Anyone but England

East Lothian Saint

Being an ordinary member of the forum I get adverts and the current one is for Aida by the English National Opera.

So I say ABE & ABENO!

Oh and would people think so highly of Giuseppe Verdi if he was plain old Joe Green?

This the only way to hear the Grand March from Aida................

Edited by Bud the Baker

9 hours ago, pozbaird said:

What if you have Sky primarily for their NFL and golf coverage? Frankly, I don't know how I sleep at night. I have Sky TV, paid for through the proper channels and not from some bloke down the boozer sorting me out for free. I'm sure some of the trainers I wear were made by nine year old Bangladeshi Morton fans. What should I do?

It's easy. If you've got a contact with the nine year old Bangladeshi Morton fans then next time England are playing get them to rattle up some of their oppositions replica tops and with your mates down the pub wear them with pride when ENGERLUND play like all good Scotsman should. Apparently it helps the economy or something? It's nothing to do with hating the English merely about generating interest in the beautiful game which is always more interesting when there is a bit of niggle in it.    Hence ABE

Guest TPAFKATS
Being an ordinary member of the forum I get adverts and the current one is for Aida by the English National Opera.
So I say ABE & ABENO!
Oh and would people think so highly of Giuseppe Verdi if he was plain old Joe Green?
This the only way to hear the Grand March from Aida................

That's thrown down a gauntlet to W7 this weekend

The whole Anyone but England thing is all a bit embarassing for the most part. Especially given that the English dont care enough to notice our "rage" when they win matches.

What is still funny is when a camera pans round the crowd and a single Scots football shirt is spotted in amongst the opposing team going mental when they score. Watching the English reaction to that can be funny.

Edited by oaksoft

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The whole Anyone but England thing is all a bit embarassing for the most part. Especially given that the English dont care enough to notice our "rage" when they win matches.

What is still funny is when a camera pans round the crowd and a single Scots football shirt is spotted in amongst the opposing team going mental when they score. Watching the English reaction to that can be funny.

P!sh. The Enderlund fans were equally biased when we were qualifying regularly for World Cups and they were left on the sidelines. The mainstream media were less so but that was because they could report on Scotland's regular glorious failure. I would bet the hype would have been tenfold within the fans if we were ever good enough to progress tp the latter stages. They relished bringing up our nearly men status. I was working in England while they spent nearly sixteen years without qualifying and there was jealousy in abundance.

10 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

P!sh. The Enderlund fans were equally biased when we were qualifying regularly for World Cups and they were left on the sidelines. The mainstream media were less so but that was because they could report on Scotland's regular glorious failure. I would bet the hype would have been tenfold within the fans if we were ever good enough to progress tp the latter stages. They relished bringing up our nearly men status. I was working in England while they spent nearly sixteen years without qualifying and there was jealousy in abundance.

Sorry but I have more than enough going on in my life without giving any f**ks over what the mainstream media think about anything. :lol:

What is wrong with you that this matters?

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Sorry but I have more than enough going on in my life without giving any f**ks over what the mainstream media think about anything. :lol:

What is wrong with you that this matters?

Your last sentence is, pretty much, what I posed earlier. The unbelievable level of dislike, for no real reason, shows an unhealthy lack of ability to separate things that matter and things that don't.

31 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Jimmy Hill was a great reason and while you probably couldn't sing his theme tune now. I'll bet everyone did then.

Jimmy Hill was brilliant and did a helluva' lot for the game. I read once that he ended up in a boozer full of the Tartan Army one time and had a ball with them. There was no hatred there... pantomime villain stuff with his 'toe poke' comment and his St George cross bow-ties. IMHO. :)

Edited by pozbaird

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Jimmy Hill was brilliant and did a helluva' lot for the game. I read once that he ended up in a boozer full of the Tartan Army one time and had a ball with them. There was no hatred there... pantomime villain stuff with his 'toe poke' comment and his St George cross bow-ties. IMHO. :)

Yep, I liked him.

I always like people who are prepared to have a strong opinion.

9 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Jimmy Hill was a great reason and while you probably couldn't sing his theme tune now. I'll bet everyone did then.

That didn't work out to well, did it? :lol:

8 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Exactly, people "sang" about him but he was certainly not hated, far from it.

5 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I'm prepared to have a strong opinion, I just haven't found anything that I care enough about to actually have much, or any, of an opinion, never mind a strong one.  I'm definitely prepared, though.

Yeah I see my mistake. I meant to add "and voice it". :P

14 hours ago, faraway saint said:

That didn't work out to well, did it? :lol:

Exactly, people "sang" about him but he was certainly not hated, far from it.

Great response Faraway. Sorry i didn't respond earlier but I was faraway in St Andrews doing a wee job. Still it got a couple of responses and the thread is now on page 2 which is pretty good for one of my threads so cheers mate thanks for keeping it going.

"We're not that keen on James William Thomas Hill OBE because we question his sexual orientation in public but privately we think he's a good guy"

just wouldn't have cut mustard in the old days. Don't get me wrong it's more articulate but it just doesn't have the same attraction as the original uncut version. I personally think that rightly or wrongly football survives on rivalries. Take away local derbies or grudge matches and people lose interest. The Scotland-England Rivalry was fantastic, in my opinion, and with all the historic shit that went on between the two counties it had a good basis to thrive. Go on admit it, If your old enough you sang it too. It didn't just reverberate around Hampden it was blasted out at league games too. Not because of his sexuality but because he was the focus of our football nations angst at the auld enemy.

lthumb.jpg

RIP Jimmy Hill ( Good Guy) - who made sure every Scots man, who cared about rivalry, stayed with the game when their team was too shite to qualify. Founder of the ANYONE BUT ENGLAND CLUB.

4 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Great response Faraway. Sorry i didn't respond earlier but I was faraway in St Andrews doing a wee job. Still it got a couple of responses and the thread is now on page 2 which is pretty good for one of my threads so cheers mate thanks for keeping it going.

"We're not that keen on James William Thomas Hill OBE because we question his sexual orientation in public but privately we think he's a good guy"

just wouldn't have cut mustard in the old days. Don't get me wrong it's more articulate but it just doesn't have the same attraction as the original uncut version. I personally think that rightly or wrongly football survives on rivalries. Take away local derbies or grudge matches and people lose interest. The Scotland-England Rivalry was fantastic, in my opinion, and with all the historic shit that went on between the two counties it had a good basis to thrive. Go on admit it, If your old enough you sang it too. It didn't just reverberate around Hampden it was blasted out at league games too. Not because of his sexuality but because he was the focus of our football nations angst at the auld enemy.

lthumb.jpg

RIP Jimmy Hill ( Good Guy) - who made sure every Scots man, who cared about rivalry, stayed with the game when their team was too shite to qualify. Founder of the ANYONE BUT ENGLAND CLUB.

Aye, ok. :blink: