

It must have been really difficult for you over the last few weeks as we've played well and banged in goals. You just couldn't wait for the opportunity to get the boot in could you.

What a fanny.