St Mirren v Inverness CT. SPFL Championship 9/9/17

shull

I'm not going to single anyone out but JR will know we are nowhere near the finished article. Defensively we were poor yesterday , and a better team could have pushed us harder than ICT did. We have better defenders coming back from injury than three of the four that played yesterday , interesting team selections coming soon !

I think we will see him going back to 4 at the back when he has the right players back. We tightened up big time on Saturday when we went back to the traditional 4.

Took my mate along to the game on Saturday, not a St Mirren fan, or even a football fan, but we stood in W7, the atmosphere was great, and he loved every minute. Think he'll be along to games on a fairly regular basis now. Weirdly, without knowing the first thing about football, he picked Reilly as his MotM ahead of Morgan. He was impressed with his work rate and ability to bully much bigger players. He's 110% a team player, his attitude is 2nd to none, puts the team and the result above himself and is a constant threat, dangerous himself and creating chances for other players. Morgan is the star of the show at the moment, but Reilly's contribution (and Cammy Smith's for that matter) should not be underestimated. Hopefully he'll bag himself a couple against the Pars, since they seem to rate him so poorly. Shows the difference the right management team can make to a player.

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Well that's 3-1, 3-0, 4-2 at home , all against the so called stronger teams

Under Jack we have gone from 6-9 shots a game under AR/IM to 18-30 Shots under JR

Do we actually need a defence?:D

The best form of defence is attack. An ex manager's quote.

Thought McGinn well below par on Saturday, gave the ball away far too often and he and McShane still don't look a great pairing. He set high standards last season, but sitting deep he - along with McShane - do not give the defence much protection.

I know we've outscored everyone - bar the Cappielow Debacle - but we do need to have a wee bit of solidity in the midfield. Magennis could be the answer in there, but he's also better further forward. 

Maybe I should stop nit picking and just enjoy the excellent attacking performances. Aye, I'll do that.

26 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Thought McGinn well below par on Saturday, gave the ball away far too often and he and McShane still don't look a great pairing. He set high standards last season, but sitting deep he - along with McShane - do not give the defence much protection.

I know we've outscored everyone - bar the Cappielow Debacle - but we do need to have a wee bit of solidity in the midfield. Magennis could be the answer in there, but he's also better further forward. 

Maybe I should stop nit picking and just enjoy the excellent attacking performances. Aye, I'll do that.

This debate on McGinn really confuses me. With the style of football we play, we're not expecting him to keep possession or control the midfield. We require him to dig in, create chances, take a few risks, and if we lose the ball a couple of times, work with the rest of the team to get it back. He's done that. 

Our current brand of fast football doesn't exactly suit his preferred style, but he's doing exactly what's being asked of him. 

What he does bring to the team is leadership. A few times I've seen him eyeball Stelios if he's play acting... which if were all honest, can be required at times:lol: 

Think he also helps to keep the shape of the team, he knows the game and reads it well. We would be a worse team without him. 

37 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Aye Shut Up:D

Please lets not become one of those pratty clubs that moan when we WIN..........................

All I will say is we have 3 times as many points as we did after 14 games last season!!!!!!

This debate on McGinn really confuses me. With the style of football we play, we're not expecting him to keep possession or control the midfield. We require him to dig in, create chances, take a few risks, and if we lose the ball a couple of times, work with the rest of the team to get it back. He's done that. 

Our current brand of fast football doesn't exactly suit his preferred style, but he's doing exactly what's being asked of him. 

What he does bring to the team is leadership. A few times I've seen him eyeball Stelios if he's play acting... which if were all honest, can be required at times[emoji38] 

Think he also helps to keep the shape of the team, he knows the game and reads it well. We would be a worse team without him. 

I expect him not to give the ball away in dangerous areas, which he did numerous times on Saturday, putting us under pressure. I'm a big fan of McGinn's, as anyone can see from my posts on here, but I feel the need to say when he's not been up to his usual standards, which I don't think he's been this season. Not going to go on a vendetta against him or lambast him for every stray pass, just getting my thoughts across.

My main issue at the moment is lack of protection of the defence, which put us under pressure as Inverness cut right through the centre of us 3 times in ten minutes, with 2 goals and 1 great save by Samson. Like I say, we're winning and scoring goals, so I'll enjoy that, but there will come a time when we need to be tighter, more disciplined and I hope we don't see a repeat of the weaknesses of today.

I realise I've singled out McGinn, which is perhaps unfair, but the defence seem to get all the flak when at times they're not helped by those in front. Game over, game won, on to the next one.  [emoji3]

32 minutes ago, munoz said:

I wasn't . The exclamation mark has other uses .

exclamation
ˌɛkskləˈmeɪʃ(ə)n/  
noun
noun: exclamation; plural noun: exclamations
  1. a sudden cry or remark expressing surprise, strong emotion, or pain.
    "an exclamation of amazement"
    synonyms: cry, call, shout, yell, shriek, roar, bellow, interjection, sudden utterance; ...What one was it ?

2 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Aye Shut Up:D

Please lets not become one of those pratty clubs that moan when we WIN..........................

All I will say is we have 3 times as many points as we did after 14 games last season!!!!!!

Let's also not become a club who can't give a critique of the team after a win. Don't think I was moaning, merely giving my thoughts on a player who has set himself very high standards. We'd be a far weaker unit without him.