The Politics Thread

shull

5 hours ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Still governed by Procurement rules during transition seemingly.
Honestly couldn’t make this up, you’d think that symbolically or in national interest you’d just tell Yorp to poke it, we’ll make our own.
Madness.

I know , I know . Gone are the days when we could just send the RN around to sort of bolster a bit of British diplomacy. .

11 hours ago, rabuddies said:

The procurement process would have started last year. We're still in the EU you know.

The question is, WHY?

They could have waited. As far as I'm aware the EU passport will still be valid until their expiry date so if the Government had wanted to they could have carried on using the same ones until the transition period had ended. All that would have meant was the EU passport would have taken longer to phase out.

Guest TPAFKATS
Some whistle blower claiming the Leave Campaign cheated in the Brexit vote, 
Similarly, it was claimed that the No campaign cheated in the referendum in Scotland but it still didn't matter a jot. .
Similarly the Tories were accused of cheating in the general election and the Lib Dems are being investigated for cheating in a couple of the seats that they won in Scotland in 2016.

Doesn't matter, none of them will be punished.

On 24/03/2018 at 7:41 AM, stlucifer said:

The question is, WHY?

They could have waited. As far as I'm aware the EU passport will still be valid until their expiry date so if the Government had wanted to they could have carried on using the same ones until the transition period had ended. All that would have meant was the EU passport would have taken longer to phase out.

The contract is due to run out soon.  With the 2 year transitional period we're covered by the EU Procurement Directive until April 2021.  What would happen to all the requests for new passports if there was no supplier in place for two or perhaps three years.  As far as I'm aware, nobody knows what the public procurement rules will be post Brexit and suppliers need months to tool up for a job like this after they've got the contract.

1 hour ago, rabuddies said:

The contract is due to run out soon.  With the 2 year transitional period we're covered by the EU Procurement Directive until April 2021.  What would happen to all the requests for new passports if there was no supplier in place for two or perhaps three years.  As far as I'm aware, nobody knows what the public procurement rules will be post Brexit and suppliers need months to tool up for a job like this after they've got the contract.

Then extend the original contract for 2 years, perhaps even a little longer and ensure their is excess stock for the interim period. These EU passports aren't going to disappear. They'll be used for a minimum of 10 years after the final split. If there ever is one.

You can't extend a contract unless you have written it into the procurement notice originally published. If it had already been extended you can't extend it again. The directive is very specific and has to be to avoid a challenge which if it succeeds means compensation and a fine and a new procurement process. If you don't have a supplier on place you can't spend more than £118k in a year on the product. There's no way round it I'm afraid.

• 1 month later...

Home Secretary Amber Rudd resigns while the real culprit, her predecessor Theresa May remains in her current post.

How many of Mays original Cabinet are left? :lol: Probably not a laughing matter as she's taken us into a coalition with the Ulster Unionists and is currently negotiating away another "red line" in the Brexit negotiations - over immigration.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:
2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:
Question : How many people attended the Independence Event in Edinburgh last Saturday? 

100,000 according to reports from foreign news channels.

And16,000 quoted by some here.  Excellent article by Lesley Riddoch in yesterday's Scotsman. 

Guest TPAFKATS
And16,000 quoted by some here.  Excellent article by Lesley Riddoch in yesterday's Scotsman. 
Who to believe the Danish or the BBC? Who's got the vested interest?

2 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
29 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Hey.... That's a tough one TP.  I wonder.  but not for more than a nanosecond.  No footage shown. 

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:
2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

To doubt the BBC is like doubting the word of the Rev .Oakstur it puts you into "crackpot conspiracy theory" territory :lol::lol:

:ph34r:

17 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

To doubt the BBC is like doubting the word of the Rev .Oakstur it puts you into "crackpot conspiracy theory" territory :lol::lol:

That may be. Not the first time I have doubted the BBC or National Statistical data or it's interpretation to name but two. Strangely none of the other channels made much of discussion about it so I am not specifically picking on the BBC.

5 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

That may be. Not the first time I have doubted the BBC or National Statistical data or it's interpretation to name but two. Strangely none of the other channels made much of discussion about it so I am not specifically picking on the BBC.

I didn't think you were Buddie,  I was being sarcastic.  .

The BBC bias was exposed in 2014  which is poor from a public broadcasting service thateveryone who owns a telly is expected to contribute towards , whether you need it or not. .

However you are not being victimised just propagandised.  .

5 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
6 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

There is absolutely no chance 100,000 people turned up.

3 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Nope. What puts you specifically into the crackpot theory group is saying that sugar "toxifies" the body and that all peer reviewed science is paid for by industry.

3 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I didn't think you were Buddie,  I was being sarcastic.  .

The BBC bias was exposed in 2014  which is poor from a public broadcasting service thateveryone who owns a telly is expected to contribute towards , whether you need it or not. .

However you are not being victimised just propagandised.  .

Tin foil hat. Tin foil hat. Be quick about it. :lol:

Guest TPAFKATS
There is absolutely no chance 100,000 people turned up.
Ricky says 16k,
Edinburgh Cooncil spokesperson says 20k,
Police apparently estimated 100k
Danish tv quoted 100k

I wasn't there, were you?