Dunfermline v St Mirren SPFL Championship 16/9/17

shull

Just about calmed down after yesterdays debacle and I'm not just talking about on the pitch. We were beaten by a better team. quicker. STRONGER. more desire in all departments than us. Apart from Sammy and Morgan the rest can hang their heads in shame. The fans put in more effort trying to get in to the game than Mcginn and McShane did on the park. Conceding 5 goals in 2 games is not promotion form. Jack and James need to sort out our defending. What Eckersley and especially Buckie were doing we will never know. Not blaming ref even tho he was hopeless again. As for Dunfermline FC organisation 0 out 10. absolutely amateur.

Weird thing; earlier this week I thought Saints were going to lose three nil at East End Park. Dunno, I just had this feeling.

Off day for the team, simple as that, but still sitting second so not a catastrophe. Still have the same amount of points in September this year as at the end of December LAST year so I'm thankful for that at least.

Onwards and forwards; bit of effort next couple of games and we should be fine.

10 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Just watched the highlights, my take on a few things from that and being at the game.

Stelios was woefully caught out for the first, looked over his shoulder to see the man outside him and still got caught cold. When the ball comes in , the Pars player simply runse in between Baord & Buchanan with neither taking responsibilty for marking him

Second goal , exposed again at the LB area , Pars doubled up and caught us out but more worrying , when the ball came in, the Pars player had time to steady himself and calmly slot home before our midfielders had decided to track back.

Third goal. WTF was McShane doing ?

The Eckersly sending off (imo) was harsh, if Eckersley walks then why wasnt the pars player also sent off for a blatant elbow ?

Buchanan couldnt argue, silly second booking

Stephen McGinn need to cut out these stupid "turn backs"  if he got caught once yesterday , he got caught half a dozen times.

McShanes delivery from set pieces is shocking

Why dont we vary our corners ? Pars did and caused us no end of problems .

Lastly , with suspensions & Injuries for next week we will struggle against Lyle & Dobbie. The thought of those two against Baird & Whyte does not fill me with confidence.

I thought the Par player ran between Eckersley and Buchanan and not Baird and Buchanan for the 1st goal. Agree with everything else you said.

After experiencing the queues at the ground followed by 90mins of inept defending the appeal of a 7 hour round trip (9 for Cappielow) to see the buddies away is sadly losing its appeal.

Given the hugely disappointing performances in these matches I hope the club seriously considers subsidising supporters buses for upcoming trips to Falkirk and Dundee.

Meantime, I think I'll stick to home games for now....

I may be wrong, but I'm sure I saw a post from Pars fan on P&B saying that the length of their pitch would be an advantage and something they could exploit. I am not trying to excuse our woeful defending but perhaps is may explain why there was such a huge gap between our defence and midfield.

Even if true, we should still have been good enough to adapt.

And so we move on..

1 hour ago, turrabuddie said:

I may be wrong, but I'm sure I saw a post from Pars fan on P&B saying that the length of their pitch would be an advantage and something they could exploit. I am not trying to excuse our woeful defending but perhaps is may explain why there was such a huge gap between our defence and midfield.

Even if true, we should still have been good enough to adapt.

And so we move on..

Not sure about the length of the pitch but it did look top quality. I got the impression  we were not prepared  for what they wrre going to throw at us so maybe Clake took Morton v Dunfermline game in and came back with a match report where Dunfermline did not play the tempo  they did with us , just a guess. We have four good players to come in we will be challenging no doub about it. Dunfermline was disappointing but Dunfemline have off days also ( Morton ) 

22 hours ago, Stu said:

The result doesn't surprise me. We're as liable to dish out a thumping, as shown against Dundee United, as we are to get thumped ourselves due to the way we play . Important that we respond the way we did after the Morton game. Good to see the usual nonsense on here that we've seemingly become shite overnight.

Two ridiculously stupid red cards going by the highlights when you think the game was already long gone. With four red cards along with our manager and his assistant being sent to the stands in just six league games I think we should start saving up for the inevitable SFA fine that's coming our way at the end of the season.

I think alarm bells have sounded about the defence for a few weeks now.  The combination of these unsolved problems and a Dunfermline side who were in on us at every opportunity was a massive wake up call to the team-we can't rely on the "score more than you" philosophy.  The evidence of Saturday is, to paraphrase a certain Cpl Jones, our players don't like it up 'em.

It will be great to see Davis back, when he is ready, but this situation casts further doubt on the wisdom of signing an injured player.  Had we been unlucky with a few chances against Livi and/or ICT we would be at the other end of the table thinking about another season of strife.  Let's hope the management team take this on board and sort out some of the problems and attitudes that are seeing our defence split like a  dry log as a matter of urgency.  A clean sheet on each of the next 2 weekends please!

Think we have to be realistic

We have a good team going forward, we are suspect at the back , and in 3 defeats that's 3-0 , 4-1, 5-0.....

This league is a great league ,, far far better than the Celticship, any team can beat any team, remember we have 5 points more than Caley and Bairns combined.......

Unless we are going to score 3 or 4 goals every game we look like we will struggle, we need a more resolute , organised defence......

Still confident we can win our next 2 games, if we can get 18/ 21 points on board after first round that would be League winning form

Not a blip, just highlighting an issue

19 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

I think alarm bells have sounded about the defence for a few weeks now.  The combination of these unsolved problems and a Dunfermline side who were in on us at every opportunity was a massive wake up call to the team-we can't rely on the "score more than you" philosophy.  The evidence of Saturday is, to paraphrase a certain Cpl Jones, our players don't like it up 'em.

It will be great to see Davis back, when he is ready, but this situation casts further doubt on the wisdom of signing an injured player.  Had we been unlucky with a few chances against Livi and/or ICT we would be at the other end of the table thinking about another season of strife.  Let's hope the management team take this on board and sort out some of the problems and attitudes that are seeing our defence split like a  dry log as a matter of urgency.  A clean sheet on each of the next 2 weekends please!

This..

and the manager having a word with himself about having seen our defence split at ease against ICT and Morton, why did he bench Irvine and leave it further exposed when you could see the dividends being paid by Stelios playing in front of a defender??? 

Stelios got ripped a new one by Higgenbottom, but for some reason we through on strikers when we are being carved apart in the middle and back???

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

This..

and the manager having a word with himself about having seen our defence split at ease against ICT and Morton, why did he bench Irvine and leave it further exposed when you could see the dividends being paid by Stelios playing in front of a defender??? 

Stelios got ripped a new one by Higgenbottom, but for some reason we through on strikers when we are being carved apart in the middle and back???

HiggenB is and always has been a quality player, take ur point though LPM. Hopefully Davis and Mckenzie will provide better defensive solutions 

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

This..

I know its all great looking back in hindsight now, though Stelios should have been used as an impact player from the bench in the latter stages of the game.

Saturday had far too many similarities to the performance at Cappielow. Up against a  team that have players capable of hitting you on the counter and exposing your wing backs. Hopefully this is a learning curve for Jack after been stung twice with the same tactics. We had plenty of the ball though couldn't string two passes as the nerves kicked in.

Edited by kevo_smfc

1 hour ago, scabbydug37 said:

IMO, we have a midfield problem although the 2 Macs are good players, there is a need for a 'Goodie' type of player. That would allow the 2 Macs to control the midfield distribution better

We need players in the middle who can 'manage' a game. I.e. If we are getting ripped down a flank or through the middle then they re-deploy themselves and others to change that situation. Likewise if we are having joy through a channel or against a weak player etc. Pile on it.

on Saturday McGinn didn't seem to know how to change it, and McShane falls into,the category of being unable to change/influence a game. You then end up with Stelios being isolated and picked off, Eckersley and Buchanan getting done time and again by the same players till their bottle goes. In effective no midfield threading balls to Reilly/Smith/Morgan, so we end up shelling it like saturday, be it Samson, Buchanan, Baird etc...

they called Goody the Ghost, but I nominate McShane as the Invisible Man, and Eckersley as Blunder Wummin on that showing. Ross has got a lot of basics to go back to in training this week, lets see if they can comeback with a 'back to basics' domination/management of a game and get all the points. 

First Basic - you cant play Stelios as your only defensive option on a flank against a decent team. Get Irvine back in there for insurance.

This..

Stelios was certainly culpable for the first goal (as were the two central defenders) but he wasnt there for the 2nd half & Higginbottom continued to tear us apart . He is a very good player . 

55 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Isn't it worth appealing Eckersley red anyway so he can play against QotS? Then even if the appeal isn't upheld he'll miss the Dumbarton/Brechin games instead (or possibly even the Raith game).

Or is that not how it works?

I think it is how it works, but will Saints pay the c£1000 for that to happen?

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Stelios was certainly culpable for the first goal (as were the two central defenders) but he wasnt there for the 2nd half & Higginbottom continued to tear us apart . He is a very good player . 

He wasnt there for the second half because despite not being able to defend or manage the game in midfield we were throwing on forwards and shelling it. Instead of sticking Irvine on and subbing a largely invisible McShane.

17 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

He wasnt there for the second half because despite not being able to defend or manage the game in midfield we were throwing on forwards and shelling it. Instead of sticking Irvine on and subbing a largely invisible McShane.

If we had been allowed 6 subs on Saturday, that still wouldn't have been enough . It was a bad team performance.

You think we should have taken off a midfielder and replaced him with a full back when we were 2 goals down away from home?

And you cant understand why Jack didnt do this?

:lol:

If Davis is back in four weeks and we are in contention it will look like a gamble worth taking. Let's see what happens.

Since it seems to be all ifs and buts - if we win the next three against QotS, Brechin and Dumbarton, we end the first round of fixtures having only lost two games and won eight. If we do that another 3 times, we win the league! Calm down everyone. It's unrealistic to expect to win every single game in this league. Noone is going to do that. Yes I was as disappointed as anyone on Saturday, but we move onwards. The players have a great mentality and will bounce back.

1 minute ago, paulsmfc said:

Since it seems to be all ifs and buts - if we win the next three against QotS, Brechin and Dumbarton, we end the first round of fixtures having only lost two games and won eight. If we do that another 3 times, we win the league! Calm down everyone. It's unrealistic to expect to win every single game in this league. Noone is going to do that. Yes I was as disappointed as anyone on Saturday, but we move onwards. The players have a great mentality and will bounce back.

Close, but I get your point.

There's only  10 teams in the league, we'd only have won 7. :rolleyes: